ID:282896

Is BYOND implementing facebook's API?

Chrome - view-source:http://www.byond.com/members/FlashSpeed

<script type="text/javascript" src="/rsc/fb.js.pagespeed.jm.P8Ltn2n08n.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.ak.connect.facebook.com/js/api_lib/v0.4/FeatureLoader.js.php"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">FB.init("60bf6f95eb54b702a0a00ab67af19623","/rsc/xd_receiver.htm",{'permsToRequestOnConnect':'publish_stream','ifUserConnected':logged_in_fb,'ifUserNotConnected':logged_out_fb});</script>
One should hope so.

We had a discussion way back when on Google Group about it. I can't remember who initially brought up the discussion, but if it wasn't me, I certainly agreed with the decision wholeheartedly.

Discussion on the use of Facebook and Twitter was held, and eventually lead to the Facebook button on the former blog pages. I did the dastardly deed of creating the Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Facebook page is nyah.

The twitter page went so far as for me to link it with Facebook. That's about it. I don't think any of the developers, nor the volunteers or even me actually care enough about Twitter to bother using it. I could be wrong, but nothing really advanced with it. It is nyah. (Honestly, I never cared for Twitter ever. I just don't see the point...)
I am with you Twitter is pointless.

What do you we get from facebook integration? It would be nice to be able to link a hub to twitter/facebook and update the posts on either of the said two automatically obviously when the developer makes a post no anyone else..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I am with you Twitter is pointless.

Oh Windu yes. Completely unnecessary.

What do you we get from facebook integration?

I'm afraid my knowledge of the subject only goes so far. I'm not privy to those types of discussions any more. Those are kept in-house with the developers. So this is my redirection of your question to them.

It would be nice to be able to link a hub to twitter/facebook and update the posts on either of the said two automatically obviously when the developer makes a post no anyone else..

I actually quite like the idea of being able to integrate your own game facebook page into your hub. That could add a bit more value to them to boot.

However, that might give some developers an excuse to be lazy and not develop their own website to take advantage of these features. The problem is, we want developers to move off-site. We want them to make websites for their games instead of relying on the hub. If game developers finally started making websites for their games, they'd attract a far wider audience than the BYOND website can.

Each one of those websites will link back here so the users can grab the software. Or they'll learn about it somehow. It is possible, but incredibly tricky to hide the fact BYOND is running when you're playing a game.

So it's up in the air really. Either effect is probably. I still like the idea though.
Well if they want to make it so people use their own websites for the game & to shy away from BYOND's then we need something to let us use BYOND key authentication & basic forums such as feature suggestion/bug report/general forums on our own websites(for dummys who don't know anything about authentication & making their own website/forums)...

Like me...I know basic HTML but I don't know about post & authentication methods...most of my knowledge about any such thing is left behind any website creators automated functions which does only password authentication(not for individual user identification/authentication) & automated forum creation...
DMCGI works for auth... But it's old and no many people know how to install it.. Plus it's Linux only we have posted a feature request got auth via JSON or other methods who knows if it will be done.
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
Well if they want to make it so people use their own websites for the game & to shy away from BYOND's then we need something to let us use BYOND key authentication & basic forums such as feature suggestion/bug report/general forums on our own websites(for dummys who don't know anything about authentication & making their own website/forums)...

You're mistaken though Superbike. They don't need to provide tools for "the dummies" as you stated.

They provide the tools to make the games. That's all they should need to provide. Everything else (the hub and the features that go with it) were just glitter. Now they're charging for that glitter.

It's the programmers job to learn how to do what needs to be done. Come to think of it, I don't know a DM programmer I consider to be decent who doesn't know HTML, CSS and Javascript. Mostly because they use off all them in their BYOND projects at some stage or another.

As for key authentication. Well, I can do it. Took me ten minutes to find an example and implement it. Another ten to do it better than what the example showed. Sure, it might require a hacky DMCGI workaround. But it still works.

As a small hint: Don't look for BYOND authentication. Link the BYOND account with an account on your website. That way they can login to your website, and assume their BYOND identity (or more than one) pretty easily.

Like me...I know basic HTML but I don't know about post & authentication methods...most of my knowledge about any such thing is left behind any website creators automated functions which does only password authentication(not for individual user identification/authentication) & automated forum creation...

That's not BYOND's problem, that's your problem. And as such, it's not their job to make and release things which allow you to do this easy. That's not their business model. They're not a "Build Your Own Extremely Easy and Convenient Website", besides, BYOEECW doesn't have as nicer ring to it.

It's your job to learn all those skills. And you will need them if you're going to make a game. It's that simple. Without a web-presence, there's a strong chance your game will fail. You might be able to get away with just using a Facebook page, but I doubt it.

What I used to learn HTML (outdated).
A decent CSS reference sheet (As well as tutorials for... well... everything you'll need to make a website is here.)
Where I learned PHP (PHP home page).

I'd link you to where I learned Javascript... But I didn't really. I just read the reference on W3 (#2 linked above) and the sources on a lot of websites and suddenly I could make it work. After practice I learned enough to get by without actually ever reading a tutorial on it. That's how easy it is.

As a hint, unless you want fancy, user authentication is put into a <form> on a website. Which'll send the user to a PHP file when submitted. (Pushing [Enter] on the form while the textbox is active, and it'll submit it. Otherwise add <input type="submit"> to the form.)

<form action="http://www.bleh.blah/myform.php" method="post"><input type="text" name="username"></form>

With myform.php being able to process it.

<?= $_POST['username'] ?>

No go forth and learn website designing. It can be just as fun a DM (sometimes even more so).