In response to Tales Number TwO
Tales Number TwO wrote:
atom = area-turf-obj-mob -_- I dont understand how you created such a successful(DragonBall Z: Heroes United) game without knowing what atom is.

I knew plenty well what an atom was, never knew it stood for that though. Whats the d in datum for?
In response to Falacy
Datum is just a scientific singular for data. A piece of information.
In response to Falacy
I would like to point out that I didn't know what ATOM stood for until I found it reading through a random BYOND forum thread. (Not this one, btw)

Knowing what atom stands for isn't necessary to program in BYOND, and in fact.. You don't even need to know what an atom is to program in BYOND. Saying that is the case is a bit arrogant.

You can program a lot of things without knowing every aspect of the language, or even most of them. That's one of the beauties of it.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Sorry. The ranking system from your Naruto show doesn't carry over to reality.

by the way i dont watch or like naruto but i watch bleach though
Since we are talking on tangents, Bleach pwns. The most imbalanced show ever created, but pwns nonetheless. Like more imbalanced than DBZ imbalanced...
In response to AJX
I assumed that every coder knew what atom stand for, but i guess i was wrong and you are right that you don't need to know what atom stands for to code.The only reason that i know what atom stand for is because when i post on the forum for help most people just give me the link to the DM recourse or guide not fully explaining to me my problem. I read it so many times and i still dont know enough to create a game by myself. All i know how to do is to fix errors ,code verbs,etc.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Discouraging learning is how you end up with over 9,000 rips.

Actually the biggest reason why people rip is because they dont know how to code and byond is doing nothing to encourage learning.
Obviously you don't have to understand the name of something if you just understand how it works. Besides, your post is pretty funny. =P

Tales Number TwO wrote:
atom = area-turf-obj-mob -_- I dont understand how you created such a successful(DragonBall Z: Heroes United) game without knowing what atom is.

I think there must have been rather successful DBZ games of authors who knew less. :P Besides, Tom himself said that acronym was actually unintentional; he might even not have known of it for a little while! He must be a bad koder! :P

Atom would actually likely refer to how atoms are the types of the basic building blocks of the map; just like actual atoms are a kind of basic particles building up our world itself.
Or at least, that's how I've always thought of it, but I think that was the initial intention as well; it also correlates with the choice of "datum", also an actual word - datums are like even more basic building blocks than atoms; a datum is a single little piece of data, with no physical body, but an atom is a full fledged 'substance' (or something XD) with physical location and attributes.
It's already been said that atom doesn't stand for anything.
Tales Number TwO wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Problem: There is no objective measure of programmer skill. Programming is very much an art, and it is impossible to gauge the relative merits of a piece of code in a standardized way.

we might not be able to find the person knowledge of coding precisely but we can see somewhat of the level they are in and try to help them depending on their level.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Programming skill is not measurable. It can, by an expert but not any kind of automated test, be subjected to some amount of comparison. There is no way at all any kind of test could get even a very rough measurement of programming skill, unless that test was graded by a person.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
And that test had every possible question askable on it. The DM language is pretty vast, people are bound to be better at some parts than others.
Page: 1 2