ID:293705

Hello, is there any way that you can use two keys active for two different characters on one computer within the same game? I know that was allowed in the past, but not sure if it's still possible to do it now with the newer version of Byond. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
This is a 'game to game' decision completely in the 'owners' hand.

Personally, I consider it a flow of game design, because if a game wants you to take control over two characters, it would be easy enough to do this through programming (you don't open two games of an RPG where you are supposed to be using a group of X people either, just as an example).
A soft-coded solution would always look and feel cleaner, not to mention the additional benefit of customisation it provides.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Hi, thank you for the reply.

What you say makes sense, but I was referring more toward the software of Byond more than the programming. To be a bit clearer, there is a game I am playing where people are using alternate characters by logging in at the same time with two different keys. It is accepted to do it in the game. I don't know if they are doing it on two seperate computers or not, because Dream Seeker doesn't seem to allow two windows to be open and running at the same time for me. So I was wondering if it was even possible to run two instances from the same computer. I guess it's more of a software question than a programming question. Hope that makes more sense.
In response to Americane23
Open the Pager (run the BYOND.exe), then log in on one key.
Join the game and select File->Logout on the pager, while keeping the game running.
Then log into the other key and join the game again.
This is going to log you on as two different keys.
I still consider it bad for the game and BYOND in general though and thus don't do it myself, even through that is a large hindrance on some games like FF THG.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware it was actually detrimental. Thanks for the input, however, that was exactly what I was curious about.