ID:278188

That's just ridiculous, who in their RIGHT mind will pay that much for a freaking program?

I think even HyperCam (LOL) is only like... 50$.
Where are you reading that?

This is from their website:

"You can download and use it completely free - yep - completely 100% free for your personal and commercial projects as CamStudio and the Codec are released under the GPL (for more details on this license, click here.)

There are no royalties or any monies to pay - although if you do use it for a commercial product, I wouldn't say no to a copy of whatever you produce :)"
There are programs out there that are even more expensive. SolidWorks is like $5000.
In response to Sandlight
There are lots of programs that are $5000+ PER LICENSE -- if you're buying to stock a dozen workstations, you're talking many tens of thousands of dollars just for software.
In response to Ryan P
Yeah, the IBM Rational suite for instance, $5000+ a pop.
In response to DarkCampainger
Wrong CamStudio.

He's referring to Camtasia Studio which I linked to in a recent Dream Makers article.

The reason I chose that program is 'cause it's easy to use (seriously, no learning curve) and the 30 day trial should be more than enough to make one or two videos of your game. (After that though, you'll have to find another program or purchase that one.)
In response to Tiberath
There's a difference between the two programs?
I doubt Camtasia is much better, considering no screen recorder so far (that I've seen) records Audio and Microphone input. (which is the only reason I'd even shell out 20$ for the program, but then they'd be retards and put limited uses on the key used to register the program)
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
That's just ridiculous, who in their RIGHT mind will pay that much for a freaking program?

Who would pay $299 for a program? You've underestimated the software industry. Some products of note: Speaking of Autodesk...having acquired Maya, Softimage, Mudbox and several others, shouldn't some antitrust organizations be on their case about monopolizing the 3D modeling market?
In response to Kuraudo
Who would pay 700$ for an image editing program?
Much less ANY of those others you mentioned. Exceeding 100$ for a program you can find better free alternatives to is ridiculous!
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Ugh, you always tend to argue and rant on things you're not versed enough in. Heck, even the reason you started this thread is because you were wrong about a price of a program. >_>

Vic Rattlehead wrote:

Perhaps whoever wants and can afford a professional one. And you can trust some of those get good amounts of purchases with that price.
You seem to mock such programs being sold non-cheaply, you do realize that some people do various image editing for a living, right? Or software making, for that matter.
In response to Kaioken
Professional isn't particularly justified when an image editing program that several cheaper/free alternatives such as Paint Shop Pro exist.

But hey, if people want to toss away money like that then... uh, go for it?
And I assumed CamStudio was short for Camtasia Studio. I used both programs awhile back, so they just blend in, screen recorder, that's all that's important - it's just a preference of which program takes up a few MB less memory/no watermark.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
But hey, if people want to toss away money like that then... uh, go for it?

If you've already mentioned that, then indeed, middle-class people nowadays tend to toss away money all the time as it is, including for reasons much less important than a program that might be required for work or as such.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Much less ANY of those others you mentioned. Exceeding 100$ for a program you can find better free alternatives to is ridiculous!

No, you won't find better free software for most, if any, of the ones I listed (maybe could for Visual Studio and Windows 7, opinions on alternatives vary). They are all professional-quality software: Autodesk Maya, Softimage, and 3ds Max are what many---perhaps most---video game companies use as the de facto standard for 3d modeling, often supplemented by such technologies as MudBox or ZBrush as well as Adobe After Effects for video editing and Photoshop for creating such things as game textures.

The video game industry evolves quickly, and the tools to develop them must also evolve rapidly. The technology behind these tools is highly advanced and increasingly complex, and professional studios are willing to shell out thousands of dollars to acquire the technology to produce top-quality results. For example, advanced game engines are often licensed to developers at expensive prices, but these engines allow developers to build high-quality next-gen games much more quickly than if the engine needed to be written from scratch. I don't have prices on these, but here are some engines that you could expect to dish out quite a bit of money for:
  • Unreal Engine by Epic Games is used in many games, notably Gears of War 1&2 and Bioshock 1&2
  • euphoria by NaturalMotion is an amazing piece of technology used in several next-gen titles including Grand Theft Auto IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and NaturalMotion's own Backbreaker which I think looks amazing.
NaturalMotion's software such as euphoria and endorphin are famous for their breakthrough technology dubbed "Dynamic Motion Synthesis" which enables realistic, dynamic animations rather than handmade ones. For example, in Backbreaker, the way football players respond to tackles is realistically implemented---if three players hit another, you'll see each of the four players respond distinctly and appropriately to the impacts. There isn't a set of canned animations for nicked, off-balance, almost-tackled, and tackled---all of the responses happen at the time of impact. I'd recommend watching the videos on NaturalMotion's sites: they're really cool.
In response to Kaioken
I'm fairly certain if you belong to a videogame company (Activision comes to mind), they'd fund you for the program so you wouldn't have to pay for it.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:

People who are serious about their work. Not kids who make games as a hobby.

I can buy a framing hammer for $4.50. Why the heck would I want to buy the $270 framing hammer? Because when you use it every day, you start to realize - its just better. Lighter, more durable, easier to use. If you use it every day, trust me, its worth the money.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Ugh, you always tend to argue and rant on things you're not versed enough in. Heck, even the reason you started this thread is because you were wrong about a price of a program. >_>

He wasn't wrong about the price of the program. The advertised price for the program he's talking about on the website linked is $299.00 to buy, 30 day free trial. [link]
Its the same price for camtasia studios :)
For as much as I love GIMP, Photoshop is the best image editor on the market by miles. The price is completely justified if your lively hood depends on it. If you have played around with Photoshop on occasion, there is a good chance you haven't touch the depth of Photoshop(of course, the same could be said with GIMP, as it too has a lot of tools that can be used in interesting ways).

I work at an accounting firm. For 30 machines we pay, yearly, about $15,000 in software(quick guess, not exact). The fact of the mater is despite the large sum, our business is impossible, or at least very difficult, without that software. So we keep paying that $15k, year after year, even though most of the software hardly changes. But because tax changes, it is worth the 15k not for better programs, but simply update forms. If you think the difference between Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS4 is bad, you should see how little ProSeries 1998 varies from ProSeries 2008.
In response to Gokou-Kun
Not like it matters. Both programs are utterly useless and can't record audio+microphone.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Not like it matters. Both programs are utterly useless and can't record audio+microphone.

Have you tried running your microphone through your speakers? I believe that this is how I did it when I had FRAPS.

1) Start > Control Panel.
2) Click [Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices]
3) Click [Sounds and Audio Devices] (just this option if in classic view)
4) Click the [Volume Tab]
5) In the field 'Device Volume' click the button at the bottom [Advanced...] be sure it is the one in the Device Volume not Speaker Settings.
6) You should see a vertical slide bar labled mic/microphone/Pink In/etc.. If you do not see this option. Click Options>Properties. Be sure the Playback radio button is selected. Scroll in the box and check the box beside the Microphone (and any other input devices can be selected at this time).
7) Click [OK].
8) Find the vertical slide bar for the microphone (or other applicable input device) and slide the bar up. Also if there is a mute box below the slider be sure it is not checked.
Page: 1 2