ID:278218

Seriously. Windows Explorer error pops up EVERY TIME an AVI file is:
Highlighted
Only AVI files in a folder (and you enter the folder)

I'm going to run Avast now to see if anything's up as far as a virus is concerned. Could anything else be causing this?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Seriously. Windows Explorer error pops up EVERY TIME an AVI file is:
Highlighted
Only AVI files in a folder (and you enter the folder)

I'm going to run Avast now to see if anything's up as far as a virus is concerned. Could anything else be causing this?

I may have once had this same problem. What exactly does the error say?
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
It's the typical Windows Explorer error, the one with "Send Report" and "Don't Send".
Um, it's as if you've went out of your way to supply as little contextual information as possible. Look at BYOND's bug report template for an idea of the minimum of info you should include when you outline a problem.

Anyway, it sounds like it could be an issue with the thumbnail generation of AVI files. Have you installed/updated/changed video codecs or something codec-related recently?
To confirm if this is the problem, make sure you're not in Thumbnails viewing mode (e.g. select "Tiles" or "List") when viewing the folder, and see if the problem persists. If it's gone, then it's indeed a thumbnail generation problem; try running various codec fixing and registering tools and/or reinstalling your codecs. I had a different problem with thumbnail generation that was solved by re-registering the DirectShow DLLs; try that first.