ID:293671

BYOND Build Number:4.0 public
version 440.1018

Operating System: Windows vista home premium service pack 1

Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce go 6150

Game Hub/Link:space station 13, and other random games ive tried, all black

Internet Connection Type:IE7, wireless broadband and connection through router

Firewalls/Routers: linksys router, firewalls: windows fire wall and norton firewall

Problem Description: the world/map screen (the one with pictures and images not chat) is black. not just the screen even things like the HUD are missing even when it says icons are genratred. i can still move and do actions but cant see anything. resarting doesnt work, redownloading doesnt work....happened during space station 13 game at respawn, nothing occured but my waiting for the game to start.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: unknown
Please try the steps provided here.
If that does not help:
  • Under File->Preferences->Games, is hardware acceleration selected?
  • Is the problem consistent through all games, or just with some?
  • What colour depth is your OS running on (16,24,32,64 bit)?
  • Did you check for malicious software on your system (e.g. a Virus)?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
yes hardware acceleration is on

all games that i have tried have had this

32-bit

yes i have norton antivirus checking every day, if anything was there it would be gone.

remember this happened during a resart and none of the games are working and reinstalling doesnt work. either my computer or the website has changed somehow
In response to Micro102
Did you follow through all the instructions in the link (both cache and cfg folder)?
Did that change anything?
there are a lot of links...plz be more descriptive
In response to Micro102
Schnitzelnagler wrote:

Uh? There is just one single link in that text of mine?
[The "here" is a link!]
i could have sworn i looked at your previous posts for links.....odd

and no it didint work, and i really thought it was going to too

i dont get it even completly wiping my computer of beyond and remaking it didint work. not my account either, i tried palying as guest. how can it just quit like this???????

In response to Micro102
Micro102 wrote:
(...) even completly wiping my computer of beyond and remaking it didint work

That is no wonder, since uninstalling does not remove the filed of your "My Applications" folder.
So, you made sure to find both the cache and cfg folder, right?
Would you please have a look for the skin folder as well and approach it the same way you did with the cfg one?
no.....deleting cgf and skin folders dont to it either.

wtf is going on
In response to Micro102
Is it only games that you are hosting, or games that you join as well?
And if it's games you are hosting, does everyone experience the same trouble?
i only join games, i dont even know how to host lol

only joining....is there anyhting other then join or host?
In response to Micro102
Would you please try to disable hardware acceleration?
Thank you in advance.
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you, and can you explain why i suddenly had to turn it off like that?

also by hardware acceleration, did you mean "Use graphics hardware for displaying maps"?
In response to Micro102
You are welcome and I'm glad that I could help, even more as I slowly started running out of ideas on what could have gone wrong *grins*.
If you're asking me which part of the communication suddenly stopped working, no, I could not explain that (even more since I have never touched BYOND's source code).
It is however known that sometimes Vista and NVIDA suffer problems with BYOND, especially in hardware accelerated mode.
For more information on the topic, I fear you'll have to ask Lummox JR or Tom directly.
Operating System: windows vista service pack 1
Website Browser and Build Number:IE7, 440.1018
URL/Link to problem page(s):

Problem Description: i am shown as a guest on games when a have an account, this was after i deleted my cache,cfg,and skin folders

Steps to Reproduce Problem:unknown
In response to Micro102
I see no need to open a new thread, even less on BYOND Website problems, since it's a software issue, but to the problem at hand...
BYOND should automatically create these anew, so it shows that you have a core problem connecting and retrieving account information (or storing and reading from there).
As the article which you used explicitly asked you to create security copies, what happens if you move these back (assuming BYOND did not create new folders)?
my account is connected to the website, therefore i think its an appropriate place to post this

you lost me at article, i was told to delete the cfg,skins,cache, ect. folders to solve another problem...
In response to Micro102
It is a problem with your software though.
Anyway, what you have been told is:

Schnitzelnagler wrote:

In this article, there is clear advice on moving the cfg folder and renaming it to cfg_old, NOT to delete it.
In response to Micro102
Micro102 wrote:
my account is connected to the website, therefore i think its an appropriate place to post this

No it isn't. The problem is happening in the software--once you're on the BYOND pager and using it to join a game. Posting in the appropriate place makes it easier for people to help you, and also the correct forums are set up to ask you the information that's relevant to them, like details about your computer and such that don't apply to the website.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
ok, now that i know how to make a cfg folder, how do i get my account to say Micro102 instead of guest again?
Page: 1 2 3