ID:293868

ok, well i started with the MUD guide, because i wanted to start out with something easier. I made it to this section:
V. Arguing with the Mob (Named arguments), and then everything just decided to not work... this is what i have for the MUD, please tell me whats wrong with this one:

mob
verb
say(msg as text) Msg23("You say, '[msg]'","[usr] says, '[msg]'")
usr << "You say, '[msg]'" //the usr gets one message,
oview() << "[usr] says, '[msg]'"//everyone else in view gets another
wave(var/mob/M as mob in oview()) //waves to a mob in oview
Msg223("You wave to [M].",target = M,"[usr] waves to you.","[usr] waves to [M].")
emote(msg as text) //what the usr types is passed in
usr << "Everyone sees:" //the usr sees the first message;
view() << "[usr] [msg]" //the whole room sees the second one

proc
Msg223(second1,target,second2,third)
usr << second1 //outputs first text string to usr
target << second2 //outputs second text string to verb target
for (var/mob/M in oview()) //outputs third to mobs in view() who are neither
if (M != target) M << third
Msg23(second,third) //declares a new proc that takes 2 arguments
usr << second //outputs the first to the usr
oview() << third //outputs the second to oview()

if you copy and past it it looks better...

and then i tried rpg... i made it through most of this really fast due to i knew a lot about the coding of it already... i made it to: IVb. Implementing Graphics (Prototypes), and stuff again... decides not to work... here is what i have

mob
icon = 'person.dmi' //make it so all mobs will be created with the person icon
turf
grass //defines a "grass" prototype, which is a kind of turf...
icon = 'grass.dmi' //and has an icon named 'grass.dmi'. In single quotes!
world //we set one of our world's characteristics:
turf = /turf/grass //its default turf is the grass turf.

verb
say(msg as text)
world << "[usr]: [msg]"

please help me find out what i have wrong... i would greatly appreciate it!
Please do not take this as offence, but as advice.
When you try to program, you need to carefully read and think before taking an action.
Let me give you an example.
Instead of posting in the Developers forum, you posted at BYOND Help and even there in the very wrong subforum, with the description: 'Please post your ideas, suggestions, or issues about the BYOND Help Guild here.'

If you intend to create a game, the first step should be to start here, since this is going to provide you with material to learn the basics of programming (in BYOND).
You have obviously found some of the material already, but you need to follow the instructions carefully, including formating.
Try to have a look at the DM guide (and reference), since these will enlighten you past any tutorial you're working on. But don't 'rush through', like with the RPG tutorial.
Sometimes you will think that you already know something, when you do not yet know all of the interface it comes with.

Whenever you are struggling, a developer should use the Developer forum to seek assistance from like-minded community members.