ID:293345

BYOND Build Number: 410
Operating System: Linux

Problem Description:
I can't seem to get host powers on the games I host.
I have no idea how to tell the servers which account to give hosting powers. I tried tunneling my connection to the server and connecting as localhost with server IP. But it still doesn't give me hosting powers.

Any ideas?

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Host a game on Linux
G'day Bug2000.

I could be mistaken, I'm not so hot on this Linux jingo myself, but I don't think the Linux Daemon has the ability to report the hosts key. Because you don't login with the pager, the hub will receive no login data regarding your computer, so DreamDaemon can't report to the hub who the game host is.

At least, that's what I think is happening. With my own Linux servers, I've noticed that no host key is reported. And the above is the only reason I can think of for it.

By the way, Build 410 for Linux is horribly outdated. I suggest updating to 430.1005 Linux Build.

Thanks Much.
Tiberath
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
I could be mistaken, I'm not so hot on this Linux jingo myself, but I don't think the Linux Daemon has the ability to report the hosts key. Because you don't login with the pager, the hub will receive no login data regarding your computer, so DreamDaemon can't report to the hub who the game host is.

At least, that's what I think is happening. With my own Linux servers, I've noticed that no host key is reported. And the above is the only reason I can think of for it.

That's correct--in Windows, Dream Daemon has access to the pager so it can report that information. (This is a big step up from the old days, when no games reported this at all!) In Linux that isn't an option because there is no pager there.

The way to handle this, it seems to me, would be to either create a minimalist Linux pager, or augment the Linux version of DD to handle rudimentary logins. As I don't do any of the Linux development however, this is more of a what-if scenario.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Tiberath wrote:

That's correct--in Windows, Dream Daemon has access to the pager so it can report that information. (This is a big step up from the old days, when no games reported this at all!) In Linux that isn't an option because there is no pager there.

The way to handle this, it seems to me, would be to either create a minimalist Linux pager, or augment the Linux version of DD to handle rudimentary logins. As I don't do any of the Linux development however, this is more of a what-if scenario.

Lummox JR

Truth it, it was running 419. I just didn't remember the number of my head. Anyway, I've updated the server the clean way [it's not like I had any configuration in the installation folder].

Either way, I care lass about my Key being reported to the hub. I want the game itself to recognize me as host. For example, give me the ability to kick people off [Without kicking everybody by server restart] or even actually being able to host Murderer Mansion [No host -> No one can start the game].
Is there a way to at least make the game hosted by the Daemon recognize me as the host?
In response to Bug2000
Some older games weren't setup to run in Dream Daemon, so the solution to be recognized as a host is to be the first to log in. In many cases that makes the game believe you're hosting. For games that utterly rely on world.host, though, I don't really have any solutions to offer.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I might have a small and easy solution,

Maybe make a file which they have to edit like:

Key: YourKeyHere;

And that dreamdaemon reads the key file and uses that key for the world.host var.
In response to Vegetassj9
Vegetassj9 wrote:

And that dreamdaemon reads the key file and uses that key for the world.host var.

The key would need to be authenticated through the hub, so some form of hub communication is essential. It's possible to store offline key info so that hub communication isn't essential every time, but that key info still has to be downloaded from some initial connection to the hub.

Lummox JR
In response to Vegetassj9
Vegetassj9 wrote:

The problem with that is multiple users on a Linux system.

At the moment, one of my servers has four active users hosting BYOND applications. Doing it that way, would mean either we install separate versions of BYOND for each individual user account, which would be hell to maintain and update for our server admin, or every game hosted on the server is reportedly hosted by the one guy, which isn't fun.

I like Lummox's idea better, that is, adding an optional parameter for DreamDaemon to include a host key.
Instead of typing DreamDaemon [Game].dmb port -logself & You'd be typing something like:
DreamDaemon [game].dmb port -logself -host "Tiberath" &
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Vegetassj9 wrote:

The problem with that is multiple users on a Linux system.

At the moment, one of my servers has four active users hosting BYOND applications. Doing it that way, would mean either we install separate versions of BYOND for each individual user account, which would be hell to maintain and update for our server admin, or every game hosted on the server is reportedly hosted by the one guy, which isn't fun.

I like Lummox's idea better, that is, adding an optional parameter for DreamDaemon to include a host key.
Instead of typing DreamDaemon [Game].dmb port -logself & You'd be typing something like:
DreamDaemon [game].dmb port -logself -host "Tiberath" &

In other words, nothing can be done. Well, I guess I could try and contact the game maker hoping he will make a way for people to host in on a daemon.
In response to Bug2000
Wasn't there a configuration file you could use to set the host? I know there's something like that...
Unless it was removed :/
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Wasn't there a configuration file you could use to set the host? I know there's something like that...
Unless it was removed :/

I have no idea myself. But either way, with a config file or my command line suggestion, there is a flaw with it: There's no way to verify the host is who the person says it is.

Take for instance, Laser Wars, only subscribers can host games with more than two people (IIRC). If someone who wasn't a subscriber was to tell Daemon that I am the host (using yours or my desired methods), then that person would gain subscriber benefits under my name (IE: 4 player games).

So I suppose the method to fix this would either be: Open up your key.txt, copy the desired key you want, save it under something like host.txt and upload it to the server for Daemon to read OR supply the key password in the command line (which I just realised fails, because the process manager (ps ax|grep DreamDaemon) would display the password as an argument and effectively ruin existence...)