ID:293454

I recently posted a message in the classified ad section of the forum and when I refreshed my page to check for any replies I got a message saying that it had been deleted and byond no longer allows fan games or something like that. What? Byond has been and is still full of fan games. My game may be a fan game but it is still mostly an original game. I mean technically it was a fan game but the forum game that it is being based on was created by US. So its a fan game based on our own game... So while its not really much of a fan game I don't even understand why fangames arent allowed anyways.. could someone please explain to me why i'm unable to search for staff members here?
New posts in Classified Ads should fill out the template.* Unless otherwise specified, these sections are NOT optional. Please fill them all out as best you can.

Also, when posting an Ad on Classifieds:

* Although not a strict requirement, you are encouraged to take your time to use your best spelling and grammar in your ads. There's no hurry, so take the time to read it over and spellcheck.

* Give your post a meaningful title. Most people who post on Classified Ads are looking for help, so you don't need to say "help wanted" in your title. Also, DO NOT make titles which are all capitalized or which use excessive punctuation (ie. "!!!!").

* DO NOT make posts for projects which knowingly make use of copyrighted material or another person's intellectual property without their permission. (This means fangames and other such projects)

* All posts which violate these terms, or which are not properly filled out will be deleted! Repeat offenders may find themselves banned.

*NOTE: People who are posting to advertise their services do not need to follow this template! However, they should provide some basic information in their posts:

* Contact information.

* Skills or services offered.

* Desired compensation.

* Examples of work if available.
Mylynes wrote:
(...) could someone please explain to me why i'm unable to search for staff members here?

Since Airjoe already answered the main point, I'm only going to comment this one.
If you select "Help" -> "Contact" you should be supplied with a list of contact possibilities fitting every specific need you might encounter.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
New posts in Classified Ads should fill out the template.* Unless otherwise specified, these sections are NOT optional. Please fill them all out as best you can.

Also, when posting an Ad on Classifieds:

* Although not a strict requirement, you are encouraged to take your time to use your best spelling and grammar in your ads. There's no hurry, so take the time to read it over and spellcheck.

* Give your post a meaningful title. Most people who post on Classified Ads are looking for help, so you don't need to say "help wanted" in your title. Also, DO NOT make titles which are all capitalized or which use excessive punctuation (ie. "!!!!").

* DO NOT make posts for projects which knowingly make use of copyrighted material or another person's intellectual property without their permission. (This means fangames and other such projects)

* All posts which violate these terms, or which are not properly filled out will be deleted! Repeat offenders may find themselves banned.

*NOTE: People who are posting to advertise their services do not need to follow this template! However, they should provide some basic information in their posts:

* Contact information.

* Skills or services offered.

* Desired compensation.

* Examples of work if available.

I already read that. I read it before posting my topic and I do not believe I broke any of the rules. I did follow the template and I luckily managed to save the message from a window that did not get refreshed.

"* DO NOT make posts for projects which knowingly make use of copyrighted material or another person's intellectual property without their permission. (This means fangames and other such projects)"

Both the original forum game and our game are owned by the same people. I'm fairly sure we have our own permission to be making this game so it's not without permission.

The reason I am here asking about this is because I do not believe my post violated any rules. Yes it could be viewed as a fangame just from skimming though it but I do not believe there was any reason to delete it as the game it is based on belongs to us. In fact if my post was looked at more closely I did mention that there are plans for interaction between the two games.

I do not believe a game based on our own game should be considered a fan game. If I were more specific about this would I be able to repost my ad? I would really like to be able to find some help as this is a very large project and more than I can handle solo. There are also like 15-20 people from the original game really looking forward to this game which really.. is more of an extension of our original than a fangame(really starting to dislike that word..).
In response to Mylynes
It was a Naruto fan-game, Naruto is copyrighted material and someone else's intellectual property. It would be far better for you to post in BYOND Anime's classified ads section.
In response to Stephen001
Ok yes I can understand it being based on naruto. Only thing is how many freakin naruto games are there on byond? Were allowed to make them and publish them but we can't look for staff?
Thanks for pointing out the anime area then. I still don't understand the point in deleting all the posts looking for people to help out with animebased games.. and allowing it in another area.. and also not mentioning that it needs to be moved but instead just wiping it and making you think byond no longer allows anime games despite the large number of them still running..

