ID:293270

With the TOS it's not really good I mean what happens if I host a game from say my school's Server you could claim all rights to the game and the hosting files and sue my school for such. I was wondering can you make a TOS that can explain everything of that sort? so I can verify that it's safe to host from my server I built at my school?
Greetings Azubah.

If I am understanding you, you are worried that BYOND retains some rights to your game, because it was made with the BYOND software. I'm here to tell you that you need not worry. BYOND is simply the brush you paint with. We retain no rights to your works, compiled or otherwise. This is actually beneficial for both parties, as we are not held responsible for what you do.

So, it is perfectly safe to use BYOND on your schools server, as well as host the files(assuming, of course, that it is cleared with your schools IT department). There are, of course, some basic redistribution rules on the BYOND software itself, which is outlined in the EULA contained in the package. But don't worry, it basically just states that if you are sharing the BYOND software(not your game), then you must deliver it in whole, as it comes from the BYOND download page.

I will, however, put in a ticket about a basic ToS to have a clean, official stance on such topics.

Thanks Much.
Danial.Beta
In response to Danial.Beta
Thank you I'd like to have it confirmed that BYOND won't sue and fine my School as my Tech teacher is afraid that may happen otherwise he would allow me to host games from school. I'd like a TOS to show him saying he won't have such problems with BYOND.
In response to Azubah
I'm sorry, but there is no clean written Terms of Service for the BYOND software. There is, however, the EULA which goes as following:

LEGAL NOTICE

Copyright 1996-2008 BYOND. All Rights Reserved.

The BYOND software is free, and may be freely distributed, so long as it is distributed in its entirety and free of charge. No parts of BYOND may be distributed individually, nor may extraneous parts be distributed with the package, without written permission from the authors (http://www.byond.com/support/).

In no event shall BYOND be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or related to the usage of the software or information contained within or pertaining to BYOND.

If you wish to obtain written agreement that your school is safe from prosecution by BYOND when abiding by all federal and state laws as well as by the EULA listed above, please use the support form for your request.

I have made mention of your request for a clean and clear terms of service and copyright pages. As I am a systems administrator for a day job, I understand your schools position on needing some form of written proof of safety before allowing unknown software onto the network.
In response to Danial.Beta
Well thank you very much this would help me in my programming I'm learning to program and I am using byond but I'd like to host a game without lag through my school as logn as they have a good TOS about that.
In response to Azubah
I was wondering if when you get a more clear TOS that you notify me so I may tell and show my school so I may host games from the school.