In response to Tiberath
Thank you very much for all of your assistance.

I have reinstalled to find that the files are still not there in the regedit. Is there any reason why it is not appearing there?
In response to Pentadragon
Pentadragon wrote:
Thank you very much for all of your assistance.

I have reinstalled to find that the files are still not there in the regedit. Is there any reason why it is not appearing there?

The only reason I can think for this is that you're not using an administrative account. Forgive me if I sound patronising, it's not my intention to, but are you sure you're using an administrator account? (When you installed BYOND did you select "Install for all accounts on my computer" or "Just this user account"?

(To check: Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts. The profile you're using should be displayed down the bottom with your profile's avatar, and it'll tell you if you're an administrator or not.)

This prompts back the age old suggestion of being able to choose registry entries or text files to store the data currently stored in the registry.
In response to Tiberath
Pentadragon wrote:
http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=byondej1.jpg

Guh, this is getting more and more difficult to figure out. All the normal tricks aren't working.

Did you select to install for one or all user accounts?
What is your currently installed version of Direct X?
In response to Tiberath
There was no option to install for all or one that I can recall.

I am currently usin DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Pentadragon wrote:
There was no option to install for all or one that I can recall.

Unless they changed it and I didn't notice, nearing the end of the installation process a prompt should appear asking you if you want to install for all users or just one user.

I think Norton is prone to stop things from writing to the registry, sounds like the kind of thing it would do, if only to annoy everyone. But I don't know this for certain, did you have Norton off when you reinstalled BYOND?

I am currently usin DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

That's good, your Direct X is way above the necessary version to run BYOND (Direct X 8 or higher).

I'm sorry for all this fuss too. Normally the software isn't this temperamental.
In response to Tiberath
Hmmm... My Norton Security appears to lack a button that allows me to temporarily turn it off.
Pentadragon wrote:
Hmmm... My Norton Security appears to lack a button that allows me to temporarily turn it off.

Fantastic Symantec design that. I've long since uninstalled Norton, I could reinstall it... but I hear it's an absolute pain to remove.

I'll install it on my laptop tomorrow and see what I can discover with it. I'm willing to bet that it's probably your main problem. Norton is being an over-protective pain in the rear.
In response to Tiberath
Why thank you. Norton is a bit annoying. Norton has always been a bit of a pain. It was blocking me from a Yahoo! Answers page earlier today.
Pentadragon wrote:
Why thank you. Norton is a bit annoying. Norton has always been a bit of a pain. It was blocking me from a Yahoo! Answers page earlier today.

If it's a matter of choice, I recommend switching over to Kaspersky Internet Security, from my time with it, it was a very pretty little security system that didn't go out of it's way to annoy me.
In response to Tiberath
Have you located Norton yet?
Pentadragon wrote:

Oh sorry! It completely slipped my mind. I have a copy of Norton Internet Security 2008 from the tutorial I wrote about it, I'll check up on it now.
Pentadragon wrote:

So... funny story, turns out my copy of Norton was lost when I formatted my hard drive. I'll acquire a copy tonight and see what I can do with it in the morning. Sorry.
In response to Tiberath
Why the heck would you want to put Norton back on your computer? :(
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Why the heck would you want to put Norton back on your computer? :(

If it means I can successfully help our very patient friend here, why not? It's a small sacrifice to make for someone who might become a valuable asset to the BYOND community.
In response to Tiberath
Is there any way I can download the missing files and manually place them where they should be?
Pentadragon wrote:
Is there any way I can download the missing files and manually place them where they should be?

What files are you missing?

--

I still find it odd that the installer is failing to place registry entries. Do you have -any- other virus/spyware/adware software that's slipped your mind?
In response to Tiberath
I appear to be missing only the files in the registry.

As far as I know I have no other virus/spyware/adware software on my computer. Unless it was installed without my knowledge there is no other software.
Pentadragon wrote:
I appear to be missing only the files in the registry.

As far as I know I have no other virus/spyware/adware software on my computer. Unless it was installed without my knowledge there is no other software.

I think the default BYOND skin is generated the first time you join a game without a custom skin, but don't hold me on that.

Otherwise game skins are extracted from the RSC when you enter a game.

However, if it turns out I'm wrong, I've uploaded the default BYOND skin for you (http://www.tiberath.com/BYOND.zip), extract it into your BYOND/Skins folder and you'll have the default skin, at least.
In response to Tiberath
I temporarily lost my internet connection and with the holidays things got away from me. I have returned.

I am sorry but I do not have a SKINS folder in either of my BYOND folders. THe BYOND folder in My Documents and the file in my Program Files are identical.

I have an image with several things I thought may be of use. I managed to access the window in the bottom middle by typing the example given under the Open Location on the "Build your Own Net Dream"

Hopefully this will help
Page: 1 2 3