ID:293344

yeah sorry for the post probably others have posted the same thing. Im just asking. If someone makes a rip of my game, is that against byond rules, can anything happen more to him exept that i might ban him from my game? It's just a question becuase i notice so many rips.
Official Staff policy is that we do not police rips. Rips are exceedingly common so requests to deal with them would take up the majority of our admins' limited time (as we know from prior experience), and due to the nature of the problem there is no way to investigate and deal with each case fairly. I have been known to take down hub entries that just distribute another user's source code, however, because such cases are obvious theft.

The best solution to rips is not to let your game get ripped. Don't give out the source code, and don't develop games alongside people you can't 100% trust. Because trust is often misplaced, especially by our usual breed of gamer, a good rule of thumb is that if your parents wouldn't trust that person with their car keys, you shouldn't trust them with your code. It is however possible to work on collaborative projects where users take different pieces of the code, or a mapper for instance has only just enough to actually make maps, so you can cooperate on a game with minimal risk if you approach it right.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
mostly asking becuase i got a source that im currently editing icons,remapping and etc etc and then some dude came and said it was rip. but still it aint a rip according to me since it is remade.
In response to Tragero
Tragero wrote:
mostly asking becuase i got a source that im currently editing icons,remapping and etc etc and then some dude came and said it was rip. but still it aint a rip according to me since it is remade.

The dude is right; if you started with someone else's game and made changes, it's a rip.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
but it isn't illegal?becuase the owner of the game is already [expletive deleted] up.
In response to Tragero
All the owner of that game can do is whine alot to other people and ban you on his own game...
In response to Vegetassj9
that was what i wanted to hear. But i aint really ripping. just using my own way of help :3. Im using some codes to see what i coded wrong. Also the source was given to me in trust (who said im trustable). So i havent stolen or so. Just asking.
In response to Tragero
Tragero wrote:
that was what i wanted to hear. But i aint really ripping. just using my own way of help :3. Im using some codes to see what i coded wrong. Also the source was given to me in trust (who said im trustable). So i havent stolen or so. Just asking.

It's still a rip by definition, even if the source is not stolen. If you use it to learn from but end up writing your own game from scratch without using the other game's code, then your game is not a rip, but only then. In practice though, even using other games' source to learn from isn't usually that helpful since a lot of programmers have truly bad habits which then end up propagating to a new "generation".

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
This post has me thinking. Is there a "How to not get your game ripped" Dream Makers article? If not, there should be. Considering it is a big problem with BYOND. I'd be willing to write it, but from the looks of it, you have a pretty good idea to start with.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
Is there a "How to not get your game ripped" Dream Makers article?

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I somehow doubt that either the average "programmer" who has her code ripped, or the average "ripper" are reading Dream Makers articles.

That might be similar to writing a newspaper article asking people to watch less TV and read more newspapers ;)
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Perhaps you are right, but most rippers, and people have had their games ripped, want to know how to stop it in the future. So if we can pull them into reading the article, then there is a good chance they might actually realize there is a great developer resource in Dream Makers.

At the very lease, it wont hurt to try. And when someone comes crying "Someone ripped my game!", then we can say "We warned you, and gave you the steps on how to prevent it." And then shoo them away.
In response to Lummox JR
yes okay then i quess im a ripper. The owner deserves it, threating the players like [poop]. Oh well im not the first to do it so. anyway back to iconing and coding.
In response to Tragero
Tragero wrote:
yes okay then i quess im a ripper.

Congratulations, the first step to fixing this is admitting it.

The owner deserves it, threating the players like [poop].

If you don't like the way he runs his game, too bad. It's their hard work, regardless of their actions, you still have no right to steal it.

Oh well im not the first to do it so. anyway back to iconing and coding.

If you are using a ripped source code, chances are, everything that source code is teaching you will come back to haunt you.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: The habits you pick up when you start your programming journey are the ones that are the hardest to break when/if you realise how bad they are. And ripped source code has nothing but bad programming practices that you'll regret using if you take programming seriously.
In response to Tragero
your just admitting your game is ripped and therefor it isn't your game

i would think that if someone admitted to ripping the admins could do something. couldn't they take the game off the site? and IP ban?...although the person could probably just use a proxy and re load it i guess.
In response to Mikea.c.
well as i saw in another post. None can say if a game is ripped or not since those who amde the orgiginal game did rip the show that made the series. It's like the naruto games. the original is a rip as well since they use the name and story,groups,clans that is from the show. so everyone are rippers techniclly hehe.
In response to Tragero
not if people com up with original ideas,,,and besides citrine the only good games ive played are original unless there rips and im unaware
In response to Mikea.c.
still the name and the story, races,characters,weapons,special words. all that is ripping techniclly.
In response to Tragero
Tragero wrote:
still the name and the story, races,characters,weapons,special words. all that is ripping techniclly.

Actually, using the likeliness of things in a TV show isn't ripping. It's copyright infringement, and that is punishable by law. Anyone who owns a fangame of any kind is actually guilty of this.

I don't know how it goes for your country, and I'm not even sure on copyright laws from my own country, but I'm fairly sure that the company can sue you, potentially for thousands.

BYOND hasn't been targeted by any of these anime companies because either we're too small and going under the radar, or the companies see BYOND Games (because they make zero profit) as just a method to increase or keep interest in their shows. Which one, I have no idea. And too be honest, I don't care to find out.
In response to Tiberath
Generally non-profit games based on television shows, and other games are looked over and don't bother the companies because of what you said about generating interest, and because they don't make any profit. They're merely fan-fiction.

However, the moment one of them starts to generate any sort of income, no matter how small... the company will be all over you with an army boot and a chipped curb.