ID:293570

BYOND Build Number:437.1013
Operating System:windows vista home basic
Video/Graphics Card:intel(R)82945g Express chipset controller 0
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type:charter ...cable
Firewalls/Routers:off and byond is allowed through but i still have it off

Problem Description:when i click my byond on my desktop nothing happens it does seem as if it is loading for about .2 seconds....i then tryed to right click and run program and such ...nothing is working i defragmented my computer and cleaned it out and did a registry clean idk whats wrong with it

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Please uninstall BYOND, afterwards follow the steps in this article, but instead of erasing only the cache folder, delete the complete BYOND folder.

Then reboot.
Reinstall BYOND and try again, but make sure that you keep an open eye for error messages during the installation process.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
alright but first off my app data wasnt in %appdata% and i found that its windows vista home basic
In response to Dareacharound
this is my lil brother im tryin to help....he dosnet know how to work this stuff but his computer has the byond folder and such in his program files
okay i deleted cache fould and it didnt do anything....then i uninstalled it and i went and download the file to application data and it still dosent work still
Dareacharound wrote:
alright but first off my app data wasnt in %appdata% and i found that its windows vista home basic

Do you mean that your computer does not have a separate Application Data Folder?
Or did you mean that yo found BYOND somewhere else?
It seems you did not follow my advice though, since I said to only search the folder after you had uninstalled BYOND, because BYOND normally has two independent folders on your system.
This is essential information. It might hint at something having gone wrong during the installation process.

Dareacharound wrote:
his computer has the byond folder and such in his program files

This should likely be the case, if you have not uninstalled BYOND. As there are normaly two BYOND folders, one in your Application Data and one wherever you did choose to install.

Dareacharound wrote:
okay i deleted cache fould and it didnt do anything....then i uninstalled it and i went and download the file to application data and it still dosent work still

According to what you just described, you did completely mix up my instructions.

I said:
  • Uninstall BYOND (using the uninst.exe that you should find in the folder that you choose to install BYOND)
  • Afterwards, search the remaining BYOND folder in your Application Data
  • Instead of what the article I linked you to said, remove the complete folder
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall BYOND and take care to look out for errors during the installation

What you seem to have done:
  • Delete the cache folder
  • Uninstalled BYOND afterwards
  • Downloaded BYOND to the application data, where it should not be

I think you can see a serious different in the steps and thus a different outcome is to be expected.
no i deleted that cach folder then i uninstalled it and delted the byond from my computer totally...then i download it again it its in my programs...not my application data
I am sorry, but I can only go by the information that you hand me on the forum, since I can not access your computer, so I fear you'll have to be precise.

Please try to follow the steps I included in my posting from top to down in the exact order, make sure that there is no folder called BYOND left anywhere on your hard disk.
Upon reinstalling, please pay attention to any error messages.
When you are then clicking the desktop link, what exactly happens?
Does the task manager show byond.exe as a running process?
yea i did delete everything on my hardisk with byond or anything to do with it ....and i went to search and there was a few things i deleted then i rebooted and reinstalled it...when i click it seems to load but like not even a full second then it stops and nothing happens but im not sure if it is running on my task manager....i will check and get back with u after this memtest im doin on it
i did your steps over again to make sure i didnt mess up and it didnt work and it is sayings...and yea its not running in my task manager
Just to make sure, you can execute other programs just fine, right?
And there are two BYOND folders now after installing, one in application data and the other in your program files?
What happens when you try to start the byond.exe directly in the bin folder?
it does the same thing as if i was clicking the desktop....and thats very wierd there seems to only be a byond file in my programs....its not in my application data
Try to create a folder called "BYOND" in your application data folder and then try again.
But the fact that there is no such folder would hint at there having been problems during installation.
Did you install on an administrative account?
Are you sure that there was no error message during installation?

Edit:
And you did not answer whether or not you could execute other desktop linked files just fine.
yes everything else works just find on my desktop its just byond...and there was no error message when downloading it i payed close attention...how do i creat a new folder in my application data...and what is administrative acc
You might want to ask someone who's at least partly familiar with computers to operate this for you, as you lack information on how to create a folder.
okay i created a new folder in app data called BYOND but it still dosent work then i tryed to copy the folder to app data so now i have two byond folders 1 in app data and the other in program files
You should not just copy folders to somewhere else, especially not application data, since programs are bound to rely on the information they find there.

I am out of ideas on what could have been wrong, without a local session on your computer.
so what should i do now