And proof that Twinikies planned the JFK assassination!

It really helps if you can back up a statement about a widely available text with, you know, citations or references or something. But no points to the guy in the picture citing Romans 9:13 which reads," As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." Yep, definitive proof that God hates fags. What?

Oh, and World, there are whole other chapters dealing with slavery. Slavery is fine in the OT, as long as it's not God's Chosen People being enslaved. Genocide, too.

Well I always thought that you found the idea that god hated fags from the story of sodom and gommorah. I mean it doesn't go directly saying they're gay, but it kind of insinuates it.

I mean, just in genesis itself you can see how many holes the bible creates. I mean, the flood? If god was all powerful and whatnot, why did he fuck up so badly that he needed to erase most of humanity and start over?

Oh, and also, does god define slavery as wrong? I mean yeah it's wrong by yours amd my standards, but since according to christianity, god makes the rules on what is right or what is wrong, then it isn't really a contradiction of the bible
Texter wrote:
Learn it before you preach it.

Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them
sincerely as you would serve Christ.

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of
all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

1 Timothy 6:2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they
are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of
the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

Other version:

1 Timothy 6:1-2 Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that
the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is
no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping
another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to
obey them.

Peter 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle,
but also to the froward.

Titus 2:9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in
all things; not answering again;

Luke 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall
begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

Luke 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the
unbelievers.

Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did
according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

Matthew 10:24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.

Servant in these passages means slaves, not like an employee.

Learn it before you preach it.

Worldweaver wrote:
I think I recall a large portion of the bible dealing with this... hmm oh yeah, the Exodus?

Contrary to popular opinion, Moses and his followers weren't slaves. If they were then the pharaoh wouldn't have let them walk off with their weapons in hand. This was on the History Channel as well, they were going over the science of Moses' miracles. And if you read Exodus, you'll notice that they are never referred to as slaves. While, yes they were treated bad, the wound up pharaoh letting them leave. It was only later that he changed his mind.

I watch it too much, and as I said I do not wish to get into a religious debate that will lead nowhere.
You're leaving out why those people are slaves. They are slaves because they are in debt. Your taking it way out of context.

You're also misrepresenting servents. They were far well treated. Most servants had thier own house, property, and live stock. Go look that up.
Contrary to popular opinion, Moses and his followers weren't slaves. If they were then the pharaoh wouldn't have let them walk off with their weapons in hand. This was on the History Channel as well, they were going over the science of Moses' miracles. And if you read Exodus, you'll notice that they are never referred to as slaves. While, yes they were treated bad, the wound up pharaoh letting them leave. It was only later that he changed his mind.

It does refer to the people of Moses being captive. Why else would Moses say, ''Let my people go?'' Do you think an entire nation was just sitting in cells eatting bread? That is idiotic. They were slaves.
Yes, Texter, that's lovely. And then they go invent Hell in the New Testament,

"Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt" Dan 12:2

"Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in thier dwellings, and among them." Psalm 55:15

and there's no way that a being that condemns people to eternal torture could be considered 'good'.

Evil people get sent for eternal punish. Its not my place to judge who is evil, but evil deserves punishment.

Oh, and World, there are whole other chapters dealing with slavery. Slavery is fine in the OT, as long as it's not God's Chosen People being enslaved. Genocide, too.

Perhaps if other nations prayed to God like his people did, he would have reached to them. Genocide? If a nation is evil in the eyes of God, why shouldn't it be destroyed if was just going to do evil. Thier choice thier grave.
Evil people get sent for eternal punish. Its not my place to judge who is evil, but evil deserves punishment.

And this is why I dislike religion. That's a lovely opinion you've got there. Nobody deserves hell. Please understand this. Hitler did a helluva lot of bad stuff, but eternity is eternity. An eternity of torture is far worse then anything any person has done or could do.

Perhaps if other nations prayed to God like his people did, he would have reached to them. Genocide? If a nation is evil in the eyes of God, why shouldn't it be destroyed if was just going to do evil. Thier choice thier grave.

Another lovely opinion. Don't worship god? Genocide for you!

I assume you murder atheists for their evilness, Texter.

I'll respond to the hell-quote stuff when I have both the time and the resources to look up the verses in question. Right now, I'm at uni and should be going to a lecture.
As I said, I do not want to get into a religious debate, but if you keep forcing me to...

In the new King James Version 'slaves' was changed to 'servants'. It was the same thing.

Moses' people weren't slaves, they were a nomadic tribe that had fallen into service of the pharaoh. The pharaoh was paying them. However, after a while they got sick of it and the pharaoh refused to let them go before they finished the job.

And here, just to piss you off:

When a non-Jewish woman begged Jesus to heal her daughter, who was "vexed with a devil" (mental illness?), Jesus refused to speak to her (Matthew 15:22-23). When she continued to beg, the disciples wanted to send her away; Jesus repeated that he had only come to the Jews (Matthew 15:24). She still wouldn't stop begging so Jesus called her a dog "It is not meet (good) to take the children's bread and cast it to the dogs" (Matthew 15:26). He only healed her daughter after she said non-Jews were like dogs who could eat crumbs that fall from the master's table (Matthew 15:27).

Yep, everyone was treated well!
And this is why I dislike religion. That's a lovely opinion you've got there. Nobody deserves hell. Please understand this. Hitler did a helluva lot of bad stuff, but eternity is eternity. An eternity of torture is far worse then anything any person has done or could do

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Even on Hitler. :\

Another lovely opinion. Don't worship god? Genocide for you!

Thats a out of context descritpion and it seems you're good at doing that. I didn't say a country should go through Genocided because they didn't worship God. If a Nation has been destroyed by God, it is because they did evil in the eyes of God.

I assume you murder atheists for their evilness, Texter.

