ID:293685

BYOND Build Number: 440.1018
Operating System: Windows XP/SP2
Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type: TimeWarner 10mb/s Cable
Firewalls/Routers: Router's FireWall/Windows FireWall is OFF/I do not use any extra FireWalls.

Problem Description:
I used to play BYOND back when BYOND was BETA 3, and I uninstalled for a while. I reinstalled, and I haven't been able to connect to the HUB. I have already tried these steps http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_post&post=29715 , and it did not help. I can use the internet, and log into my account on the byond site, but when I try logging into BYOND itself, it will not work.(I get the error message on the picture below.)

(I took this picture from another user because I was too lazy to upload my own.)
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7774/semttulovdj.png

Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Are you familiar enough with the Windows Registry to look up BYOND related entries?
What was the name of the folder you found in your application data?
Please look up your settings at File->Preferences->Advanced.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Are you familiar enough with the Windows Registry to look up BYOND related entries?
What was the name of the folder you found in your application data?
Please look up your settings at File->Preferences->Advanced.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->Applications ->byond.exe:
Name: (Default)
Type: REG_SZ
Data: (Value not set)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->byond:
Data: URL:BYOND protocol
Name: URL protocol
Data:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->byond->De faultIcon:
Data: C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin\byond.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->byond->sh ell:
Data:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->byond->sh ell->open:
Data:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Classes->byond->sh ell->open->command:
Data: C:\Program Files\BYOND\bin\byond.exe "%1"
There is a TON of entries relating to BYOND/DreamSeeker ETC., I don't really want to waste the time posting everything related. Could you be more specific in what you want in my reg?
2. I did not find any folders in my application data, and I read this http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_post&post=29715 so I added a "cfg" folder, and a "cache" folder to my current BYOND folder.
Hub Address: xbadassx
Pager Port: 9991
User Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\?????\My Documents\BYOND\

Do you think it could be my router's built in firewall blocking BYOND'S packets coming into my computer? If so, what ports do I need to forward so packets can go back and forth.
In response to XBadassX
Is there anything in your registry pointing to the former BYOND build that you used?

Did you try with and without the port set in the preferences?

Hmm, do you mean the folder that contains your BYOND program files (bin and the like) with "current BYOND folder"?
If that's the case, no, that's not where it would belong.

This is the folder you should be looking up for cache and cfg:
C:\Documents and Settings\?????\My Documents\BYOND\ (guessing you replaced your userid by ???? ;))

Yes, your routers firewall might interfere.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Is there anything in your registry pointing to the former BYOND build that you used?

Did you try with and without the port set in the preferences?

Hmm, do you mean the folder that contains your BYOND program files (bin and the like) with "current BYOND folder"?
If that's the case, no, that's not where it would belong.

This is the folder you should be looking up for cache and cfg:
C:\Documents and Settings\?????\My Documents\BYOND\ (guessing you replaced your userid by ???? ;))

Yes, your routers firewall might interfere.

1. I reformatted my computer before the installation the new build(440.1018).
So there shouldnt be any information on the older version of BYOND.

2.Yes

3. C:\Documents and Settings\?????\My Documents\BYOND\ is where I placed for cfg and the cache. It was never in the same folder as the bin.

4. Which ports should I forward for my router?
In response to XBadassX
If nothing else is running on the port, then the one you had selected in the preferences on BYOND looks fine.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
If nothing else is running on the port, then the one you had selected in the preferences on BYOND looks fine.

I thought so too, but it's still getting blocked somehow.

Just to make sure that wasn't the problem, I opened the ports 10001,10002,1337,10009,2222,666,6111,6090,2958(All chosen randomly by button-mashing my keyboard LOL) and tested them all in BYOND. Just to be 100% sure none of them are the ports used, and that isn't the problem.
In response to XBadassX
I'm running out of ideas now.
I'll have to discuss this with others.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
I really think my router is the problem, but if I can't play BYOND soon I am planning switching this computer to DMZ just so I can get a few hours of BYOND in. I know all the security risks.

Edit: Although I'm not really sure my router is the problem. Won't know if itll work even if I switch to DMZ.
In response to XBadassX
I was wondering if anyone was still trying to find a solution to my problem because I have tried, and tried, but I still can't seem to connect to BYOND.
In response to XBadassX
I will try to post again and see if I can draw some attention to this.