ID:293864

BYOND Build Number: BYOND 454.1036
Operating System: Vista Premium
Video/Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260
Game Hub/Link: BYOND Tabletop Gaming
Internet Connection Type: Wireless DSL (DSL service sent via antennae mounted on roof)
Firewalls/Routers: Linksys WRT54GS router, hooked up by ethernet cable. Another *possible* firewall may be Avast! anti virus, but I think that's a rather large stretch as I've been hosting many games with and without BYOND without a problem before.

Problem Description:
I can't seem to host any games at all! I've tried a good amount of different ports and they all seem to fail--even while in DMZ mode! I currently have DMZ mode disabled with my game hosting port (5750) being port-forwarded with a non-static IP address. I would've gone ahead and made my IP address static, but apparently my ISP prohibits it as they've programmed my router in such a meticulous manner that my internet would stop working altogether if I tampered with it.

To elaborate a little bit more on my connection's background, I had a little problem not being able to connect to any ventrilo servers a while back. They fixed this rather easily by disabling NAT (?), and I wonder if this could affect BYOND in turn by doing this.

I've also had a talk with my network administrator and he firmly assures me that there are no ports blocked on their end.

Here's the full error report whenever I try to host games through Dream Daemon:

Logging in...connected Logged in as Shader. Mon Aug 24 23:36:30 2009 World opened on network port 5750. Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Public Version 454.1036) BYOND hub reports port 5750 cannot be reached by players. A firewall or router may be interfering with your connection. For information on hosting worlds through a firewall or router, please visit BYOND Help or portforward.com.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Enabling DMZ mode with matched IP address.
Disabled Avast! Antivirus.
Rebooted several times.
Port forwarded 5750 with matched IP address.
You said 'another possible firewall', but never mentioned a first one.
May I assume that the standard Windows Vista Firewall is active?
You might have had trouble because of version checking, after updating BYOND, some firewalls decide that the new version is not the same as the old one and requires an extra 'good to go' setting (or, most people simply decide to turn version/hash checking off).
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Heya; thanks for replying so soon!

And the other "possible firewall" I was referring to was the antivirus program: Avast! Antivirus. Alot of people seem to have the frame of thought that, while not potentially being a firewall in itself, it behaves essentially like a firewall by scanning files as they come into your system.

Vista firewall is disabled.

EDIT: After some "extensive research" I've found out that this problem not only persist in BYOND, but also in Starcraft. Whenever I attempt to host a game nobody is able to join it; which leads me to believe even more this is a port-forwarding issue. Even though I'm currently in DMZ-mode.... arrggghhhh!
In response to Shader
Shader wrote:
(...)the other "possible firewall" I was referring to was the antivirus program: Avast! Antivirus.

Yes, I got the "Avast part", but not the "other" one.
If Avast is the second, what is the first?

Shader wrote:
not only persist in BYOND, but also in Starcraft

Yes. When two completely independent programs return the same result, it is likely an issue with either your ISP, your port forwarding setup, or any program on your computer that might restrict communication (e.g. a firewall).

I'm stunned though, since you said you were able to host before. May I ask what exactly changed/happened?
I did not really get that in your first posting.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Sorry; it must've been bad wording on my part. The so-called firewall I was talking about would be the Linksys router I have; I do not have any software firewalls installed.

Yes, I was able to host before; but not on this particular connection. I just moved to a pretty rural area, and the only option for broadband internet out here is via antennae. When I was hosting games before I was doing so with an actual DSL or cable internet connection with a completely different ISP. I'm seriously starting to think this problem might be on my ISP's end.
In response to Shader
Do they offer some sort of special tutorial for hosting?
And what exactly did you ask when you called them?