In response to AJX
I've known about them since '04 >_> Didn't listen to anything from them though, partly due to not knowing if they were any good. (Alot of rap fanatics did nothing but talk about them in a community I used to be a part of, that steered me away from them quite a bit)
In response to AJX
People going "wau, you don't know band X? WTF?" on the Internet is very silly (even more so than in real life). You have to keep in mind not everybody on the Internet lives where you do, or even on the same continent, so if band X happens to be widely known in your particular region it doesn't necessarily mean anything about them. It's not that small of a world. =P
Who's System of a Down?
In response to Kaioken
hay guys has u herd of interpol they amazing
Sorry, that was needed >_>; And no, I don't like the band.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
People going "wau, you don't know band X? WTF?" on the Internet is very silly (even more so than in real life). You have to keep in mind not everybody on the Internet lives where you do, or even on the same continent, so if band X happens to be widely known in your particular region it doesn't necessarily mean anything about them. It's not that small of a world. =P
Who's System of a Down?

Yea I'm aware. But I'm willing to bet 9 1/2 / 10 people know who the the Beatles are... I'm not sure what relevance that has to anything...

Actually,... Wait no, there's no relevance.
In response to AJX
One would hope 9/10 people know The Beatles, but with them being a 60s band, they're too "old" for most youngsters. (This wasn't meant as an offensive statement - it's generally accepted that most teenagers nowadays don't care much for older music. Emphasis on "most")
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
One would hope 9/10 people know The Beatles, but with them being a 60s band, they're too "old" for most youngsters. (This wasn't meant as an offensive statement - it's generally accepted that most teenagers nowadays don't care much for older music. Emphasis on "most")

That's quite sad, but it is true. Although, I do not listen to the genre of music the Beatles were in, I can somewhat relate. I asked a kid, around 9, did he know who Tupac or Rundmc were, he said no. But of course, when I asked him about the moron named Soulja Boy, he immediately knew and said he was incredible.

I believe all genres of music have declined, I sincerely cannot see a few genres (rap) degrade anymore...
In response to OrdinaryOrangutan
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
I believe all genres of music have declined, I sincerely cannot see a few genres (rap) degrade anymore...

Genres don't decline.

Also, I think you're just listening to the wrong music.
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
Vic Rattlehead wrote:

That's quite sad, but it is true. Although, I do not listen to the genre of music the Beatles were in, I can somewhat relate. I asked a kid, around 9, did he know who Tupac or Rundmc were, he said no. But of course, when I asked him about the moron named Soulja Boy, he immediately knew and said he was incredible.

Deltron 3030 - While it is almost ten years old, it is about the best rap or hip-hop album released in the last ten years. It should also be getting a sequel anytime now. Unfortunately, it can't be recommended to most rap or hip-hop fans as the IQ level required to understand it is rather high.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
No, alot of newer music is generally much, much worse then older music. A few good newer bands does not make all new music good.
Though it really should be obvious, very rarely do the popular bands actually produce the good music. I really don't think this has been true since the 50s and 60s.
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
I asked a kid, around 9, did he know who Tupac or Rundmc were, he said no.

Ah, yes. When I try to get a good idea of what the average person knows about popular music, I tend to run to someone who isn't aware what a pubic hair is.
In response to Popisfizzy
Alot of bands I listen to are, or were popular at one point. (well, with the exception of Power Quest, I've never seen anyone else talk about them)
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
No, alot of newer music is generally much, much worse then older music. A few good newer bands does not make all new music good.

That is a matter of opinion, and what exactly are you trying to prove...? What's your point? I would never claim that a few good bands made all new music good, because that is simply ridiculous and I don't know where you got that idea from. MY point was if you don't like the music you are listening to, don't listen to it. There is 50 metric fucktons of good music in this world. What you know is a very small portion of the musical world. Step outside the shell.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
Deltron 3030 - While it is almost ten years old, it is about the best rap or hip-hop album released in the last ten years. It should also be getting a sequel anytime now. Unfortunately, it can't be recommended to most rap or hip-hop fans as the IQ level required to understand it is rather high.

I think Aesop Rock is better, but Deltron 3030 sounds good nonetheless and you've introduced me to it. Thanks! If you like instrumentals (and some otherwise weird music), look up RJD2 and Prefuse 73.
ACDC
Aerosmith
Aesop Rock
Beastie Boys
Beatles
Beck
Breaking Benjamin
Children of Bodom
Cradle of Filth
Daft Punk
Deltron 3030
Dethklok
Dimmu borgir
Dropkick Murphys
Distrurbed
Finntroll
Flyleaf
From Autumn to Ashes
Funtastic Power!
God is an Astronaut
Gogol Bordello
If These Trees Could Talk
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
Justice
Led Zeppelin
Lupe Fiasco
Matchbox 20
Mastadon
Megadeth
Metallica
Mudvayne
Neutral Milk Hotel
Nightwish
Oasis
Opeth
Paramore
Pearl Jam
Prefuse 73
Queen
Queens Against the Stone Age
Rage Against the Machine
Rammstein
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rise Against
Rob Zombie
RJD2
Slipknot
Smashing Pumpkins
Sublime
System of a Down
The Prodigy
The Ramones
The Rolling Stones
The Who
This Will Destroy You
Third Eye Blind
Tool
Twisted Sister
White Zombie

This is my usual playlist. I have a collection of songs from the 90s (most of the artists I don't really care for, I just like remembering the 90s :P)
Popisfizzy wrote:
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
I asked a kid, around 9, did he know who Tupac or Rundmc were, he said no.

Ah, yes. When I try to get a good idea of what the average person knows about popular music, I tend to run to someone who isn't aware what a pubic hair is.

No duh, which further reinforces what I was saying. The younger generation doesn't know much about "good" music.
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:

Genres don't decline.

Also, I think you're just listening to the wrong music.

I highly doubt it. By the way, when I say "all" music has declined in QUALITY (since you're going to be a smartass about it); I basically mean the "popular" mainstream genres.

Rock
Hip-Hop
R&B

Other genres are still okay.

Blues
Electronica
Jazz
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:

I think Aesop Rock is better, but Deltron 3030 sounds good nonetheless and you've introduced me to it. Thanks! If you like instrumentals (and some otherwise weird music), look up RJD2 and Prefuse 73.

Aesop Rock - Me likey.
RJD2 - Interesting to say the least.
Prefuse 73 - Very cool.

Overall, it looks like I have a few more albums to look for.

P.S. Fun Fact: All three of the artists involved in Deltron 3030 contributed to the first Gorillaz album. If nothing else, the rapper's voice should be familiar.
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
The younger generation doesn't know much about "good" music.

Probably because the younger generation you're referring to is nine. That's like fretting that the same younger generation doesn't know basic chemistry.
Popisfizzy wrote:
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
The younger generation doesn't know much about "good" music.

Probably because the younger generation you're referring to is nine. That's like fretting that the same younger generation doesn't know basic chemistry.

Not exactly, I was using it as an example seeing as that was the most recent encounter I had. I can easily say that majority of the people around my age (that I have seen of course) don't know much about "good" music as well. But what you, them, and I consider good music will vastly differ. So there is no point in continuing.
Page: 1 2 3 4