ID:278220

*likes to actually run programs*
Emulating Windows just to run a few programs that run okay in it is terrible. Run the real thing <_<

Linux is free, and considering most pro-Linux people are pirates, I don't think pirating Windows is out of their league.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Linux is free, and considering most pro-Linux people are pirates, I don't think pirating Windows is out of their league.

That's a ridiculous statement. Moreover, I'd say most pirates are Windows users.
In response to Kuraudo
Pirates want -everything- free. Linux is free, unless you for some reason want to pay for it. The good versions are free, that's all I know. Wine is terrible, but it makes things -free-!
In response to Vic Rattlehead
This is like saying hippies want free love (as well as sex), so they are rapists because that makes all love free. The logic is inane and retarded and lacking.
You're not emulation it. Wine is a virtualization layer, meaning it translates Windows machine code to Linux machine code.

Also, if most pro-linux people were pirates, why wouldn't they just pirate windows?
In response to Jeff8500
Pro-Linux = You hate Windows with a burning passion.
How does disliking windows make you a pirate? Are you accusing Steve Jobs of being a pirate?
In response to Jeff8500
Do you think about what you say at all, or is making rash generalizations that are incredibly wrong just something that gives you a raging stiffie?
Hardly, I use both without much in the way of an issue. I just prefer Linux, because it suits my needs better. And no, I don't expect everyone to use it, nor do I go around recommending it to everyone. Quite a few people on these forums are more than aware of my dislike of Linux evangelism. No, I'm not alone in this opinion within the large group of Linux users out there. I pay for commercial software I use. My one notable exception has been Rational Modeller, which retails at $1000 for a single-user licence, and as it turns out didn't suit my needs anyway, so I guess you could say I don't use it. I don't really video game, but I do own all of the games installed on my PC, aside from the abandonware.
1. Not emulation. By the same logic .NET binary execution on Windows is emulation. Of what, lord only knows, which shows up that issue.

2. I run programs on Linux. If I couldn't run programs on Linux, I couldn't use the OS at all. There is a very nice set of programs on Linux that suit my needs very well. Why don't I run Windows? Because I develop a lot of my own stuff, for practice / fun etc. I like to take the code that makes up my OS and add to it, improve it, talk to people about it and so on. It's called a hobby, a bit like gaming. If I end up wanting to run a few programs designed for Windows as well, then sure why not, I have Wine available. What would be terrible is running an OS that doesn't suit my needs very well, doesn't let me fiddle with it on the code level and doesn't contribute much to my hobby, for the sake of a few programs. Nay, not merely terrible, unreasonable.

3. We're not all you, thankfully. My needs are different to yours. I appreciate that difference, even if you don't. This isn't too much of a surprise to me, but you seem to have a hard time telling a joke. I am not going to seriously recommend a full change of OS and way of working for someone as a solution to "you need a better anti-virus". DivineTraveller got that well enough, hence he ran with the joke a bit.

4. Yes, Linux is free. Freedom is the mandate of Linux, not "Yay I don't need to pay any money". The fact most Linux software also does not cost money is a decision by those respective developers. Companies building on Wine, and Fluendo (who provides ordiniarily difficult to licence media codecs for a fee) are two such examples of where freedom is upheld, but the software has a charge on it. RedHat Linux usually costs companies money, because they buy a support contract with it, the software still upholds the mandate of freedom.

5. Pirates? Indulge me, show me some figures for this, or am I just seeing baseless accusation here.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:

FACT: Linux users are less likely to be a pirate than Windows users.

As the man said, Linux is about freedom of development, not freedom in the sense that you don't have to pay for it.

The only thing I can't see is how you can maintain freedom with development and protect your assets at the same time.
In response to Android Data
Freedom of development? What? I speak for everyone when I say this, proof PLEASE.

Linux is so damn limited with what it can do on it's own. C++ it can run to a point, I think. Java? No. Flash? NO.

Where's the freedom, again?
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[insert a gogolplex o's here]l

C++ is a programming language, not a program itself. It can be compiled to run on Linux just like any other language that compiles to machine code.

Java can be installed on Linux.

Flash can be used on Linux.

You, sir, enjoy making things up. /topic, and /yourwrists.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Freedom of development? What? I speak for everyone when I say this, proof PLEASE.

Indeed, I think you speak for everyone when you imply that you think people shouldn't make unsourced, uncited claims that seems as though the people saying them are only saying them to defend a position they hashed out at a moment's notice. I mean, aren't those people daft?

<font size=1>Hint: Most of this wasn't talking about Android Data</font>
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
C++ it can run to a point, I think. Java? No. Flash? NO.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/

You are really an idiot aren't you?

In fact, adobe develops their software on linux first and then ports it to windows, as does MANY SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS.
In response to Stephen001
For awhile there I decided to try Linux. I went with Ubuntu Linux. And for awhile I enjoyed it (about 3 days).

It took me a little bit of time to figure out how everything worked and how you installed programs.

To be honest I dislike the routine you have to go through to install something on Linux. Some apps are as simple as clicking a single button, others require much more work.

I also disliked how the navigation was on my hard drive. It took quite a bit of stumbling around and clicking before I managed to find what I was looking for, which was already stored on my hard drive.

What I did love was the fact Ubuntu Linux seemed to boot up almost twice as fast as Windows. I also enjoyed the fact that this version of Linux not only got everything running, out of the box without needs for any driver disks, but once connected to the internet downloaded and updated all my drivers to the newest version. I also thought it was very cool I could access, download and install a huge library of Linux apps and games right from my desktop without having to browse for it online.

In the end though, Linux still felt like a pain using. There was a lot of effort you had to put fourth for certain things, things that I don't even have to think about when I am doing it on Windows. And 100% of my software library is all Windows based, but even with WINE, only a third of that software worked properly, or even at all.

I could totally see myself going over to Linux, but they'd have to make it a lot easier to use, especially for the casual computer crowd and they'd need to make Wine like 99.9% compatible with Windows software. I don't like the idea of owning a computer that is physically capable of running a game, only to find it is insufficient in the OS department.
In response to Ham Doctor
Before Stephen gets to you, I will. It's called Wine, not WINE :)
In response to Jeff8500
That's fine, thanks for the correction, but if Stephen needs to nit-pick over that, then he isn't worth the time.
I'm a Java developer. Go figure. I go on youtube and play flash games, go figure. Heck, I can even develop Windows programs in C/C++ on Linux, as well as Linux apps, UNIX apps, and (with the right libraries) Mac OS X apps. Linux has the most capable C/C++ compiler that exists to date, hands down. While there is a Windows port (thanks, we try to help you too), it's not nearly as capable in terms of target architectures. For your (much needed) information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection

I'm a software engineer by profession. I'd like to think that when I make a statement about software in a development context like "the mandate of Linux is freedom", I at least have the first clue about what I'm on about. But I've only been doing software engineering for 6 years and used Linux for 5, what would I know.

This seems to happen a lot with you, and the problem that leaves me with is working out if a. you really just talk about things you don't have the first idea on or b. you're trolling.
Page: 1 2