ID:293423

Yes, it is I again. I have one more inquiry regarding to the same thing as before, but on a larger scale.

"If someone has host files and uses an RSC extractor to get icons, is there something that can be done?"

As before, I'll use an example (I'll refrain from using names):

A game that I play and am a staff member on (I'll just call GME) had one player as a host. However, later on, he joined up with someone else. He started doing questionable behavior on GME and was banned. He turned up on a game alike to GME as a staff member.

This game, as stated, is alike to GME. However, they have many of the icons and sprites from GME. We do not have proof that they used an RSC Extractor, but how alike the icons are give us, beyond a reasonable doubt, that they used one.

So... is there anything that can be done?
No, while it is frowned upon when people use RSC extractors, there's nothing the staff will do. They won't shut down their game, delete their hub, ban them, etc.

Basically, your out of luck, sorry.
In response to Flame Sage
Doesn't matter if the Staff will do anything, but if it's possible for anything to be done. Other than the inevitable feud which would grow because of anything tried, not much will come of the players attempting to resolve this themselves.

Since this is a part of the Copyright post I made earlier, I feel that it's just an extension of the Copyright infringement that comes with using custom icons and sprites from the players, which a total of at least 3 to 5 were taken.

Is there something that can be done with this information?
In response to Valyrin
If you want to take them to court sure, but because your (probably) under 18, I don't believe you can go to court, plus no sane judge would even take a glance at such a small, worthless case.

There are much bigger fish to fry.
In response to Flame Sage
Although I appreciate your input, I'd rather have a Staff Member of BYOND respond to my inquiry. I do see logic in what you say, although I'd be more willing to believe it if I had seen it from a Staff Member.

Thank you at least for the input you gave, Flame Sage.
In response to Valyrin
Whatever, just do a forum search if you want to find the answer from an Admin.
In response to Valyrin
I'm not a staff member, but wouldn't a lawyer fit better in this case?
What the rsc extractor does, anyone with a keyboard can do with the 'print screen' key, save for it being faster. Flame Sage said that the staff won't do anything about your problem, which he is correct and incorrect at the same time. It's not that the staff won't do anything, but they can't do anything. They don't have the time or the resources to spend babysitting every BYOND game on here.

If you're waiting for BYOND staff to respond to this, you might be waiting a while. Most of the problems that are taken to this forum are solved by a handful of BYOND members that have been around the community for a while, and have the information at hand to answer the questions(as well as the decency to try).

The most you're going to see the other game get if the graphics that were taken are truly original, is frowns and a bad name. If you want to discuss this with someone who's had a similar problem, you'll want to talk to Masterdan. He's had this problem with Naruto GOA, and I'm sure he'll tell you that you're just wasting your own energy fighting it. You put something on the internet, it's going to get stolen. That's just the way the internet works. You might as well just shrug it off and ignore it.
Greetings Valyrin.

Althought I am not "BYOND Staff", I am a moderator on the developer forums, BYOND Casual, and I run the Help guild.

To answer your question, as Mikau state, the BYOND staff cannot do anything about it. It is quite impossible for BYOND to tell who originally created what. If, for example, I decided I didn't like your game, what is to stop me from claiming you stole the icons from me? Thus having your game removed from the hub. On top of the difficulty of telling who was the original creator of a piece of art, it is actually legally worse for them to start making judgment calls like that then to just let the users settle between each other.

Now, you are more than welcome to try to protect your copyrighted material, and to do that, you must go talk to a lawyer. He will know the correct steps to carry forward.

As Mikau stated, it's best to just accept that people will always try to take credit for your work, and hope that your work speaks for itself. Sure, if you were making a bunch of money of your BYOND game, and felt that people using your work was costing you, I would recommend getting a lawyer and working out what to do next. Something tells me, however, you aren't making the type of money that a lawyer would cost off your BYOND game.

Thanks Much.
Danial.Beta