Lots and lots of Joe Budden.
And some Blu.

Sparing the long list, of course.
In response to OrdinaryOrangutan
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
The younger generation doesn't know much about "good" music.

Probably because the younger generation you're referring to is nine. That's like fretting that the same younger generation doesn't know basic chemistry.

Not exactly, I was using it as an example seeing as that was the most recent encounter I had. I can easily say that majority of the people around my age don't know much about "good" music as well. Although, I'm guessing this is all about opinions.

You can easily assertain someone's interest and knowledge in music by asking a few simple questions.

1) Do you think that Beethoven was a good musician?
2) Can you name the memebers of The Beatles?
3) Do you think that Nickleback are good musicians?
*Note: Nickleback can be interchanged with any other pop artist for the sake of being a pop artist, e.g., Buck Cherry, Soulja Boy, or Britney Spears.

Answers:
1) No means that the testee doesn't respect music. A simple answer, "Yes," means that the testee is a poser and answering just to answer it.
2) Not being able to answer this one means a general lack of knowledge of music and it's backgrounds.
3) Anything but no means that the testee's opinion on music is flawed and not worth a damn.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
I find all your tests flawed, as I do not enjoy good old music. I don't really listen to rap either, but still.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
I find all your tests flawed, as I do not enjoy good old music. I don't really listen to rap either, but still.

The questions weren't about what you like or dislike, they were about respect, history, and whether or not your opinion matters, in that order.
  • Respect: Whether or not you like someone's music isn't a gauge of respect
  • History: How is knowing a band's members a gauge of your knowledge of musical history? I could say you know nothing about musical history because you can't name the man that wrote "Prelude".
  • Whether your opinion matters: that's just prejudice.

• <\ul>
Very entertaining post. All of it was silly, but I especially like question 1, where looking at it practically, no matter what one answers, he comes off badly. ;)
1: Dunno, only liked Moonlight Sonata
2: Ringo Starr/Paul McCartney/George Harrisson (pretty sure the spelling is correct)/John Lennon
3: Really now? Answering that I like grunge-styled music means my opinion isn't "worth a damn"? The only grunge band I hate is Pearl Jam.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
3: Really now? Answering that I like grunge-styled music means my opinion isn't "worth a damn"?

Nickelback really is an absolutely terrible band. Their music is all the same, and their lyrics are shallow and hedonistic. The only decent song they have is "Side of a Bullet", and its saving grace is that the main riff was written by Dimebag Darrell, who was a far better musician than any of them.

The only grunge band I hate is Pearl Jam.

Which is unfortunate because Pearl Jam is quite awesome.
In response to Popisfizzy
I personally prefer the other 3 of the big four of grunge. (Nirvana/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains)
I didn't even know until recently Pearl Jam made albums past Ten.

And music being all the same is an opinion, at best. Applies more for modern rap/hiphop if anything else.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
1) Do you think that Beethoven was a good musician?

Your catch-22 there is hilarious, though you do allow an opt-out for a detailed reason of why they think Beethoven is a good musician, which is silly seeing as how not everyone has that time, or cares to do so. You also indiscriminately say that a negative answer indicates they don't respect music, even if they are an avid fan of classical music and dislike Beethoven (i.e., find him overrated or some such), which is something I've encountered.

2) Can you name the memebers of The Beatles?

Or simply no knowledge of the Beatles. Sorry to intrude on your horribly propped-up belief about the history of music, but it extends a little bit further back than 1960. There are people who have great respect for popular music, but not for modern music.

*Note: Nickleback can be interchanged with any other pop artist for the sake of being a pop artist, e.g., Buck Cherry, Soulja Boy, or Britney Spears.

Of course, there are pure pop artists who are still very good, like The Beach Boys and The Mamas and the Papas.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
  • Respect: Whether or not you like someone's music isn't a gauge of respect
  • History: How is knowing a band's members a gauge of your knowledge of musical history? I could say you know nothing about musical history because you can't name the man that wrote "Prelude".
  • Whether your opinion matters: that's just prejudice.

• <\ul>

274. Nobuo Uematsu - Prelude (2:52)

No comment.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:

Of course, there are pure pop artists who are still very good, like The Beach Boys and The Mamas and the Papas.

Yes, they were pop artists, but they weren't pop artists for the sake of being pop artists. Nickleback's song, "Rockstar," pretty much sums it up. They're making music just to be popular.
Same could be said for any band at some point. Tsk tsk.
Soulja Boy does the same, Snoop Dogg does, anyother rap/hip-hop artist... any indie rock artist(s)... do I win?
Sure, every artist wants to be recognized for making good music. But don't you think there is a difference between compromising artistry(Snoop Dogg, Soulja Boy) in order to make a quick buck and those who seek to be recognized as [one of] the best at their craft?
In response to T3h B4tman
Nickelback would've stopped long ago if all they were in for was a quick buck, or rather, they don't even have to tour at all. (Steely Dan is a rather famous band, and they haven't toured for SEVERAL years)
They're not in it for a quick buck, but they are in it solely for the money. Hell, they're not even subtle about it. Do you listen to their lyrics? Sex, drugs, and money. That's all of it. Every shallow, tedious, terrible bit of it.
That's a red-herring. Being coherent does not equate to artistic talent.
Writing coherent lyrics does mean you're doing something right at the very least, something ALOT of Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop artists can't do.
The fray
Coldplay(a little)
Page: 1 2 3 4