ID:278292

Some time ago, I purchased a Turtle Beach gaming headset, and while its wirelessness is quite convenient, it has eaten standard alkaline batteries like mad since the day I got it. Today I decided to invest in some rechargeable batteries, but about 13 hours afterward I started getting curious as to the specifics of the science of batteries.

When I was in the Wal Mart, I was sold on Energizer E2 NiMH batteries because it boasted 850 mAh. "Hey, that's a lot of milliamps" I said to myself, grabbing a four-pack of 'em for $11 and a charger unit. It never really occurred to me to research what exactly that meant -- sure, more power is always good, but upon some research into the subject, I can't find a plain answer as to how the mAh rating translates into device power time. The best answer I could find is about the "depth of a cycle", and while I generally get the idea of what it's driving at, I have no idea what determines cycle depth. Does the device determine that by it's ampere requirement? Can this information be used to directly calculate the amount of power time a fully-charged 850 mAh E2 can give my headset?

Further research into the subject has yielded more facts but little plain English. Apparently NiMH batteries can effectively be used in either "shallow" or "deep" cycles but have a quite a small discharge rate. Can this adversely affect the battery or the performance of my headset?

On the subject of performance, I've read several things about different kinds of chargers. Apparently a "trickle" charger will continue to supply charging current nonstop while a "float" charger will suspend the charging operation temporarily if the cell reaches capacity. From what I understand, a trickle charger can and does damage batteries and cause failure if left attached to the charger after their capacity is met, but a float charger supposedly speeds up the adverse "memory effect" of the cell. Is it overly important that I discover the charger type that I'm attaching my NiMH batteries to, or are they generally more immune to these problematic effects? This one is important because I'm the kind of person who attaches things to the charger and they can sit there for very very long periods of time -- I have a portable phone in my room that's not seen use for years, but has remained on the charger unit for the last three years nonstop. My XBox rechargeable battery packs remain attached to the quick charger for some time (I alternate between my two controller battery packs, so one sits there for upwards of a day before seeing use again). In addition, I've had dry spells of XBox playing where I'll leave these things connected for 1-2 weeks continuously, and it's likely I'll do the same with these rechargeable AAA batteries.

Anyways, any help on the subject is appreciated. I've learned a lot of new terms and facts about batteries, but the brass tacks of how useful the batteries are in my situation and how concerned I should be about catastrophic failure or unnecessary cell decay is presently what eludes me.
An Alkaline AAA battery has a typical capacity of 1200mAh. The website for your headphones boasts a 25-hour life on two AAAs, so based on that the lifespan will be about 17.7 hours. It will be slightly lower as a rechargeable shouldn't be drained until it's empty, and to account for various marketing bull. All the stuff you read in that .pdf is mainly about recharging the batteries, not usage.

For the recharger, I wouldn't worry about leaving it in blah blah blah. I'd worry that you have the same recharger that I had from Energizer which was utterly and thoroughly useless, but I don't know which one you got so I'm not sure.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
An Alkaline AAA battery has a typical capacity of 1200mAh. The website for your headphones boasts a 25-hour life on two AAAs, so based on that the lifespan will be about 17.7 hours. It will be slightly lower as a rechargeable shouldn't be drained until it's empty, and to account for various marketing bull. All the stuff you read in that .pdf is mainly about recharging the batteries, not usage.

For the recharger, I wouldn't worry about leaving it in blah blah blah. I'd worry that you have the same recharger that I had from Energizer which was utterly and thoroughly useless, but I don't know which one you got so I'm not sure.

The best performance I've gotten from a pair of AAAs in my headset is 15 continuous hours on standard Energizer batteries. I was aware when I bought the rechargeables that their output life per charge would be two-thirds to one-half of a standard alkaline, which was why I purchased four of them and charged them all up at once.

As for the charger, I got a Rayovac PS13 according to the model number on the unit, though it doesn't quite look like that. On the subject of this charger, since when did companies manufacturing battery rechargers start doing this instead of providing a cord? Am I the only person that doesn't live in a house with outlets above ankle level? I'm considering taking my chances splicing an eighty-eight cent extension cord I bought for it directly to the board.