ID:278178

Video, audio and microphone?
By audio, I mean sound that would generally go out of speakers.
I haven't seen any programs (that're free, anyway) that can do this, it's either one or the other. (or have some stupid limitations/huge watermark)

HyperCam/CamStudio both do one or the other, sadly not both.
You might want to check out the audiophiles guild.

There was something about the program Audacity as well, you might want to check that out.
In response to GhostAnime
I'm terribly sorry - it seems I forgot to mention something.
I want video to be recorded too (CamStudio can do Video and Audio or Video and Mic... not both, sadly)
In response to Vic Rattlehead
You'll be hard-pressed to find one that records both live sound (usually marked "What U Hear", for some reason) and microphone input. You would be better off adding the microphone in later, or having whatever you're using your microphone with output the sound so it can be picked up by the "What U Hear" channel (just watch out for feedback)
In response to DarkCampainger
Hm, that's a shame. Video game reviews/reactions to some stuff is kinda hard to do a second time through for microphone input.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Hm, that's a shame. Video game reviews/reactions to some stuff is kinda hard to do a second time through for microphone input.

Then just set it up to play the mic input through the speakers; problem solved.
In response to DarkCampainger
My mic is attached to a headset, and it wouldn't be able to go near the ear parts if I'm wearing it (or go near it at all...).
Sounds like you want a Digital Camcorder. Although my new laptop came with Dell Webcam Studio which recorded both live sounds and input from my headset, but only recorded video with the built in webcam. Not sure if that's available for free, but its worth checking into.
Record everything screen related with CamStudio or HyperCam, then record mic audio with Audacity. Then find a free video editor to splice the two together. If all your video is simply screen captures, being out of sync by 1/2 second with the spoken word would not be an issue.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
being out of sync by 1/2 second with the spoken word would not be an issue.

...to most. It's annoying seeing their lips move, but no words coming out. Or the SFX coming late during a fight scene or something.
In response to Spunky_Girl
In this case, that isn't an issue. He is doing screen capturing, so you don't see his face. Sound syncing can be horrible when not done correctly, but if you don't see the source of the sound(someone talking for example), it really isn't a big issue.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Danial.Beta wrote:
being out of sync by 1/2 second with the spoken word would not be an issue.

...to most. It's annoying seeing their lips move, but no words coming out. Or the SFX coming late during a fight scene or something.

Glad I'm not the only one. After years of hanging in the AMV community, I get flustered at videos if the sound is a tenth of a second out of sync.
Is it even possible to have both programs start recording and end at the same time? If it's a last resort, I guess I could just voice-over it...
Press record at the same time(ish). You can resync in post. Because you don't need extremely high accuracy it wouldn't be hard.
I see. That'd get rather hard to keep doing (considering I'd have to break it up every 9 minutes or so (thanks YouTube video length limit...)), but if that's the only choice I guess I'll do that.
Post processing of video is important no matter what the length. I'm not sure what the best low cost/free video editors are, but learning them can be a valuable skill, and it will help keep the quality of your work high enough that people take you at least a little seriously. You might want to search google for something like "podcasting tips and tricks" to find out how podcasters do things like time management, keeping track of needed edits during recording, and keeping volumes leveled.

I know it sounds like a lot, but if you want your videos to not look like a 16 year old did them in his bedroom(even if that is the case), you need to spend some time making sure it is right. Of course, the most important thing is the content, but it is best to make sure the content can shine and people wont be pushed away by things like volume issue and poor editing.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
I'm terribly sorry - it seems I forgot to mention something.
I want video to be recorded too (CamStudio can do Video and Audio or Video and Mic... not both, sadly)

Uncheck that box and start talking into your microphone. Hear what happens =)
If you're using Windows you might want to try Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/ encoder/default.mspx)
It takes a bit of setting up but you can save the configurations so once you've set it up once to record what you want you can just load the config and start recording straight away.
In response to Hazman
I have that (And tried it out), without recording sound (and just mic)... it's laggy as hell while recording.
I have that same issue...