ID:293269

BYOND Build Number:4
Operating System:Linux Ubuntu
Video/Graphics Card: Nvidia something
Game Hub/Link: -
Internet Connection Type: fast
Firewalls/Routers: yes

Problem Description:
I've got a server.. and i want to use it to host some BYOND games.. for free, 24/7.. i dont care..
But i need someone to explain me how to do this..
I'm a complete linux noob..
I've installed BYOND, now explain to me from step 1 how-to host games and make them appear on BYOND and i'll host all ur fav. games!

Thanks..

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Once in a lifetime offer?
Greetings ShakerDeath.

Sorry for the delayed response, seems the whole BYOND Help crew decided to take a vacation at the same time.

As for your request, hosting a game on Linux should require running a single command in the terminal. I do not have access to a Linux machine at this time, so I can't give you a walk through, but there is a help file included in the Linux package that should be able to explain to you the basics.

Thanks Much.
Danial.Beta
In response to Danial.Beta
There's not much usefull in there..
I get errors like 'PATH' not found and such..

if i just know what commands to type in..
In response to ShakerDeath
I'm sorry, I don't have the documentation in front of me, but "PATH" should probably be replaced by the path to where your game is stored, so, for example, I would use the path "/home/danial/byond/mygame/mygame.dmb" because that is where my game file is stored.
Great.. and can someone with some knowledge of linux tell me how the - to do that?
In response to ShakerDeath
I have knowledge of Linux, I run two Linux machines at home, what I don't know is the exact format for the command for DreamDaemon.

I pulled the readme file out of the Linux zip. It explains rather clearly how to host a game. The simple format is:

DreamDaemon MyWorld <port> <options> &

"MyWorld" would be the path to your .dmb file. <port> would be what port you want to use, this should match whatever port you forwarded on your outer. <options> can be a good few things, but the most important ones are -ultrasafe, -safe, and -trusted. Chances are you want -ultrasafe.

So an example run of the command would be

"DreamDaemon /home/danial/byond/mygame/mygame.dmb 1337 -ultrasafe &"

It is that simple. One quick command. Reading the readme.txt included with the Linux version could have gave you this information way faster that I have.
Danial.Beta wrote:
I have knowledge of Linux, I run two Linux machines at home, what I don't know is the exact format for the command for DreamDaemon.

I pulled the readme file out of the Linux zip. It explains rather clearly how to host a game. The simple format is:

DreamDaemon MyWorld <port> <options> &

"MyWorld" would be the path to your .dmb file. <port> would be what port you want to use, this should match whatever port you forwarded on your outer. <options> can be a good few things, but the most important ones are -ultrasafe, -safe, and -trusted. Chances are you want -ultrasafe.

So an example run of the command would be

"DreamDaemon /home/danial/byond/mygame/mygame.dmb 1337 -ultrasafe &"

It is that simple. One quick command. Reading the readme.txt included with the Linux version could have gave you this information way faster that I have.

From what i experienced you have to give dreamdeamon the full path to the host, and you have to set the LD Library Path:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/byond/bin DreamDaemon /home/user/byond/MyWorld/MyWorld.dmb 1337 -ultrasafe &
In response to Reikoshea
Assuming you install from the Linux Guild repositories:

http://home.sevon.co.uk/byond/byond-install.txt

Then this is not the case.
In response to Reikoshea
I think it all depends on how you install BYOND on the system itself. I haven't had to do that in a very long time, so anything passed the installation I have no idea.

As for running DreamDaemon itself, there are two methods you can use.

cd to the path of the .dmb you want to host
cd /home/users/tiberath/mygame
And executing DreamDaemon
DreamDaemon mygame.dmb [port] -[mode -> ultrasafe/safe/trusted] [-logself] &

Ampersand is used to tell DreamDaemon it's a background process and to keep it running when you exit your terminal.

The other method, I assume is to point directly to the dmb from your current folder:
DreamDaemon /home/users/tiberath/mygame/mygame.dmb [port] -[mode -> ultrasafe/safe/trusted] [-logself] &

For the various parameters DreamDaemon supports, I refer you to the startup() proc.