Why does all of this have to be confusing?
I guess I will go repost my ad in the anime area and hope it doesn't get deleted or somehow get me banned for some reason.
In response to Mylynes
BYOND Anime is a BYOND run banner guild, as such BYOND chooses the head staff for it. It seems unlikely to me that they would delete your advert, or in fact ban you without good reason. I'm a moderator for BYOND Anime and Dream Makers. The reason we request that people move Anime fan-game adverts (and the reason that the rule exists) is to try and promote other kinds of BYOND games. The simple fact that BYOND has so many of these Anime fan-games (of the same three shows for the most part) is becoming quite a problem for BYOND's well rounded growth. A lot of regulars on Dream Makers are liable not to reply to Anime fan-game adverts, where-as regulars to BYOND Anime will, as such your advert gets a better response in BYOND Anime.

Moderators delete the topics for the simple reason that their sheer volume means even just closing them with a comment to move them results in the other adverts easily getting knocked off the first page, the very situation the rule is supposed to prevent. I have expressed a concern about the way the rule is worded before, as well as it's position in the rule list and it's lack of pointing to BYOND Anime.
In response to Mylynes
You're taking the entire process far too personally. It has nothing to do with you. BYOND gets an over-abundant amount of Anime games which are put into one section of BYOND for a reason. If your game is a fan-game, then it is in that section of BYOND for the simple reason that you are more likely to get people to help you that also share the same love for games of the type and style that you do.

Putting your advertisement in the main classified ads is more likely to get it looked at by people like myself, which in turn results in comments like "Ugh, just another stupid Naruto game, like BYOND needs any of those", as well as "Why don't you stop ripping people off and make your own game."

We're not out to get you, we're just keeping the place civilized by dividing up the social groups to keep the 'flaming' to a minimum.
I have expressed a concern about the way the rule is worded before, as well as it's position in the rule list and it's lack of pointing to BYOND Anime.

If this were changed I do not know about others but it definately would have made things easier for me. I would not have posted the first ad and I would not have needed to come here trying to figure out what to do.
In response to Mikau
"You're taking the entire process far too personally. It has nothing to do with you. BYOND gets an over-abundant amount of Anime games which are put into one section of BYOND for a reason. If your game is a fan-game, then it is in that section of BYOND for the simple reason that you are more likely to get people to help you that also share the same love for games of the type and style that you do.

Putting your advertisement in the main classified ads is more likely to get it looked at by people like myself, which in turn results in comments like "Ugh, just another stupid Naruto game, like BYOND needs any of those", as well as "Why don't you stop ripping people off and make your own game."

We're not out to get you, we're just keeping the place civilized by dividing up the social groups to keep the 'flaming' to a minimum."

The only reason I came here is because I needed a way to look for people to help with our original game. The rules didn't make it very obvious that all anime based games are not allowed nor did it point to a place where they are allowed or I wouldn't have posted there from the beginning. I also would not have come here if instead of it merely being deleted it had been moved or in the least given a message telling me that there is a place where I can post adds for my game. I still got there so all is well.. but because of the way the forum is set up I had to jump through several hoops to get there. If there really is such a problem with people posting anime there things could be handled much better.

But yea.. I got to the anime forum now so all is well. I don't need this thread to be here any longer so might be a good idea to delete it to prevent drama or something from being started. I don't care if things get changed or not but other people probably will.

Peace and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
In response to Mylynes
There's a general rule of thumb that any fan based game, be it anime or non-anime, isn't an original game, as it is based on another persons work. The thread isn't likely to be deleted either, because we encourage people to search the forum when they have a problem to see if another user has had their problem, saving the problem solvers from answering the same questions time and time again.