ID:293639

i need help with my login, everytime i go to log in it says

cannot read key file or wateva. anyway, i asked for help from support they said i need to rename key.txt file and i couldnt find it on my computer. so now wat the hek do i do. dont tell me to re install byond cus ive already tried that 4 times!!!!. anyway heres the link for the screnshot of my problem

http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/ RolinRuff/?action=view¤t=untitled-1.jpg
Greetings Rolin_ruff.

You haven't provided enough information/ignored the forum template and as a result of this, we are unable to help you. In order to be of any real assistance, we need to know as much detailed information about your computer as possible.
Please consult All about the BYOND Help Forum if you are unsure on how to fill out any of the template fields.

Once you are sure you have enough information, please reply to this post with all the information you can. From there, we'll see if we'll be able to help you solve your problem.

Yours sincerely,
Schnitzelnagler.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
dude wat the hell, coarse i supplied enuf info i provided a bloody screenshot. why dont u look at it first. theres no other info i can provide. people like you just waste my dam time. idk wat the hek is wrong with byond.
In response to RolinRuf
Please remain calm, there is no need or use in you insulting those that on trying to help you.
I can not see what operating system you are using on that screenshoot, thus I can not tell you exactly how or where you would have to go looking for the key.txt file.
I can not see the BYOND version number either and thus can only guess about specific bugs to some of the versions that might cause trouble.

I assure you, I did look at the screenshoot, however, the template with questions is not meant to annoy anyone, but to gather essential information to effectively help.
So, it is does the opposite of what you say, save time, instead of wasting it, for both of us.
In response to RolinRuf
RolinRuf wrote:
dude wat the hell, coarse i supplied enuf info i provided a bloody screenshot

No, you did not provide enough information.

Your screenshot tells me you have... Windows XP. It doesn't tell us what service pack you have, what BYOND version you have and any other information we may need. So once again, please go back and do as Schnitzelnagler has asked.

why dont u look at it first. theres no other info i can provide. people like you just waste my dam time. idk wat the hek is wrong with byond.

Please note that the users of BYOND Help are volunteers, we don't get paid for our work and as such, we don't have to put up with attitude. You do nothing more than hinder the help process by giving lip to people who are trying to help you.

Consider this a warning, that kind of behaviour is not tolerated around here, regardless of how frustrated you might be because of your problem.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Your screenshot tells me you have... Windows XP.

Uh, now you got me curious.
Where did you spot that this is indeed Windows XP running?
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Tiberath wrote:
Your screenshot tells me you have... Windows XP.

Uh, now you got me curious.
Where did you spot that this is indeed Windows XP running?

The silver skin is very common on Windows XP (as it's one of the three defaults). That's the first clue.

The second is the start bar itself. The start bar in Vista doesn't contain the word "Start", it only has the windows logo.

Standard Vista

Nothing pre-XP, to my knowledge, had a layout like that, and nothing Post XP, had a skin that resembles that. Granted there might be a custom one out there somewhere, but chances of that being in effect here are slim. As most people will often go for something flashy when they're skinning their OS.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
(...)Granted there might be a custom one out there somewhere, but chances of that being in effect here are slim.

Last time I trusted chances, I spent about a dozen postings trying to figure out why I could not help someone, only to realise my assumption was wrong in the very beginning and I could have helped him right away, would he have been clear, or would I not have assumed that ;)
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Tiberath wrote:
(...)Granted there might be a custom one out there somewhere, but chances of that being in effect here are slim.

Last time I trusted chances, I spent about a dozen postings trying to figure out why I could not help someone, only to realise my assumption was wrong in the very beginning and I could have helped him right away, would he have been clear, or would I not have assumed that ;)

Trust me, some very careful deductions were made. I'll be happy to share to you why I'm sure of my assumption is correct via pager.