ID:293959

BYOND Build Number: 454.1036
Operating System: Dell, Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: I know it's up-to-date, because I can operate everything else on BYOND.
Game Hub/Link: byond://192.168.1.7:7 <- to get into the server [if you can], and the hub link -> http://www.byond.com/games/NekoSennin.1?tab=index
Internet Connection Type:
Firewalls/Routers: Netgear CG814WGv2 Router, Motorola SBV5220 SURFboard Cable Modem [just in case it might be needed], Norton Internet Security [if anyone wants to tell me where I can find what year it is, I'd be greatful], Netgear SpySweeper [this is also not really nessesary].
Problem Description: Several people [I know] that play this game [or used to] cannot get on this -one- server. I too, can't get on it. It's not the game in general, but it's literally the one server.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: No steps. It works for some, not for others.
Migurashi wrote:

The steps to reproduce the problem would be essential though, because that helps volunteers to become aware of a specific problem.

How do you connect to the game?
What exactly happens if you try to connect to the game?
If there are messages shown, please include the exact message that is displayed.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Migurashi wrote:

The steps to reproduce the problem would be essential though, because that helps volunteers to become aware of a specific problem.

How do you connect to the game?
What exactly happens if you try to connect to the game?
If there are messages shown, please include the exact message that is displayed.

I connect to all of my games via pager, if I can't get in, I'll check the game's hub. If the game is still up, I'll enter through there. If all else fails, I contact a friend that's in the server or someone who can try and get in to go and contact the host about it if he's online. The difference with this is, I'm friends with the host, and I've been explaining my problems directly to him. He has changed his port excessively, I've port forwarded [I also have some hosting problems, but that can wait for another topic], turned off my firewall [after finding out I had Windows XP, I figured that was the problem, and added Byond.exe, Dreamseeker.exe, dreamdaemon.exe, and generally every Byond file you get from downloading, and I've added the byond files to my "Allowed" zone on Norton Internet Security. The host and I are at a loss, and I've deleted my cache, renamed the cfg files, cleared my cache via pager, and attempted to get in via invitation or have him send the byond link itself via pager. All of this has failed.

It's actually a rather simple message, one that comes up when the server itself is down. "Connecting to Byond://65.31.44.7:7......Failed." No luck in any of the shown ways of entering. I couldn't have been banned because it would show "Connecting to Byond://65.31.44.7:7..." vanish, and Options and Messages would appear and say "Connecting to Byond://65.31.44.7:7...Failed.
Access Denied.
Banned [by Host].", or the game's screen would pop up, and say the same as Options and Messages.
If you'd want to try and reproduce the problem, I'd say simply attempt to log into the server while it's up. Like I said, some people can get in, and some cannot. Chances are, you'll get in, but you never know. If you want to reproduce it in a different way, tell your FireWall not to accept Byond files [not the website]. It'll probably give you an equivilent result.
In response to Migurashi
Migurashi wrote:
I connect to all of my games via pager

Ok, first of all, when you sign in on the pager, is there any sort of message?

Now, could you please try to join Chatters?

Migurashi wrote:
He has changed his port excessively

Did he try to use a port that is not reserved (as that host is currently using TCP port 7, which is reserved for a service called 'Echo').
If you're unaware of reserved ports, 4711 is free (generally you should always use a port above the 'magic number' of 1024).

Migurashi wrote:
"Connecting to Byond://65.31.44.7:7......Failed."

That would either indicate that you are banned, or that you can not reach the remote location.
Unfortunately, the host seems to have disabled ping, else we could test this rather easy.

Migurashi wrote:
I couldn't have been banned because it would show (...)

Actually, no ;)
That would depend on how you handle banning in your game.
You might be astonished on how flexible the solutions BYOND allow are, but you are right, most average BYOND games would show these messages, because the programmers didn't know how to handle banning properly ;)
I trust the host though, when s/he claims that you are not banned.

Migurashi wrote:
If you'd want to try and reproduce the problem, I'd say simply attempt to log into the server while it's up.

I could properly connect to byond://65.31.44.255:7, without any issues.

Migurashi wrote:
Like I said, some people can get in, and some cannot.

That might indicate issues with a router around the rr.com network. Pity the host disabled pinging.

Migurashi wrote:
If you want to reproduce it in a different way, tell your FireWall not to accept Byond files [not the website]. It'll probably give you an equivilent result.

*smiles*
That would just produce a similar 'result', but hardly help to reproduce the problem.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Ok, first of all, when you sign in on the pager, is there any sort of message?

Messages other than what friends are on, what friends are hosting a game if there are any that are, and which among my favorite games that are online? No, I don't [other than the ones listed, obviously.]

Now, could you please try to join Chatters?

Okay, I'm in it.

Did he try to use a port that is not reserved (as that host is currently using TCP port 7, which is reserved for a service called 'Echo'). If you're unaware of reserved ports, 4711 is free (generally you should always use a port above the 'magic number' of 1024).

I'll try and get him to change ports.

Unfortunately, the host seems to have disabled ping, else we could test this rather easy.

That might indicate issues with a router around the rr.com network. Pity the host disabled pinging.

I'll try and get him to turn on pinging, too. If he ever answers his Pager, that is.
In response to Migurashi
Migurashi wrote:
Okay, I'm in it.

Well, that narrows down the possible source of trouble a lot.

Migurashi wrote:
I'll try and get him to change ports.

Could already help, yes.
Just try to ensure that the port is not reserved and is not in use by a program on your/his computer already.

Migurashi wrote:
I'll try and get him to turn on pinging, too. If he ever answers his Pager, that is.

Hehe, ok ;)