ID:293302

BYOND Build Number:4.0 (I think)
Operating System:Windows Vista
Video/Graphics Card:Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Game Hub/Link:Doesn't seem to make a difference
Internet Connection Type:High Speed/MSN
Firewalls/Routers:McAfee/2Wire 2701HG-D Gateway

Problem Description:Each time I attempt to host a game with Dream Daemon, after about 30 seconds of hosting, I get the following message:

BYOND hub reports port 63877 cannot be reached by players.

A firewall or router may be interfering with your connection. For information on hosting worlds through a firewall or router, please visit BYOND Help or portforward.com.

I have tried every single suggestion to solve the problem on the Host troubleshooting page. I followed the instructions to allow Dream Daemon access through McAfee, and also creating a user defined app to allow it through the router. I tried naming the app a few different things. I tried Dream Daemon, the name of the game, and the location of the game. I even tried copying the instructions that said to name it BYONDHost1. AFter a few hours of trying, I just decided to turn off all blocks and allow everything through. But the problem continued. However, I can host fine through my Hub on the pager. I'm not sure what else there is to try.

Thanks in advance.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:I'm not sure
G'day WafflesxCreamCheese.

Windows Vista comes with the Windows Firewall installed and activated by default. Have you set exceptions on Windows Firewall for Dream Daemon on your chosen port?

Thanks Much.
Tiberath
In response to Tiberath
I had the firewall off originally, so I went in and made the exception anyways, but after it didn't affect anything, I just shut it back off.
It's possible McAfee is interfering here. I've had problems in the past with Norton Internet Security's firewall not allowing some apps through even after I specifically made exceptions for them--that's why I no longer use it. Going by the rule of thumb that McAfee < Norton, I'd definitely want to ensure the firewall was completely shutdown.

About the router I'm less sure--I've never configured a 2Wire. For most routers it's not a matter of creating user-defined apps, just a matter of telling it that such-and-such a port has to allow inbound traffic to your computer. Bear in mind your computer has to be positively identifiable by the router as well. That means if you have the router assign you an IP like 10.0.0.2, you need to make sure that IP is always yours. (D-Link routers have a nice feature that reserves certain IPs for certain machines.) If your IP doesn't match the one you used for forwarding, there you go.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Hm...I haven't checked the IP...I'll give it a shot.