ID:278216

This is a general thing - not specific to one subject.
A common example, Coke vs Pepsi:
Coke Fans: pepsi suckz it r 2 sweet
Pepsi Fans: COKE SUCKS IT HAS A TERRIBLE AFTER TASTE
Person: I personally think both are great soda's, and I think both.
Both Fans: SHUT UP U KNOW NOTHING

I see it happen with bands too. Beatles vs Rolling Stones is the oldest example I can think of, the second most famous one being Megadeth vs Metallica, unless I'm mistaken, those are the two most famous band v band examples.

It's rather humorous to go into a conversation regarding either band, saying you like both, then seeing the result. Anyone have any idea why people do this (aside from flame-bait)? Or maybe you can post similar situations you've been in.
It has nothing to do with not liking one of the options, obviously.
straddling the fence is always a "position" that's looked down upon. mainly, i presume, because that makes it impossible to make a decision where one is necessary ("should we outlaw guns, mr. president?" "well i see the valid sides of both argument..." "so should we?" "well... i don't know...")

of course, in an argument like band vs band, that's largely irrelevant, but the stigma carries over regardless
Because somebody who belongs to both groups makes it difficult to regard the other group as a homogeneous, despised "other". In order to paint the world as us vs. them, none of "us" can be part of "them", so you react MORE harshly to those that break that paradigm.
This is a very simple logic problem.
  • Consider that you're talking to someone who has the strong opinion that Pepsi is better than Coke. If you say that Coke is better than Pepsi, then you are disagreeing with his view that Pepsi is superior.
  • Consider that you're talking to someone who has the strong opinion that Coke is better than Pepsi. If you say that Pepsi is better than Coke, then you are disagreeing with his view that Coke is superior.
  • Consider that you're talking to someone who has the strong opinion that Pepsi is better than Coke. If you say that Coke and Pepsi are equal, then you are disagreeing with his view that Pepsi is superior.
  • Consider that you're talking to someone who has the strong opinion that Coke is better than Pepsi. If you say that Pepsi and Coke are equal, then you are disagreeing with his view that Coke is superior.

By coming between two parties that believe their brand-of-choice is superior and saying that both are equal, you are introducing a third opinion and, of course, simultaneously challenging theirs. Since you've challenged both of their opinions simultaneously, you are now subject to argument from both.

Consider that, in the United States, there were only 3 groups of people: those that wanted Barack Obama elected, those that wanted John McCain elected, and those that thought both should share some manner of dual-presidency. The Obama and McCain followers obviously have their disputes. But while those of the opinion that the dual-presidency would be best are looking at the merits of each, the other two parties are qualifying the negative aspects of the other candidate.
  • Perhaps the Obama followers disagree with McCain's conservative/militant views. These people, then, do not want McCain in office and therefore have reason to disagree with your view that he should be elected, even if it is alongside Obama.
  • Perhaps the McCain followers disagree with Obama's radical/"terrorist" views. These people, then, do not want Obama in office and therefore have reason to disagree with your view that he should be elected, even if it is alongside McCain.

By playing for both fields, you have the disadvantage that both of the other parties have disputes with the other respective party, and therefore both have disputes with you.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
unless I'm mistaken, those are the two most famous band v band examples.

More often than not you will see more genre vs genre arguments and less band vs band arguments.

As someone who likes all genres to at least a very minuscule degree I catch flak from all of my friends for one genre or another.
In response to AJX
I can't listen to rap or country. I may dislike death metal, but if I'm playing it as opposed to just listening to it - then it's pretty freaking cool.

I look at genres in two different ways:
Is it fun to play?
Do I enjoy listening to it?

A few genres only #2 applies to, but even then I still kinda enjoy it. Some only #1 applies, and only two (rap/country) don't apply to #1 or #2.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
I can't listen to rap or country. I may dislike death metal, but if I'm playing it as opposed to just listening to it - then it's pretty freaking cool.

I look at genres in two different ways:
Is it fun to play?
Do I enjoy listening to it?

A few genres only #2 applies to, but even then I still kinda enjoy it. Some only #1 applies, and only two (rap/country) don't apply to #1 or #2.

When The Thunder Rolls
and a Lonestar song What About Now.

The first is because I think the song is epic sounding, and the second because it was my girlfriend's and my song years ago.

Rap:
Lose Yourself - Enimeneminem
A few other random songs by Eminem.
Hollywood Undead is a bit of a hybrid band though they can still be partially categorized as 'rap'. Though I prefer their rock sounding songs to their rap sounding songs without question.
Some people consider What It's Like ~ Everlast to be of rap/hip hop origins. I'd disagree, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

So sure my likes in those two categories are pretty slim, it doesn't mean I dislike them as a whole. A few of my friends have also played some older rap that I could tolerate, though I can't name who it was.

