ID:277043

Is there a program to convert .swf files to normal video files like .avi, .mpg, or .wmv? Preferably a free one that doesn't add an overlay in the center of the screen saying that I'm using a trial version.
just wondering...why would you want to...if you can't normally view the .swf then make something in notepad (or the like) that says
<html><body><embed src="WhateverFile.swf"></embed></body></html>

but i don't know the actual answear...not sure if you can...
In response to Shlaklava
It's a bunch of internet cartoons I downloaded. The person that I'm giving them to doesn't have access to a web browser so the only real way to open them is through a media player like Windows Media Player or WinAmp.
In response to Data-Con
It's kind of maybe not going to work. My only experience of saving them as file types other than .swf has been through the actual .fla source code using Flash 8 or something.

Because of the way .swfs are actually doing calculations with movieclips and stuff - stuff that requires code to be run and so on, saving to something like .mov or .avi might not work at all; the animation might not run or bits of it won't be functional.

(then again it may well be possible. In my experience, I'm thinking it's not gonna happen though.)
In response to Elation
I believe you're right, Elation. In my experience, you need to have made the movie or at least have the .fla file and open it up in Flash to convert it into something other than .swf. You can't just convert the .swf. It's sort of like you're trying to edit the code from a .dmb file and recompile it, when you need the source files to do that.
In response to Justin Knight
Well, I found this program called WinMPG, http://www.winmpg.com . It works, just has the annoying center overlay thing so I don't think it's impossible. I do understand what you're saying. Maybe I can find out another solution with the person's web browser.
Just download a flash player and package it with the cartoons. I think the official player is downloadable from Macromedia's site or Shockwave's.
If you open up a .swf in flash player you can convert it to a .exe(Or at least could back in the days of flash 5). It can be watched on any system regardless of flash access.
If all else fails you could play the Flash file on your computer and record it using one of those video screen capture programs.

Giving them a standalone Flash player as Nadrew suggested might be a better option though.
Perhaps,
http://www.soft32.com/download_77739.html
http://www.mix-fx.com/tutorials/swf2avi-tutorial.html
I dont know if this is exactly what you are looking for but it seems close enough. Google is the best.
In response to Justin Knight
Justin Knight wrote:
In my experience, you need to have made the movie or at least have the .fla file and open it up in Flash to convert it into something other than .swf. You can't just convert the .swf.

Last time I used Flash (At around version 5) you could import .swf files. They won't come in perfectly (they would get imported frame by frame), but you probably could still modify it.

~~> Unknown Person
In response to Unknown Person
Oh yeah, I forgot about importing files. You still need to have Flash, though. He's talking about using a third-party program.
In response to Nadrew
I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, simple and it works, thanks for all your suggestions!
In response to Elation
look at podstar runner its possible to convert them but i cant remember the program that can be used
edit depends on the content being used if its interactive ie a game/buttons likely not but just a flv can be changed