ID:293489

BYOND Build Number:355.914
Operating System:XP Pro
Video/Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4870
Game Hub/Link: Any Game?
Internet Connection Type:DSL (Even though the computer with the issue is OC3 I dont see how it matters.)
Firewalls/Routers:No firewall/ No router.

Problem Description: Every time I open any game and attempt to host it using seeker it closes right after I hit ok. An to make matters even worse for some reason if I open up a world but dont host it then just close it the .lk files dont get compressed back into there respected files so I have the RSC and the RSC.lk sitting there among all the other world files. Iv totally removed BYOND and deleted all files with it I tried 4.0. It seems to be only this computers issue. No other computer is having the issue. Does BYOND run any DLL's in the system32 folder and if so can I get a list? Maybe I denied access to a DLL it needs. Thats the only thing I can think of and yes I have rebooted the computer a million times checked for virus's and disabled all forms of protection I have hell I even uninstalled all my protection.

*** Begin Log: Thu Feb 12 15:28:12 2009 ***

*** Begin Log: Thu Feb 12 15:32:24 2009 ***

*** Begin Log: Thu Feb 12 15:32:45 2009 ***

*** Begin Log: Thu Feb 12 15:33:03 2009 ***

Seems as if when I close byond out it doesnt even shut down?

Steps to Reproduce Problem: Uh open any game click host and then click ok....
Ac19189 wrote:
Iv totally removed BYOND and deleted all files with it I tried 4.0.

Did you delete your personal BYOND folder as well (sitting in MyDocuments by default under XP)?
And I take it that the problem persists through builds (you tried 436.1012, right)?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Yes and yes. I think it might be a issue with a DLL in the system32 folder. I have set the computer on the shelf and started hosting with another computer trying to work this one out. Know of any dll's that byond uses?
In response to Ac19189
No, I'm sorry.
I fear you'll have to wait for Lummox JR or Tom to give a concrete answer.
Does this problem occur when you host using Dream Daemon, or just with Dream Seeker?

There was another recent thread reporting an unexpected close and it turned out to be related to the user being in a 16-bit graphics mode. If this only happens with Dream Seeker for you, that could be a potential culprit so check your video settings. If it does not happen in 24- or 32-bit mode, then 16-bit color is the smoking gun.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Ok tried changing the bit rate and hosting and it still closes down. An seeker closes down daemon doesnt seem to close.
In response to Ac19189
Ac19189 wrote:
Ok tried changing the bit rate and hosting and it still closes down. An seeker closes down daemon doesnt seem to close.

That would most likely point to a bug in Dream Seeker, then. You can confirm by trying to join the game while hosting it in Dream Maker. If DS still closes but DD stays up, there's your answer.

If this is a bug, it could be happening just for your specific game and/or your specific computer. The best thing would be to test with other games and other computers (e.g., see if other people can successfully join a session you host in Dream Daemon). Once you have more info, post in BYOND Bugs on the developer forums and I can take a look.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Well I didnt change anything but now out of the blue it works again after i allowed a DLL in the system32 folder to run. *shrugs*
Must have been a DLL I needed to host games on byond but that seems kind of odd because I could load games but when I closed a game they closed normal but they didnt recompile the world files and if I tried to host it just close.