ID:293597

I can't recognize it. Is it C/C++? or something I haven't heard of? Is this language unique ONLY to byond games?
Yes, the language is unique to BYOND, but it's an object oriented, interpreted language, which closely resembles to C++, Java and PHP.
You can read more about it in the guide, or have a short look at the syntax in the reference.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Thanks Schnitzelnagler!

I'm a student studying C/C++ language and Java...and maybe later on PHP. I thought Byond would be a good way for me to practice learning to code but I was hoping that it wouldn't be like C++ I hoped that it was be C++

Now I'm not so sure that the code I learn to do by makign Byond games would be useful anywhere else outside the byond language.

It might give me a background, a starting point, a feel for what it is like to code but I'm worried the time I spend to learn byond code would all be for nothing if I can't use it anywhere else.
In response to FoxDen
I certainly can't influence you on that decision, since I don't know much about you anyway, but most people find themselves having an easier time learning BYOND's "DM", than learning Java and especially C++, because BYOND was designed to grant "fast visual success" and thus keep the user motivated.
If you see BYOND as means to save time, I don't think it would be worth the effort, though I could be wrong.
But if you learn BYOND in your spare time, the step from there to PHP, Java and C++ has lost a lot of it's trouble.
Be it object oriented programming, or bitwise arithmetic, be it logic program flow, or structuring code, the terminology will slightly differ, but the general idea behind it, stays very much the same.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Thanks, I think I will learn Byond "DM" so I can get the basic understanding of coding and to start adding programs to my portfolio for the future.
In response to FoxDen
FoxDen wrote:
Now I'm not so sure that the code I learn to do by makign Byond games would be useful anywhere else outside the byond language.

It might give me a background, a starting point, a feel for what it is like to code but I'm worried the time I spend to learn byond code would all be for nothing if I can't use it anywhere else.

In terms of learning basic programming concepts in an event-driven language, BYOND is a pretty good starting place.

If you're looking to learn C++ and Java, I would probably start with C++. Java is in some ways simpler at the core, but its designers have are enamored of overly complex design patterns and packages that are hard to understand. C++ on the other hand will give you a pretty good foundation for understanding how languages work in general, and learning to be careful with pointers is really a critical lesson.

Lummox JR