ID:293608

BYOND Build Number: 440.1016
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Internet Connection Type: DSL

Problem Description: I can use BYOND just fine, but when I connect to, well, anything, it freezes at "connecting to world" but instead of a simple freeze of BYOND, it freezes the entire computer and I have to reboot as absolutely nothing works. I cleared the cache (both by the BYOND command and manually) and CFG file (by renaming it) but it persists.
What is your graphics setting for BYOND?
(Preferences... -> games->hardware selected?)

What colour depth is your driver using, 16,24,32,64 bit?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Hardware is selected, yes.

I'm pretty sure my color depth is 32 bit.
In response to Enver Zogha
Could you try with hardware deselected?
And please check on your colour depth, just to be sure.
32 bit.

I turned off the hardware thing, but it still freezes.

I actually noticed that it freezes my entire computer at the "opening/launching dream seeker" phase, not the "connecting to world" phase.
what is the hardware???? because before i was able to use byond alot. but now wen i click join a game it goes to the blue screen and says lauching dream seeker and it stops there.please help me
In response to Ninetailfox200
You should create a new thread and use the template to provide essential information.
Does that apply only for joining games on-line, while you can download and play games, or do they cause you issues as well?
It seems that I can't even download the games, I just try to connect and entire computer freezes at the opening Dream Seeker phase.
Enver Zogha wrote:
It seems that I can't even download the games, I just try to connect and entire computer freezes at the opening Dream Seeker phase.

Depending on your computers age, it's possible Vista is too much for it too handle, but based on your graphics card I'd say that's probably not true.

How much ram does your computer have and can you run any non-BYOND related games?
In response to Tiberath
I can run games like Grand Theft Auto IV and Team Fortress 2, so that isn't an issue. I have 2.00 GB of RAM.
Enver Zogha wrote:
I can run games like Grand Theft Auto IV and Team Fortress 2, so that isn't an issue. I have 2.00 GB of RAM.

Probably a pointless question, but I've really got nothing except straws, and they're hard to grasp.

Have you simply tried reinstalling the program? I didn't see re-installation mentioned anywhere, so with any luck, it's just a messed up registry value on installation, but it's a biiiig stretch.

So if you haven't, give re-installation a shot.
In response to Tiberath
I have reinstalled, but it persists.
I think we can probably rule out your video card as the culprit, especially if you've tried playing with hardware rendering turned off.

What about your OS? Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit flavor of Vista? If the latter, try running in 32-bit compatibility mode to see if that helps.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
32-bit.
Pointless to this topic but, I still use byond and other games like you and my desktop is over 6 years old its a Dell Xp.It works perfectly.