Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
ID:287905

Interested if you had a list of things that I could look at. I'm not incredibly innovative with something that's not 'mine', but if you had a task list I could probably pull some things off.
Been considering a few ideas, but none are particularly good. Mainly, I keep coming up with new class ideas but never any new monster ideas.

As well, each time I play I can't think of anything that really should be significantly improved. Does anyone have any ideas they would like to see done in Casual Quest? Or, Iain, again do you have a tasklist?
In response to CauTi0N
Well, to be honest, I don't think there is much you can do about CQ without outright changing the game itself. For example, it would be really cool to see CQ have a main world (like an MMO Zelda), but I don't think that will ever see the light of day at all.

So... what else can you do? Not much. New monsters or new bosses. Difficulty needs to be something else than just losing more health in higher waves - we might need better enemy AI or enemies similar to the ninjas or gnomes on a more common basis (capable of moving and shooting). You can make enemies that are more difficult to kill (another enemy that isn't harmed by arrows, an enemy that is immune to all magical damage, a ghost type enemy that only appears at intervals and can harm when invisible, common enemies getting 'reinforcements', common enemies that can heal, common enemies that have armored plating and can only be attacked at the front...). Mind you, I'm just throwing whatever is in my brains, ignoring whether it is even possible or not.

As for bosses, if there are any Zelda boss AI that is well known, we might be able to leech from that (although I really don't have many ideas as to what...). Otherwise, I know not what we can do for bosses beyond making them faster (since most of them already have some special property about them already).

I don't think there is much point in making new player classes unless you personally want to get some income by creating custom classes - the full set of classes are more than enough at the moment. None of the classes are too overpowered (in my opinion only), but my sense of balance is off centered at the moment. Maybe the persistent flame from Sorcs/Rouges/Sages are too powerful (?) and enemies ought to get a second of invincibility after being hit (?). Bombs (imo) do not cause enough damage for being difficult to set up... problem is that many of these things are too opinionated.
In response to Sudzzuds
I agree with sudz that adding updates could easily change the game entirely. Maybe after going through the ninja land,you could experience other different types of genre waves,or maybe a series of bosses? Although it would be impossible to keep this up for the entire game after the default waves. It would be nice to see a few other "worlds" i don't know if this was what sudz was talking about but this is what i was generally thinking. I would also like to see a boss that has that sort of casual quest player style and appearance to it. it might add a sense of PVP and make it more difficult boss because it's generally smaller,also it should become more difficult as HP goes down.

I'll just list 3 genres so you can get some side-info on what i'm talking about(This is no my suggestion i'm just putting stuff that comes to mind)
-Haunted Mansion(Ghosts/ghouls,boss could be a big ghost,kind of like king boo and boos from mario)
-Sci-fi(Probably aliens,boss could be a space ship that drops aliens in occasionally and maybe attacks)
-Military(Army people with guns/explosives since the only enemy with explosives in CQ is the turtle,boss could probably be a tank with a high HP count.)

Although those genres would most likely ruin the feel of the CQ world,i'm just trying to help out @_@ i thought of those a couple minutes.

Maybe 1 or 2 more power-ups other than shield,but the extra power ups will be deleted before ninja land waves. I'm just thinking this because a lot of new players die occasionally,and i'm pretty bad myself @_@. Maybe they could boost attack? Not sure.

Anyways,my ideas are probably too bad to be considered,though i'm just trying to help.
In response to Sudzzuds
This is where I was failing to think of new ideas - the game has evolved to where changing something would be re-doing the game entirely I feel.

I also agree I should probably replay A Link to the Past to draw inspiration. This weekend I have a mission.
In response to CauTi0N
Here's some ideas to churn the idea making machine.

Bosses:

1. A big furry/spikey boss that marches around, and then rolls up into a ball and kind of slams into corners.

With timing kind of like the giant scorpion, he would stop, change colour, and then roll. (Maybe a big ass angry porcupine for example.)

