In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Why can't it have two people on your list if they have the same name? I have two Paul's on my list yet only ONE ever show up.
Solution: None. However, my MSN has been failing even worse now, and doesn't even acknowledge if my friends change their names.

I don't have this problem, and I've got at least two Seths and at least two other Ryans on my buddy list. Anyway, if it's a continuing problem, try adding a last initial.

When talking to someone, the input bar isn't resizable, your avatar and the other person's avatar don't show up at ALL, which is silly. What's the purpose of it then?
Solution: ...none? It's more of a quirk than anything, really.

Another problem I've never seen. My input bar resizes as I type, eg when I get to the end of a line it grows to fit a new line. Also, the person's buddy icon is always visible in the top right corner.

And my last one - when in the MSN part of Pidgin you can't change your description, which is irritating as I like to put song quotes there.
Solution: Log into MSN, put in my description there, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, end process msnmsngr.exe so it doesn't take up 99CPU, and go back to Pidgin.

I'm not sure what "description" means, but if it's your "available" status message, you can change it by typing new text into the box below the status bar, at the very bottom of the buddy list.

And finally: The plugins suck, badly. Hardly any descriptions on ANY of them.

That is, unfortunately, totally true and reproducible on my side. ;-)

One thing to make sure you try: download the very latest version of Pidgin. They update it on a continuing basis with bug fixes and features, and I don't know if it has an auto-update feature on Windows or not; but make sure you have a recent copy.
In response to Ryan P
An input bar that resizes based on how much is in the text box is just retarded. For gods sake, even AIM lets you resize that.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
That's the description thing I was talking about. It isn't modifiable at all in Pidgin.

Even if I give the Paul that appears an alias, the other one WON'T show up. Why does this happen? Should I reinstall Pidgin?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
An input bar that resizes based on how much is in the text box is just retarded. For gods sake, even AIM lets you resize that.

Yeah, when they made that change a lot of people complained, but it totally makes sense to me. You get as much space as you want/need, but never have to take up a bunch of screen real-estate to display empty white space.

Even if I give the Paul that appears an alias, the other one WON'T show up. Why does this happen? Should I reinstall Pidgin?

Maybe try re-installing with the latest version -- and if that doesn't work, Pidgin has an IRC room where you can ask questions.
In response to Ryan P
IRC, nice. I love installing programs that I won't use after one use.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
IRC, nice. I love installing programs that I won't use after one use.

That is where you use browser based utilities such as mibbit.
Pidgin does IRC. No need to install anything.
Page: 1 2