ID:278252

I find that it is quite impossible in this day and age to find good pixel artists, backup coders, mappers, story artists, or any other kind of staff for most games these days. This is due to the fact many games are sourceripped, and many game just dont have a chance. The reason why is the forum. All of the posts are pushed down within a few hours, costing them endless oppurtunity for a chance at getting a staff. Id think it would be better if it were a scrolling entry or like the journals on DeviantArt, so everyone knows what the first line says (what it is about) and has more of a chance to have an interest in it. Im sure anyone could think of a better way, but still. I believe it should be revised with at least some of the content inside the advert so that everyone would atleast know a bit of what its about. Thats just my opinion.

Mail Avourlace
SKWID Development
Games have their source code stolen because the people making the games don't know what their doing. The only people that realistically NEED to have access to the source code are the owner of the game and/or the main programmer. Ideally these are the same person. Any other programmers worth their salt should be able to program game systems in library format which can then be added to the game without them ever having to see the game's source code.

Mappers don't need source code. Send them a DM environment with all the tile definitions, variables and icons needed for mapping and they should be able to piece together everything they need for an awesome map. Better yet, the one of the programmers could make a map editor program for them to use.

Artists, writers, etc... These people never need to see the source code.
I understand your concerns, but you should have a game idea in place, and if you are offering money, it is a lot easier. Even though I was offering money, it took me FOREVER to get a pixel artists. It is a commitment that a person has to see through, so it may not be the right time in the persons life to do any work.

As Foomer said, that is how the game SHOULD be accessed. Only the Owner/Main programmer should have access to the source.

Maybe your idea is lacking, or maybe you just don't have the trust/respect from people to warrant them wanting to work with you? Maybe you aren't offering anything other than "GM"
I blame the people constantly asking for, "good pixel artists, backup coders, mappers, story artists, or any other kind of staff." Their posts clog up the Classified Ads and since those games never last longer than a week they're hard to take seriously. Serious developers with serious projects end up missing each other because of all the noise.
In response to Foomer
I know this, but many people dont. These are the people who have no clue how to develop. They should get back to playing games or learning. Most of the good and legitimate posts never see the light of day because of all of the ripped games or useless posts just taking up space, and the ones that are there and legit have to put OH NOT A RIP after the name of their post. Its ridiculous.
In response to Mister Avourlace
No, the people don't need to put "NOT A RIP" in the post. If it isn't a rip, people will know. Plain and simple, infact it's more questionable if you did have to do that...

The main problem is most people either only want to make anime games (which there's never variety, only DBZ/Bleach/Naruto, and they play quite similarly, even the non-rip ones), or only want to develop for one.
In response to Sariat
I agree, although Im offering game staff position, and a percentage of the subscription bonuses, and all of that.
It may interest you a fangame can't have subscription bonuses (I apologize if you aren't working on a fangame, but I figured I would throw that in).

No one wants administrative powers as compensation - it's another job to do to moderate a game, and a thankless and non-paying one at that.

Most people (if the game is offering payment to the staff members) want the payment upfront, not having to wait for bonuses that may or may not happen.
In response to SuperAntx
Well, Im asking for pixel artists, story artists, backup coders, and all of that rot. I need them for a game that I actually do care about working on, but because of the stupid rip masters out there, my post is most likely to be pushed to the bottom and not even able to be read.
In response to Moonlight Memento
I agree. Because of all of the rips out there and all of the anime games that are exactly the same, its impossible for any new games to happen. It either clogs up the titles for your post because your forced to put 'not a rip' or just adds more anime games to the mix which dont need to even exist.
Well, what would you suggest to shine more light on the serious developers? I'm open to suggestions.
Mister Avourlace wrote:
Well, Im asking for pixel artists, story artists, backup coders, and all of that rot. I need them for a game that I actually do care about working on, but because of the stupid rip masters out there, my post is most likely to be pushed to the bottom and not even able to be read.

Now you're going on the assumption that your intentions are better than everyone else's. What makes you think a bunch of kids working on a game don't care about the game they're working on? Why would anyone spend time working on anything if they didn't care about it? Just because you don't like what they're doing doesn't mean what you're doing is better. Who are you to say that your project is more worthwhile than theirs is?

I'm in favor of giving everyone an equal chance to have their ads seen. But I see a lot of people constantly bumping their posts up so they'll have to top place, because they obviously think that their project is more important than everyone else's. Its not.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Well, what would you suggest to shine more light on the serious developers? I'm open to suggestions.

Foomey,

Maybe there could be a game idea of the month? Or even stricter guidlelines for posting for help. You would need a title, a game design doc, possible graphics (Even a UI interface) if the game didn't exist just yet.

If the game was an existing game, you would still need to see a design doc of some sorts. It would let people know more information and separate the quantity from the quality.
In response to Moonlight Memento
Its not a fangame. I CAN charge subscription. Also, I know no-one wants GM or any of that rot, but I just figured Id include it. Also; thats what I can offer. A percentage of the subscribtion cost. Other than that Im shooting blanks here, so what do you expect me to do?
In response to Foomer
Thats not what I mean. Im talking about a lazy person who is planning to give up on their game after a few weeks. I can seriously say that Im going to be working hard on this untill I find staff, but that cant be said of a lot of people out there.
In response to Foomer
Id settle for a scrolling description of the post next to it. That would at least give me a basic idea of what they wanted or what sort of game they wanted.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
what would you suggest to shine more light on the serious developers?

Depending on how flexible the bug tracker was designed, something similar might be nice for Classified Ads.

When creating a new ad, you are presented with a template which is similar to the one you currently have in CA, but has some 'drop-down/list' options on some fields like the bug tracker.
For example, 'Skills Needed' would be a multi select list, allowing to select 'Programmer', 'Graphical Artist',... 'Compensation' could contain 'Front up Payment', 'Subscription Share',...
Then people could sort for what they are seeking, e.g. display projects seeking a Programmer, who is paid right away.
There would be 'text'-fields allowing for a link to a functional specification, a design document, to mock-ups, screenshoots, a forum,... which, if set, trigger a little symbol next to the advertisement. This way you can easily determine that a developer has put enough effort into structuring the project that it's likely being pulled through and that you can work of easy.

That way, you see what you are interested in without the noise.
Actually compensate your staff?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
If they were to do that I would definately want some sort of "Other" button that you could type in. Not big, only 15-20 characters or so... Maybe for some odd jobs or something.
The 'Bug report' template contains 'other' choices wherever it makes sense, so I didn't explicitly include them in the description ;)
Page: 1 2 3