In response to Shlaklava
Come on, it doesn't take a genius to code with BYOND (that's a good thing), otherwise the world would have a lot fewer Naruto games!

[Edit]
I'm sorry, that was a stupid thing to say. Please stop quoting my temporary lack of intellect.
In response to ShadowUser
ShadowUser wrote:
Come on, it doesn't take a genius to code with BYOND (that's a good thing), otherwise the world would have a lot fewer Naruto games!

I'm not saying that it does.
In response to Shlaklava
Well, I really shouldn't talk. I've never finished a game of my own!
ShadowUser wrote:

Okay, go look at Lummox's code sometime and tell me exactly what it does.
ShadowUser wrote:
Do skilled programmers comment their code? If thats so, I'm the as noobish as it gets!

Skilled programmers do comment their code if they're thinking ahead. And unless they're Dan.

Lummox JR
In response to Foomer
Ok, ok, I'm sorry. I'm a newbie programmer. I admit it! Alright?!
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
ShadowUser wrote:
Do skilled programmers comment their code? If thats so, I'm the as noobish as it gets!

Skilled programmers do comment their code if they're thinking ahead. And unless they're Dan.

Lummox JR

Dan didn't comment?!?!? No wonder it would take a long time for updating what he wrote.

On a side note: Is he ever coming back?
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:
On a side note: Is he ever coming back?

Dude, just drop it. He's dead and gone, and not coming back. It'll be easier for everyone if you just come to accept this.

You can't keep living a lie!
I'm not totally worthless: [link]
In response to Elation
Maybe Lummox is Dan, he just though it'd be fun to develop stuff with BYOND instead of developing BYOND for a while, and pretend to be a regular user. But he got tired of it and now he's developing BYOND again.
In response to Foomer
And your basis? I'm sorry, but it's really irritating when a person replies to a post with a simple "yes it does," or "no it doesn't," in argument. Let's not forget we need some sort of support, being opinion or explanation or anything. :/

All you have to do is look at the code. Maybe it's the way I think, but I never have problems understanding my own code, provided that proper and descriptive, yet short variable names are used, and even then so, it's always easy for my to understand my own work.

How well you work in a group is a different idea, and I think commenting your code would be key here. Commenting is easy as pie and therefore should not affect your rating as a programmer. It really has nothing to do with skill in programming, but only being able to tell what you've done. Being able to understand uncommented code, however, should affect your rating.

[Edit]
I also don't mean to flame you, I respect your works as a pixel artist and programmer.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
And your basis? I'm sorry, but it's really irritating when a person replies to a post with a simple "yes it does," or "no it doesn't," in argument. Let's not forget we need some sort of support, being opinion or explanation or anything. :/

Who are you saying it to?

All you have to do is look at the code. Maybe it's the way I think, but I never have problems understanding my own code, provided that proper and descriptive, yet short variable names are used, and even then so, it's always easy for my to understand my own work.

But what if you need help? What if you are trying to help others?

How well you work in a group is a different idea, and I think commenting your code would be key here.

True, others need help with your code. Also having similar styles is a great plus.

Commenting is easy as pie and therefore should not affect your rating as a programmer.

It's more of the decision to do/not comment. That will effect you in the long run, wether or not you think so.

Being able to understand uncommented code, however, should affect your rating.

Yes and no. No matter how good you are at programming, cryptic code will be extremely hard to understand.
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:

How well you work in a group is a different idea, and I think commenting your code would be key here. Commenting is easy as pie and therefore should not affect your rating as a programmer. It really has nothing to do with skill in programming, but only being able to tell what you've done. Being able to understand uncommented code, however, should affect your rating.

[Edit]
I also don't mean to flame you, I respect your works as a pixel artist and programmer.

No it doesn't! =D
In response to Shlaklava
When I am asking for help or giving help, I try to make sure I explain everything that I can as well as I can. My programming style and readability has changed quite a bit since I last asked for help on these forums for programming. I think you'll find that my programming style is very easy to understand.

Also, in reply to that thing you said about cryptic code, though it may be hard to understand, good programmers can do it while newbies cannot. Of course, this does mostly depend on how cryptic or unorganized it is.

I'm not saying it isn't helpful, I'm saying that it shouldn't affect how well you are taken as a good programmer.
http://www.icsharpcode.net/TechNotes/Commenting20020413.pdf has some interesting things to say about commenting code.

Beyond what that says (mostly the first part), I can speak from my own experience when I say that commenting come in very handy when you revisit old code, or you just can't remember how something you made earlier works. Its not that you can't understand your own code, its just that its a whole lot faster to write the comment ahead of time than it is to try and understand it without the comment later.

For me, it also makes it a lot easier to find the chunk of code that I want to work with when I have each section commented explaining what each chunk does.
Becoming a good programmer doesn't happen over night and takes a lot of effort and practice. I think the biggest problem here is people are comparing themselves with other people who are still in the process of learning the basics and end up thinking they are really better than they are and start perpetuating nonsense.

Learning the language is a very small step in becoming a good programmer though it helps to know the quirks of a language before you can program in it well. But before you can really notice or understand these quirks you have to understand enough about programming.

Memorizing the reference is just silly. It is much more important to know how to use it and understand it than it is to be able to recite it. Just like memorizing a bunch of formulas in math is little help compared to knowing what they mean and how to properly use them.

Proper optimization goes well beyond using less variables and in some cases that'll just end up being detrimental. A properly built bubble sort is never going to be faster than a decent quick sort on a large number of items regardless on how many tricks and optimizations you do on the bubble sort simply because of how many less iterations you'll preform with the quick sort. Knowing a wide variety of data structures and algorithms along with their advantages and disadvantages is much more critical to efficient code. Even something as simple as knowing what a stack or a linked list are and what advantages and pitfalls they have is probably well beyond the scope of what some of the people who think they know what they are doing here despite being trivial, common, and the basis for much more complex data structures.

There is a wide divide between the experienced programmers and the new ones because the experienced ones have experience. They've either had real world work experience or some kind of higher education in it and have been doing it for many many years. Don't try and rush it so you can brag about it otherwise you'll just make yourself out to be a fool.
In response to Theodis
Woah, d00d. You think you've got all the answers, don't ya? Some of what you said is what we've been saying, some of what you said is obvious, and some of what you said is just wrong. You don't need college to be experienced! That's just what the colleges want you to think. Everyone thinks that you'll amount to nothin' if you don't go to college. Rubbish!

You think your all that, eh?
Considering he's one of the best programmers on BYOND, and works in creating videogames commercially, I believe, yea, he knows what he's talking about.
I missed the part where he said you have to go to college to be experienced. 0.o
Don't harass the trees.
Page: 1 2 3 4