ID:293555

BYOND Build Number: 439.1015
Operating System: Ubuntu 8.04
Video/Graphics Card: ATI HD3200
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type: Broadband 8mbit
Firewalls/Routers: Router

Problem Description: I have downloaded the zip for linux containing beyond files, followed the steps, when in terminal and using DreamDownload, it downloads til 100%. Normally I have ¨pola@pola-ubuntu:~$¨ after each command, after DreamDownload finishes it is blank, I am unable to use terminal anymore. I also note that although it claims 100% downloaded using ¨locate file.zip¨ doesńt find anything in the system...

I am not very experienced in the technical side of linux, I am guessing it has something to do with write permissions perhaps? I am at a loss as to whats happening with the terminal ceasing to work though.

The linux help for byond seems to be rather limited, Ie followed it as best I can. I have taken .dmb files from my windows machine and placed them in the byond folder eg byond/filename/filename.dmb, when using DreamDaemon filename -safe it tells me that its a badworld.

I am stumped as to how I am supposed to get the host files for byond games and host them....can anyone help me?

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Open Terminal
cd to byond directory
type make here
type source [path to byondsetup]
A)type DreamDownload [byond url here]
100% Terminal now gives blank lines, typing commands does nothing

B)type DreamDaemon filename -safe
random port is chosen
byond reports bad world, files was copied from windows machines documents/byond/myhub/game directory (I took a dmb and rsc file, placed them in a folder in the byond folder with the same name as the dmb file.)
Google doesńt give much results but using the forum search here provides alot of results...something I should have done a while ago I suppose, bit of a pain to go through one by one at a time, is there a way to view all posts to a topic/thread on this site? Like a regular forum displays..

So far I´ve learnt to host I need to give the full path to the file which I don´t remember reading in the readme.txt..

Will continue searching through the search results on here, but if anyone knows why I can´t download with DreamDownload could you please inform me how? I´m guessing its OS related and that I need to change something to have the file stored after downloaded. And if anyone knows why my terminal dies like described in my first post after using DreamDownload or if theres also a way to fix that please let me know :]
In response to Polarathene
You should see the three choices "Thread View | Message View | Topic View" on the forum. I would guess that you want to pick Thread View ;)
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
You should see the three choices "Thread View | Message View | Topic View" on the forum. I would guess that you want to pick Thread View ;)

Did not see theres til I clicked preferences lol, thankyou that helped. I have gone through all the search results and not found answers to remaining questions.

I also note that when hosting a world that I get the same result in terminal as I did with DreamDownload, after reporting hosting the world was a success my terminal lines afterwards are blank with no response to commands...
In response to Polarathene
I would also like to know if theres a way to get any information on the hosted world like in windows? Is it possible to perform daemon commands in the terminal such as kick and ban?

How do you close the world? Just close the terminal? Curious..
Alright, well I dont know why locate or searching via gui didńt find the .dmb file that it was downloading. But from browsing around more I found it was storing the downloaded file using DreamDownload to home/username/.byond/MyHub

Dont know alot about port forwarding but for one reason or another I cannot use the one I had set for my windows machine, perhaps because it was on at the same time I dont know.

I let DreamDaemon pick a random port that hosted succesffully and then allowed the port in my router so players could connect :]

Still interested in learning how to use the terminal after DreamDownload or DreamDaemon has been used though. Hope my posts help anyone else who got lost and confused like I did :]

EDIT:Would also be neat to have host detection, logging in via wine or a windows machine(haveńt tried vm yet) I am not detected as the host meaning no moderator powers for the game I host. I hope byond progresses more on the linux side..Learnt how to ban but not kick, if the user is on the server I cannot remove them unless I ban and restart the entire server...not very fair on other users.