ID:293661

Operating System: Windows XP
Firewalls/Routers: Set BYOND as an exception to them

Problem Description: Anyways, I've been trying to play a couple games. Duel Monsters Unlimited by UnknownDuelist as well as Naruto Reincarnation 3 by SumeAkatsukiLeader. Anyways the problem seems to be shared among alot of games I go on. On NR3 when I press 'New' to create a new character there is no popup asking for the name I'd like or anything it just takes me to the clan screen. If I click a clan, yet again no popup. The same goes for Duel Monsters Unlimited whenever I tried to edit a deck etc.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: Can't quite say I guess because I don't know how I got in this mess, and please dont suggest re-installing BYOND, I've tried.
From the symptoms that you're describing, I would guess that input() and alert() fail to work for you.
It seems as if you suffer from the same problem described here.
Lummox JR replied with a detailed analysis and further instructions.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
This was very good to read and I would like to thank you for leading me to such good information, but sad to say problem not solved.

Virus Factor - None. Used several Virus checkers AVG, Norton, NOD32

Spyware/Malware - None. Used SuperANTI Spyware

Drivers- I ran dxdiag.exe to check my DirectX drivers, 'No problems found' Are there any other drivers I should check, and if so how?

Hardware - Don't see how to check this. The monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers are all fine. Or at least I would like to think so.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

-Sprite
In response to Sprite07
Hmm, maybe I was wrong on the chore of the problem.
Are you familiar enough with BYOND's programming language for me to hand you a little source code and you to test it out (as I see our time zones differ too much for us to meet)?

Considering your hardware, you might want to run a check on your hard drive and your RAM (scandisk/memtest like).
Depending on your knowledge, a quick look through the registry might prove beneficial as well.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Hmm, maybe I was wrong on the chore of the problem.
Are you familiar enough with BYOND's programming language for me to hand you a little source code and you to test it out (as I see our time zones differ too much for us to meet)?

Considering your hardware, you might want to run a check on your hard drive and your RAM (scandisk/memtest like).
Depending on your knowledge, a quick look through the registry might prove beneficial as well.

- Well, yes I am quite familiar with BYOND's programming language, I code around. So feel free to send me the code, I will see what I learn about the problem from it. And I don't see what you mean by "(scandisk/memtest like)". Are you referring me to the name of programs that check for hardware errors? I used Registry Heal to fix up any problems in the register. I will take a look at the code.
In response to Sprite07
mob
verb
Test()
world << "Testing input dialog...\..."
var/t = input("This is a test", "Test")
world << "done. The test is [t ? "successful" : "a failure"]."
world << "Testing alert dialog...\..."
t = alert("Please click \"Ok\"", "Test", "Ok", "Cancel")
world << "done. The test is [t ? "successful" : "a failure"]."

Yes, both scandisk and memtest are names of programs that are generally referred to in order to test HDD and RAM integrity.
Ran the code:
Testing input dialog...done. The test is successful.
Testing alert dialog...done. The test is successful.

And I've also ruled out the hardware error as well now. So anymore suggestions or is it a lost cause?
In response to Sprite07
Did you receive pop ups when running the Test Verb?
Yep, so I guess my alert() is fine then. Right?
In response to Sprite07
If you received two pop ups during the test, indeed, both alert and input should work fine for you.
But, now I'm not exactly sure where you suffered problems in these games you mentioned.
Could you provide a screenshoot of where you're struggling (and maybe even how it should look like for another player)?
Sorry for my the time taken I took to reply. Sadly I cannot get any screenshots of how the screen should look for another player. Perhaps you could go on the game and see for yourself if it could help. I will try to describe what it should look like to the best of my ability.

As for the screenshots:
bg sc3

When I click 'New' as seen above. An alert doesn't pop up asking for my name as it should have done. However,my x,y and z variables do change to bring me towards the next screen. And that screen looks like:

bug sc

Sadly, when I click 'Hatake' to pick my clan, nothing happens and I am stuck there.I hope this information helps you in helping me. So frustrating not being able to play anything on BYOND.

In response to Sprite07
I'm sorry, now I'm puzzled.
How could you get the input in my testing environment, but not in that game?
I ran the code again to ensure I wasn't mistaken.
Testing input dialog...done. The test is successful.
Testing alert dialog...done. The test is successful.

I also just confused myself. After my last post I tried a server of Mystic Journey and the Character Creation process went fine. The same happened when I tried a bleach game, success. I have no clue... maybe its something wrong with Naruto Reincarnation then.
In response to Sprite07
I'd guess that as well. Maybe you should report your problem to them (with reference to this thread).
I logged in there and got a prompt to enter my name, but I did it on a membership account. If it's not for that, I'm stunned.
Well thank you very much for your help. I suppose its just one game, I will live without it. I am just glad to know that at least I can play something.
In response to Sprite07
I'm glad that/if I could help.
I still think that if you point the developers of that game to this thread they might be grateful and could possibly fix something that's going wrong ;)
I will inform the developer of the game. I also have another problem. In Duel Monsters Unlimited whenever I play my HUD at the bottom doesn't appear. I ran the game in single player mode and got this:

runtime error: type mismatch: "21" - 7
proc name: MakeHUD (/mob/proc/MakeHUD)
source file: Login.dm,335
usr: Sprite (/mob)
src: Sprite (/mob)
call stack:
Sprite (/mob): MakeHUD()
Sprite (/mob): LogIn()
Duel Monsters Unlimited - Clic... (/obj/logging/LoginScreen): Click( (9,11,1) (/turf), "mapwindow.map1", "icon-x=16;icon-y=14;left=1;scr...")

I don't know if you can help. Can you?
In response to Sprite07
Nope, that's something only the owner of that game can fix (if someone tells her/him *hints* ;))
Thank you for your patience and assistance. I guess this will be my last post on the topic. Case Closed. Once more, thank you.
In response to Sprite07
You're welcome and don't worry, I'm glad if I can help.
There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, as they say.