ID:277602

That's right I figured I'd host a BYOND competition to try and get people working more with 4.0 so here it is. Although the prizes aren't much they're all I can really afford... <_< so I'll get straight into them as that's what people want to hear.

The winners prize will be 200 dollars via Paypal only (Sorry if you can't use paypal, but I will be willing to discuss other payment methods possibly) along with this, the winner will also receive a free hosting spot for their entry courtesy of digitalBYOND!

Any other games that I believe to be worthy will receive a BYOND membership as well. :)

The rules? Simple!

Create and write a storyline and/or description of a world in which the game will be played. I'm trying to get in touch with peoples creative side here, I want people to write at least a page of literature that includes setting, characters and a plot if you want one. You will then have to create a game which takes place in the world featured in your story, capturing the feeling of it as much as you can. Your game does not have to PLAY OUT the storyline, just fit into the setting and have somewhat of a relation. Please be creative here, I don't want 100 of typical medieval fantasy style games. That's not saying I don't want ANY, but broaden it a bit, think futuristic, think completely ancient, think modern. Just try and make it as unique as possible and tell the story well.

Do not submit games that are already in production. You MUST start from scratch.

The game MUST be created in 4.0.I want all icons, images, code and whatever else is used in the game to be original. Libs are allowed. But please don't just plug tons of libs into your game, keep as original as you can. I expect a list of libs used when you email me with the game.

You may use music and sounds from websites or other places as long as it is legal to do so or if you are creating them then you will definately be influencing my judgement positively.

Your game may be of any genre, it can be an RPG, strategy, action or whatever you see fit into the story you have created.

Groups are allowed up to a maximum of 3 people and this WILL be taken into consideration for who wins, I expect good projects from those in groups.

Deadlines are 2 weeks to submit a story for the game which you should email to [email protected]

As for the game itself, I plan on giving everyone a month to hopefully work significantly with it and see how far everyone is by then, if the majority are finished, then I will end it soon after that, if not, I'll extend it. When submitting the game, all of the sourcecode must be submitted but will not be used by myself it is merely so I can check it is all original, to submit your game, the same email will be used but please zip all files when sending. I will also take into consideration any concept art etc you have made.
If you can, also include a form of contact such as MSN or AIM. (MSN preferrable)

Good luck! D:
Game sabre wrote:
Although the prizes aren't much they're all I can really afford...

The winners prize will be 200 dollars

Any other games that I believe to be worthy will receive a BYOND membership as well. :)

Pardon me for saying this, but saying "200 dollars" "[isn't] much" is like saying that a free all-expenses paid vacation to Aruba is just a getaway. ;-)

That's the largest prize anyone has offered for anything on BYOND! I don't think even the iPod that BYOND gave away a while ago matches that prize's value.
Wow, $200 isn't alot? Are you rich? Anyways, I think I might hop on this..And I pretty much assume you won't just give the $200 to anyone in case they're the only person to enter..
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
Wow, $200 isn't alot? Are you rich? Anyways, I think I might hop on this..And I pretty much assume you won't just give the $200 to anyone in case they're the only person to enter..

Nah, I'm not rich, I just figured there had been competitions with bigger prizes.
In response to Game sabre
Why must you host the best contest RIGHT when i have to go back to school! Never the less I will make time to enter 200 buck WOW!

-Genjura
I think you are kind of being narrow minded on the entire thing. Most of the libraries on BYOND were put up for people to use. Most of them have been proven to be good, fast and effective libraries for people to use in their games, instead of having to write a whole set of libraries for their game from scratch. Why make something if it is already out there and works great? Most of the past BYOND contests freely allowed BYONDers use of libraries. If you are going to allow a select few, you should just allow them all. There is a differance between using a ripped source code and using a freely distributed library on BYOND.

I agree with the other people, the music part wasn't really fair, a lot of people wouldn't even know where to begin to start to make their own music or sound effects for their BYOND game, I know I wouldn't. So what you are saying is, if you don't know how to, or can't make your own music, your screwed. I think the contest is a great idea, but I think it requires a little bit more thinking on your part.
In response to Revenant Jesus
Revenant Jesus wrote:
I think you are kind of being narrow minded on the entire thing. Most of the libraries on BYOND were put up for people to use. Most of them have been proven to be good, fast and effective libraries for people to use in their games, instead of having to write a whole set of libraries for their game from scratch. Why make something if it is already out there and works great? Most of the past BYOND contests freely allowed BYONDers use of libraries. If you are going to allow a select few, you should just allow them all. There is a differance between using a ripped source code and using a freely distributed library on BYOND.

I agree with the other people, the music part wasn't really fair, a lot of people wouldn't even know where to begin to start to make their own music or sound effects for their BYOND game, I know I wouldn't. So what you are saying is, if you don't know how to, or can't make your own music, your screwed. I think the contest is a great idea, but I think it requires a little bit more thinking on your part.

True, I just really wanted people to get in touch with their talents. I know people won't be perfect at everything. They may suck at one thing but be great in another and show it through that. Hence why my decisions were that way. But I've taken your advice. Libs will be allowed.
Host a competition right when everyone is going back to school, why don't you! And for those who are not going back to school, they might as well just not participate. No game is completely original. For one, they are all games.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Host a competition right when everyone is going back to school, why don't you! And for those who are not going back to school, they might as well just not participate. No game is completely original. For one, they are all games.

I understand this, but that's why there is no hard deadline, merely a month till I check how everyone is doing.
Would be good if someone would do game in a day again its been summer and one haven't been done.

Yorae
In response to Yorae
Yorae wrote:
Would be good if someone would do game in a day again its been summer and one haven't been done.

Yorae

I can never please anyone ;P
Bigger prizes? You're crazy. I've seen a free membership at the most, and that is only $15. Don't you have better things to do with your $200 then to give it away to some random person who created a video game? Geez. If you don't want it, just give me it. $200 of beer money would always be nice.
In response to Cavern
Cavern wrote:
Bigger prizes? You're crazy. I've seen a free membership at the most, and that is only $15. Don't you have better things to do with your $200 then to give it away to some random person who created a video game? Geez. If you don't want it, just give me it. $200 of beer money would always be nice.

You know I'd never thought people would tell me the prize is too BIG.
Game sabre wrote:

You know I'd never thought people would tell me the prize is too BIG.

Nah its not TOO big its just SUPRISINGLY big..0_0
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Shall I lower it? :P
Nah $200 is juuuust fine..Thats plenty inspiration..
You should get people to donate and make it higher duh aim to make it the biggest contest BYOND has ever seen!
Wait if we were to work in a team would we individually get 200?. Lol
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
How is it that you are giving all these cash and prizes out and yet you yourself don't have a membership. Seems kinda fishy.

-Genjura
In response to Hulio-G
Hulio-G wrote:
Wait if we were to work in a team would we individually get 200?. Lol

No.
Page: 1 2