ID:293363

BYOND Build Number:431.1006_byond
Operating System: Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card:Pentium R<--not sure if thats what your looking for.
Game Hub/Link:?
Internet Connection Type:DSL
Firewalls/Routers:None

Problem Description:
Well I guess I'm like everyone else. I have tried the idea of portforwarding which I got from pentadragon's post, no help. I can't even get the guest profile to get an online connection with the hub. By the way; my problem is "BYOND Hub: connection failed"

Everything was done under a administrator account. I current do not have a firewall active. I downloaded the software from http://www.byond.com/download/ First time I have had this issue.

3.5 still works for me. That limits me from litterly every game. I can play an old version of Mystic Journey. Just not any version past 427. Point I'm making is that the older versions of byond still work for me. This newer version has cut me off from everything. o.0 I'v been playing byond since mj and proelium, and byond arena where created and active.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:Install byond 431.1006. Run the program. Once everything is set up, I open byond. Type in my key and password. Then when I click login, I receive a horrific beating from a stick that has the words connection failed written all over it.
If you can't reach the BYOND hub, there are only two culprits: Your system or your ISP. By using network diagnostic tools you should be able to tell if your system is trying to reach the hub and if so you may learn where the connection is failing. If your system is not even sending out the request to talk to the hub, then the problem is at your ISP's end.

This sort of problem as you've described it happens most often when a firewall is keyed to allow only a known version of a program to access the Internet, and the firewall denies access after the program is upgraded. I know you say you're not using any firewalls at all, but that contradicts your results somewhat so I wouldn't be surprised if you overlooked something. Either way, analyzing your network traffic should give you insight into what's happening.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Alright I have double checked my computer. I just added the byond program to my exceptions list on my xp. For the built in firewall, disabled. I'v completly shut down avg.<--my firewall/virus software. I guess It's left to blame my ISP because I just don't understand why it works with the older versions but not the newer one.

Still the stick that has labeled it self as "hub failure" has smashed my hopes into submission.

By the way this xp has been booted up from a cd and has been cleaned of all files. The files that related byond; past the date of 11/13/08 are gone. I installed 431.1006 first. Then when I found it didn't work I installed the older version. I'v just spent a few minutes here and there trying to figure out the problem.

I don't really want to deal with issues for this program that much.

Does anyone have a link to a slightly older version of byond thats not 431.1006, but above 3.5. I'm not sure on what the versions of byond where. I'm hoping I can find something in between the two versions that may work.

mob/proc/Death to connection()
if(!key)
del src
else
loc = null
var/again = input("Want to join?") in list("yes","no")
if(again == "no")
Login() //Thy wishes to enter again? Yes you say? Thou's access is denied!
else
del src // side note "don't know if i typed that correctly"
In response to Yoshi99
Going to an older version really won't solve the problem. Indeed as more servers migrate to 430 you won't have many options.

AVG shouldn't need to stay shutdown, but if you have a firewall component I'd leave that off while trying to diagnose this. Check for anything like Norton Internet Security or something similar that may also be running.

I'm not sure what you mean about the exceptions list if you've disabled your built-in XP firewall. If the firewall is disabled, then BYOND doesn't need to be an exception. Of course for wherever you do need exceptions, you need to remember to make them for byond.exe, dreamseeker.exe, and dreamdaemon.exe.

Another option you have is to manually specify the hub address to use, by going into the pager preferences. Our main hub is at hub.byond.com:6001 and the alternate is hub.byond.com:20002. Also, though I feel sure you must have tried this, double-check that the pager is actually set to Public or Private and is not set to None.

Ultimately there's not a lot I can do but throw darts at the problem from here. I still think something on your network end is screwing up the whole works.

Lummox JR