ID:293413

Hi im having trouble connecting to the byond game my friend is hosting. When he hosts i cannot connect I only get up to the Connecting to byond with the IP and everything and immediately it fails. He can connect through dream deamon but also having the issue of connecting through the byond client everyone else uses. any solutions to allow me onto the game from his network? Also this is a public game and everyone can log onto it just fine its just me on his LAN
Greetings Lucifer_Nadrihm.

You haven't provided enough information/ignored the forum template and as a result of this, we are unable to help you. In order to be of any real assistance, we need to know as much detailed information about your computer as possible.
Please consult All about the BYOND Help Forum if you are unsure on how to fill out any of the template fields.

Once you are sure you have enough information, please reply to this post with all the information you can. From there, we'll see if we'll be able to help you solve your problem.

Please make sure to include the information if you can connect to other games and if you are sure that other people can connect to the game successfully.

Yours sincerely,
Schnitzelnagler.
Is your computer connected to the internet? If it's not you won't be able to connect to his server if he's hosting it online. If it is, can you connect to other games? This is vital information that we need, and thus the reason why a template is provided for you. If you want help, you are strongly encouraged to give us as much information about your problems as possible, we aren't psychic.
BYOND Build Number:432.1007
Operating System:Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7000M/ nForce 610M
Game Hub/Link: http://www.byond.com/games/ SumeAkatsukiLeader.NarutoRiencarnation3
Internet Connection Type: DSL
Firewalls/Routers: Linksys router no firewall turned on on hosters computer or mine.

Problem Description: I can connect to any other game even the game im having problems with if someone else is hosting it. The problem is when i go over to my friends house on his network i cannot connect to the game he is hosting it immediately goes to connecting to byond failed. But if someone else hosts the game i can connect no problem. the host can connect through dream deamon just fine. My friend said he had no problems before hosting and i was able to but for some reason cannot this time. Any help would be great.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: connecting from a different network (Game connected fine), Turn all firewalls off completely (problem was still there), having my friend connect through the byond client (he was unable to connect like i am unable to connect on his network).
In response to Lucifer_Nadrihm
How is the network set up with your friend?
You're sure that you have full internet access when trying to join the game while he's hosting?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
I figured it out on my own i had to open a new location and type in his internal IP address along with the port number. thanks anyways
In response to Lucifer_Nadrihm
Lucifer_Nadrihm wrote:
I figured it out on my own i had to open a new location and type in his internal IP address along with the port number. thanks anyways

That's a sign that he's behind a router and/or firewall that hasn't been properly configured. If you can get in via the local network but you can't join through normal BYOND channels, his game isn't accessible to the outside world. He should be seeing a message to that effect when he hosts in Dream Daemon.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
(...)his game isn't accessible to the outside world. He should be seeing a message to that effect when he hosts in Dream Daemon.

I was suspecting the same, but in the first posting, he claimed that others have no problem joining. So, either I misunderstood him, he mixed something up, or it would be a different problem.

Lucifer_Nadrihm wrote:
(...)Also this is a public game and everyone can log onto it just fine its just me on his LAN
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
(...)his game isn't accessible to the outside world. He should be seeing a message to that effect when he hosts in Dream Daemon.

I was suspecting the same, but in the first posting, he claimed that others have no problem joining. So, either I misunderstood him, he mixed something up, or it would be a different problem.

Some home routers have a feature, enabled by default, that prevents a connection from going out from the LAN, and then coming back in through a port forward. If I remember right (I don't use that particular router of mine anymore), it's called something like LAN(WAN?) loopback.

If whatever the setting is can't be changed, he should be able to join within the LAN by using his server's LAN ip address rather than the public one. It'll probably be something like 192.168.1.100

Lucifer_Nadrihm wrote:
(...)Also this is a public game and everyone can log onto it just fine its just me on his LAN
In response to Jon88
When i said Public Game i was talking about public to whoever plays byond around the world. I appreciate the help u guys tried to give.