It is also worth noting that I have 0 problem with listening to rap when at a club or party dancing. Mostly because there isn't anything else to dance to nowadays. And I haven't found any techno raves yet so I'm stuck ATM.
In response to AJX
Rap rock/metal/rapcore/nu metal is not rap. Don't you ever classify bands like Disturbed as the same genre as Jay-Z, Eminem, and all those other rejects who don't know how to write songs that aren't about genitals, killing, or abuse of women.

And I'll stick to this until the day I die: The best rap song ever? Run DMC's cover of Walk This Way by Aerosmith.
Obviously people have strong opinions on one or the other, and for some they feel that to like one requires you to dislike the other.

I like both Pepsi and Coke, but on a situational basis. Overall I prefer Pepsi, but Coke makes a better complement to many meals. Coke is absolutely horrible without ice. When dispensed from a soda fountain, Pepsi is more susceptible to variations in flavor based on the maintenance (or usually, lack thereof) of the machine. Pepsi was always better in glass bottles until those were discontinued.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
My town still sells coke and pepsi in bottles. They are about $0.97 a bottle. I hope this becomes a fad and I can start buying them in cases.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Rap rock/metal/rapcore/nu metal is not rap. Don't you ever classify bands like Disturbed as the same genre as Jay-Z, Eminem, and all those other rejects who don't know how to write songs that aren't about genitals, killing, or abuse of women.

First of all, rap-core is partially rap. Second of all, Disturbed and Hollywood Undead aren't event he same genre. That's like putting Rage Against The Machine in the same genre as Led Zeppelin, because they have a few of the same origins. Third, I think it's funny that, while insulting rappers, you named two of the only good ones. Fourth, while naming reasons you hate Eminem, you said, "don't know how to write songs that aren't about genitals, killing, or abuse of women" after he mentioned, 'Lose Yourself'.

And I'll stick to this until the day I die: The best rap song ever? Run DMC's cover of Walk This Way by Aerosmith.

That's a cool one. I prefer 'Stan' by Eminem. Pretty much shows what Eminem is about, if you listen hard enough. Other than that, I am not a big fan of rap, hip-hop is more to my liking.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Ever notice how most hip-hop bands are branded as rap and vice-versa?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Ever notice how most hip-hop bands are branded as rap and vice-versa?

Slight difference. Hip-hop actually pays attention to more than the lyrics and takes from multiple other influences other than just rapping. Wikipedia: "The term rap is often used synonymously with hip hop, however, the latter denotes the practices of an entire subculture."

Compare: Deltron 3030 to something like Jay-Z.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I like both Pepsi and Coke, but on a situational basis.

Pepsi for KFC and when my brother brings it home and leaves it ungraded. Coke for everything else.

Pepsi was always better in glass bottles until those were discontinued.

Same with Coke, only they never discontinued the glass bottles. *does a little dance*
In response to Tiberath
I can't drink Coke. Diet coke tastes okay at first, then has a terrible aftertaste, regular coke just tastes horrible all-around.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
Consider that, in the United States, there were only 3 groups of people: those that wanted Barack Obama elected, those that wanted John McCain elected, and those that thought both should share some manner of dual-presidency.

Then Loduwijk.group must equal null, because I didn't want either of them. I voted for Bob Barr for the last presidential election.
In response to Loduwijk
I would've voted Ralph Nader.
Doesn't X versus Y and generic complaining belong on a blog?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Pepsi was always better in glass bottles until those were discontinued.

You just brought back some foul memories for me. A few years ago, I went to Costa Rica. There, the restaurants use glass bottles and recycle them---that is, you order a Pepsi and get a glass bottle of Pepsi that you return to the restaurant afterward for its reuse.

Being outside the US, I imagine they don't use all the high-fructose corn syrup or whatever, but something about their Pepsi tasted not right, among several restaurants. I ended up sticking mostly with [glass-bottled] Fanta and [plastic-bottled] water.

However, I don't know why their Pepsi tasted so foul. Over the summer I caught wind (through my ex-girlfriend's family) of "Pepsi Throwback"---which they had come out with for the healthier alternative which was naturally sweetened instead of using high-fructose corn syrup. That tasted great but, unfortunately, I haven't seen it anywhere recently.

Maybe it was the "rice and bean diet"1 diet that threw the taste off. No idea.

<small>1 Almost all of my meals for the 11 or so days I was in Costa Rica consisted of plain, bland white rice with black beans on top. I do remember one buffet that had some meat selection, and I piled that meat on my plate...but the meat tasted so awful I ended up pushing the plate aside and going back just for rice and beans. There was also one case where we were running late on our tour, so we didn't have time for the rice-and-bean-buffet, and got sandwich baggies. After that half the group seemed to get mild food poisoning. Speaking of which, after I got home I found a Facebook group dedicated entirely to this rice and bean meal selection.</small>