ID:293457

I want to host a game and i have router and port forwarded. But the main problem is - my server is up for like 35 seconds and then it crashes and i see words: "Connection failed". What is the problem and what do i do?

Thanks and sorry for bad English.
Greetings Yugiz.

You haven't provided enough information/ignored the forum template and as a result of this, we are unable to help you. In order to be of any real assistance, we need to know as much detailed information about your computer as possible.
Please consult All about the BYOND Help Forum if you are unsure on how to fill out any of the template fields.

Once you are sure you have enough information, please reply to this post with all the information you can. From there, we'll see if we'll be able to help you solve your problem.

Please make sure to add the following points as well:
*How are you hosting (Dream Seeker, or Dream Daemon)?
*How are you connecting to he game (locally)?
*Does this problem occur for every game you try, or only for a specific one?

Yours sincerely,
Schnitzelnagler.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
*How are you hosting (Dream Seeker, or Dream Daemon)? I tried both. Same problem.
*How are you connecting to he game (locally)? Didn't really understand the question, but i go to my server through daemon button.
*Does this problem occur for every game you try, or only for a specific one? I tried only 1 game.

BYOND Build Number: What is the build number? If that means version, i got 429.999
Operating System: Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Game Hub/Link: http://www.byond.com/games/Kajika/DuelMonstersOnline
Internet Connection Type: Broadband.
Firewalls/Routers: Linksys WRT150N

Problem Description: i described the problem in my first post.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
In response to Yugiz 60
Could you please try to host Proelium, since I know this works without trouble for me (to see if the problem is specific to the game you're hosting)?

If it is a problem specific to the game, you might try to contact the owner and see if there is a problem with the source code.

If suffer the same problem with other games, you might try following these instructions and see if that helps.

If the problem persists, could you tell me if Dream Daemon crashes, or if it outputs any error message?

Thank you in advance.
I'm pretty sure it's not the game because i CAN open the world, BUT the Dream DAEMON closes it after 35 seconds and it doesn't say that there is any problems. It just stops hosting.
In response to Yugiz 60
Yugiz 60 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's not the game because i CAN open the world, BUT the Dream DAEMON closes it after 35 seconds

Well, did you try?
There is a difference between hosting a game and running it, which might very well crash it.
And I'd say the 60 seconds trying to host another game should be well worth it to be sure.

Yugiz 60 wrote:
and it doesn't say that there is any problems. It just stops hosting.

And Dream Daemon does not crash?
Did you try to follow the instructions that I linked you to?
What happens when you're hosting on Dream Seeker (is the message the same)?
I don't understand what you said about running and hosting a game. AND for the 60 seconds. In this point you didn't understand me. I would like to host it for hours maybe, but i can't. When i open a world in Dream Daemon in first 35 secs it looks like everything is ok, but after 35 seconds the world closes (Dream Daemon doesn't crash like turn off or something). And for those instructions. It's for BYOND's crashing, not the Dream Daemon's. But yeah, i tried that too.

EDIT: found a line in Dream Seeker when world closes: "Version could not be verified. Check your internet connection and try again.
Connection failed."
In response to Yugiz 60
I meant that you should try to host the game I linked you to in order to verify your assumption that it is not a game specific error. Hosting for like 60 seconds should be enough to figure it out, which was what I meant with "60 seconds", I'm well aware that you would wish to host the real game for hours.

The error described sounds more like a game specific message (though, I could be wrong) in which case the owner might be able to shed some light on the topic.

Edit:
As you say Dream Daemon does not crash, what happens if you try to connect to the same Dream Daemon instance again, or does it automatically stop hosting?
It automatically stops hosting. OK i'll try that game. And 1 more thing. Read my last message's edit. Maybe that is the problem (i'm new to this so i don't know).

EDIT: i can't download that game.
In response to Yugiz 60
Yugiz 60 wrote:
Read my last message's edit. Maybe that is the problem (i'm new to this so i don't know).

I did read and even comment on it *smiles*

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
The error described sounds more like a game specific message (though, I could be wrong) in which case the owner might be able to shed some light on the topic.

I was hinting at the fact that the owner of the game could have included some sort of check and thus could have had the game automatically stop hosting after 35 seconds.

Edit:
Uh... can you download and try to host this game instead?
It worked. At least it lasted longer than 40 seconds :)
But still in that game Version could not be verified.
In response to Yugiz 60
I'm rather convinced that Kajika has included some sort of white list check for people who are allowed to host in her/his game and that might cause you trouble.
If you got the hosting files by legal means, you should try to contact her/him about this issue.
If you got the hosting files through "friends", well, that check seems to be working as I'd guess it tries to prevent exactly this, seeing the page does not provide a download link.
Oh, never mind. I gave up with this. But i downloaded these files from game hub (they were put on long time ago).
Thanks for everything.
In response to Yugiz 60
I encourage you to update your BYOND anyways, even if it's not the problem. You can click here to find the latest version.