ID:293816

I've heard that byond can be ran on a virtual private server(VPS), but I've yet to run into any sources of how to get started, what to expect, or anything of that matter, because that stuff is pretty foreign to me. Maybe I just don't know where to look, but google even failed to find the info...except this post.

It'll be nice to have a help guild that takes you steps into the basics of getting it started. I sure need it. =1
That would actually be pretty tough, since it would depend on the VPS, the service/administrative options and the operating system you are to encounter.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
I would start with something common and well know that you will first encounter with all VPS.

But to be specific for my needs (and many other also that needs a vps) on the side, I'm going for a cheap vps, and work my way to the top one if all goes well. Specifically I'm looking at vpswow.com OpenVZ VPS for ones that goes from $5 to $20 per month (aside:but I'm weary about the late charges they said in the TOS.) So from there for one that does know how to run a vps, what do I really need and how to set it up from that point.

BTW: I notice this went to general. You have to HAVE something for it to be in help guild does it? I apologize if I misunderstood.
In response to ZephyreSyx
ZephyreSyx wrote:
I would start with something common and well know that you will first encounter with all VPS.

That would be paying.
Quite frankly, that is about the only thing I could imagine being 'common'.
Like if you are told to write a description of how to use a computer, because exactly that is a VPS, an emulated computer.

ZephyreSyx wrote:
So from there for one that does know how to run a vps, what do I really need and how to set it up from that point.

BTW: I notice this went to general. You have to HAVE something for it to be in help guild does it? I apologize if I misunderstood.

If you ask me, I would go with offers that are specifically adjusted towards BYOND, or offers that others on BYOND use, so you can get advice.
If you have taken a look at the offer you are talking about, you will see that for your first 5$ one, you get LXAdmin free, or DirectAdmin for a fee. Later on you can even get CPanel. So, how you are using these differs on what you are using (like it would be different if you use Ubuntu or Windows 7).
This is exactly the reason that there is no guide.
Other offers have a huge variety of administration software.

As to prevent you from asking what offers other people on BYOND are using, please do not see this as advertisement of any sort. I do not get benefits for listing any of them, though, I wish I would, as often as I do ;)

Airjoe's ATP opened service just recently on the basic idea behind digitalBYOND, whereas Farawayhost and Zen Enterprise hosting have been in the buisness for a bit longer.
People like Tiberath would recommend Slicehost (using Tiberath referral here).