2. A big monster that throws his tongue out at players. If they don't dodge they get chewed up and spit out.

Then there could possibly be a secret area if all players get eaten at the same time where you fight inside the monster's belly.

3. A medusa type boss that shoots petrifying beams, and then closes in to rake with her claws.

4. A giant vulture that flies around the map, occasionally swooping down and carrying players off to drop them into random spots.

Maps:

1. Swamps - Fog that hides enemies, bog marsh that slows movement. Large vines for walls/barriers. Swamp men/Mud men, Lizardmen, new kinds of slimes, zombies.

2. Bandit camp - Booby traps, makeshift tents and large stake fences. Bandits, Kobolds, Thieves, enemy barbarians.

3. Ocean/Pirate Ship - Ships docked together via bridges and chains that the player navigates. Cannons that can randomly fire, and (ode to ninja turtles) maybe planks that come up and hit you in the face. Large crates, anchors, and nets full of fish for walls/barriers. Deck swabbers, pirates, parrots, mermen with tridents, killer squids.

4. Jungle - Carniverous plants, vines, huts, thick trees. Savages, Tigers, poisonous snakes, charging rhinos, safari hunters, monkeys that throw rocks! (as revenge!).
At one point I redid the movement system to use bit-flags. There are bit flags for the floor, walls, and water. I was thinking about adding a "side scrolling" boss that would make use of a sky bit-flag. Think of it this way:

The bottom of the map is all "walls", then there's a small strip, one tile high, of "land" tiles, then the rest of the map above that is "sky" tiles. Player projectiles would be able to move across the "sky", but the players themselves wouldn't be able to. The boss would only be able to move in the sky. Maybe it would swoop from one side of the map and disappear off screen when it reached the other side. I was thinking that this would be a dragon boss, and it would come at wave 139, with 130 always being the castle. In order to allow the players to move around better, there could be ladders and higher platforms. These would just be regular land tiles that looked like ladders. The whole thing could be made to look like the top of a tower, with ramparts and all.
In response to IainPeregrine
Not sure if it was mentioned/tried before, but what about the Hydra boss from Regressia? Maybe once you damage him enough to remove the first head, another two spawn in its place. After that he moves and attacks more often or something. I haven't had much time to read all the suggestions here, so my bad if it was already suggested.

I'd love to see a boss like that though, Iain. It sounds like it would be a hell of a lot of fun to tackle a boss on that kind of map.
In response to Seferiel
I was playing Bubble Bobble again for old times sake, and I was thinking (maybe for a hard mode or something) that we could have an invincible enemy that chases after players when they take too long on a wave. Just to make things even harder (though I think people are gonna hate me for that...)

I still wish we can get some kind of ideas as to how to pull people into the game without people rage-quitting. I always see so many people who think that wave 60+ is the same as wave 1, and that rushing is a good strategy. I mean, yes, it is important to try and keep the older players, but we do need new blood in this game in order to even start growing.
In response to Seferiel
Seferiel wrote:
I'd love to see a boss like that though, Iain. It sounds like it would be a hell of a lot of fun to tackle a boss on that kind of map.

Pretty easy to make, too.
Haha, you're quite right there.

Should we expect that kind of boss for the next update?
IainPeregrine wrote:
Pretty easy to make, too.

Well - you guys already have the water tile, which pretty much fits the bill here almost. My question here though is whether you want the player to be able to go onto the 'sky' tiles though - say, like when the player steps off the platform or off a ladder - then have the player be forced to fall down onto the land. If that truly is the case, then an entirely new tile would have to be coded.

If we can 'fall' in the sky, then we could have a giant bird (Roc) boss that can carry players as a body shield (so something like the slime) when moving players across the screen, as well as use wind to blow players to annoy players and blow them off the ladders / platforms. It's main method of attacking would be making dive runs at players. Just food for thought.
In response to Sudzzuds
While we are throwing around ideas, it would be nice if you could allow players to use some commands like .ping or .configure delay? I ask this because everyone keeps complaining about the lag, and these two commands could help people out if they know how to use them.