ID:293928

BYOND Build Number:4.0
Operating System: Vista
Video/Graphics Card: NVidia 8600 GTS
Internet Connection Type: Lan

How do you allow the user to upload a file to the program?

Example:
image = input(usr,"Type in the file name to the image you want","Image")
winset(usr,"mainwindow.label1","image=[image]")//this code is ignored

Unless the image file is in the RSC it cannot be accessed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what image the user might choose and it may not even be on my computer.
I have done this before in Java without any hassle.
How do you do it in Byond?
I am not giving away my source code just to fix this problem so I need a solution that works after compile time.

If you know how to swap files in and out of the RSC that might help too.
If you intend to create a game, the first step should be to start here, since this is going to provide you with material to learn the basics of programming (in BYOND).
Try to have a look at the DM guide (and reference), since these will enlighten you past any tutorial you're working on. But don't 'rush through'(browse), like with a comic.
Sometimes you will think that you already know something, when you do not yet know all of the interface it comes with.

Whenever you are struggling, a developer should use the Developer forum to seek assistance from like-minded community members.

As for your questions at hand, you might find reading up on cache, fcopy_rsc(), ftp() and winset in special correlation with the skin reference interesting.