Its not my place to judge evil from good. You shouldn't even assume that. A Christian has no buisness judging people and telling them they're evil.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged" "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with the measure ye mete, it shall be measued to you again."
Matt 7:1-2

I'll respond to the hell-quote stuff when I have both the time and the resources to look up the verses in question. Right now, I'm at uni and should be going to a lecture.

Here are afew more.

"For great is thy mercy torward me: and thou has delivered my soul from the lowest hell." Psalms 86:13

"But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol;
For He will receive me. Selah." Psalm 49:15

FYI Sheol tranlates to hell.
Texter wrote:

In Hebrew, Sheol is the "abode of the dead", the "underworld", "the common grave of mankind" or "pit". In the Hebrew Bible, it is a comfortless place beneath the earth, beyond gates, where both the bad and the good, slave and king, pious and wicked must go after death to sleep in silence and oblivion in the dust. Sheol is the common destination of both the righteous and the unrighteous dead, as recounted in Ecclesiastes and Job.

Protestants, who do not share a concept of "hades" with the Eastern Orthodox, have traditionally translated "sheol" (and "hades") as "hell." Unlike hell, however, sheol is not associated with Satan. Catholics generally translate "sheol" simply as "death."
BlackBirdOmega wrote:

In the new King James Version 'slaves' was changed to 'servants'. It was the same thing.
Servants does not fit the term at all. Elisha was a servant of Elijah, even in the OKJV, but that doesn't mean he was a slave. He was a follower and eventually replaced him as a prophet of God.

And here, just to piss you off:

When a non-Jewish woman begged Jesus to heal her daughter, who was "vexed with a devil" (mental illness?), Jesus refused to speak to her (Matthew 15:22-23). When she continued to beg, the disciples wanted to send her away; Jesus repeated that he had only come to the Jews (Matthew 15:24). She still wouldn't stop begging so Jesus called her a dog "It is not meet (good) to take the children's bread and cast it to the dogs" (Matthew 15:26). He only healed her daughter after she said non-Jews were like dogs who could eat crumbs that fall from the master's table (Matthew 15:27).
24: But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel"

Jesus was acknowleding that he was the God of the Israelites. Hrm.. so why would a Cannan come to a another people's God? Well lets see!

26: But he answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the little dogs."

It was very unusual for her, being a Cannan to come to Jesus, the savior for the house of Israel. Atleast in those days. Jesus pointed this out in the form of a parable. It is sort of like: "I'm the God of Israel, yet you come to me."

27: She said, "Yes, Lord,yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters' table."

Again in parable form she says, "I know you're the God of the Israelites, but you're also the only God." Since the Israelites were the first nation to recognize this God as God, its only right for her to feel lower than the Israelites to God.

28: Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire" And he daughter was healed that very hour.

And the woman is recognized for her faith. She broke the barrier between God being the God of Israel and the God of all.

What sounds so horrible to you is acutally a blessing because it shows that God is there for all the people.
BlackBirdOmega wrote:
Texter wrote:

In Hebrew, Sheol is the "abode of the dead", the "underworld", "the common grave of mankind" or "pit". In the Hebrew Bible, it is a comfortless place beneath the earth, beyond gates, where both the bad and the good, slave and king, pious and wicked must go after death to sleep in silence and oblivion in the dust. Sheol is the common destination of both the righteous and the unrighteous dead, as recounted in Ecclesiastes and Job.

Protestants, who do not share a concept of "hades" with the Eastern Orthodox, have traditionally translated "sheol" (and "hades") as "hell." Unlike hell, however, sheol is not associated with Satan. Catholics generally translate "sheol" simply as "death."

It is also translated to "the grave" or the "pit" which are common translations in the old testament. Hell is described as death alot. It is the second death. It is appropiate for Sheol to be the translation for hell specificaly for that reason.
Ok, so anyone who doesn't follow judaism is a dog only worthy of getting scraps? Well, at least you're willing to admit your dogness. The idea is that he was treating her as less than human because of her race and religion.

Anyway, back to slavery:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
BlackBirdOmega wrote:
Ok, so anyone who doesn't follow judaism is a dog only worthy of getting scraps? Well, at least you're willing to admit your dogness. The idea is that he was treating her as less than human because of her race and religion.

You've ignored its true meaning completly, but I suppose thats not my problem.
Anyway, back to slavery:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

I havn't said the Bible condems slavery. And you should really understand that slavery in those days are not like the more recent slavery. Then it was a social status and it wasn't determined by the color of your skin either. People even sold themselves to provide for thier family or debt. People with high status were often slaves of someone else.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-slavery.html

Texter wrote:
I havn't said the Bible condems slavery. And you should really understand that slavery in those days are not like the more recent slavery. Then it was a social status and it wasn't determined by the color of your skin either. People even sold themselves to provide for thier family or debt. People with high status were often slaves of someone else.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-slavery.html
And I'm saying that the bible condones and regulates slavery.

I'm moving this debate to my own blog so we don't ruin Strawgate's any further.

http://members.byond.com/BlackBirdOmega
Jeffrey S wrote:
SpikeNeedle wrote:
Sorry, you will find that 99.99% of asians are not gay, or they can't say that they're gay, we're not allowed to be gay, our parents will kick our ass if we ever tell them we're gay.

a quick google search of gay asian sex will prove you wrong.

Are you kidding me?
The amount of gay asians you find there is exactly 0.01% of the populaton of asians.
Jp wrote:
This post gets the Jp thumbs-up.

Gets the Tibby thumbs-up as well.

--

But if I wanted to be an ass hole, I can say something like: Racist people believe that other cultures are inferior, and your post says not to torment people for what they believe.

But I do agreenthat racist is horrible and shouldn't be done!
Page: 1 2