ID:293993

BYOND Build Number: 459.1051
Operating System: Windows (server is actually hosted off of UNIX, though)

Problem Description:
Well, I use a service called farawayhost (http://www.farawayhost.com) to host off of their servers. I told them I wanted my Key set to TruthKLS1 for hosting. I got the server fired up and everything, but I found that when I logged-in to the server, I didn't have any host verbs (this also affects the player HUB, as no one can see the server is hosted by my; it just has a blank field).

Normally, it would set the Host by the Dreamseeker, I suppose, but this service uses a BYOND application to Host off of (you don't use Daemon or any of it's extensions). I guess the problem is, the game (Duel Monsters Unlimited) doesn't recognize a Dream Seeker upon entering, and as such, doesn't grant me the Host rank.

I've tried using a config.ini to set the default key to give Host powers without success. I imagine I'm not placing it in the correct directory.

I assume a lot of Devlopers/Experienced Hosts here use Hosting services like Farawayhost, and have encountered problems like this before, so I'm asking you guys as a last resort. The company hasn't really given me any answers -- I think they believe it's the game that's the problem.

Edit:
It keeps a file named dmu.log in it's directory, and reports everything there. Here's what it's saying:

World opened on network port 5027.
Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Public Version 459.1051)
World Opened at 16:54:11 11/28/2009.
No Config file found. You can configure certain default server variables by creating a 'config.ini'. See the games forum for more information.
The BYOND hub reports that port 5027 is reachable.
BYOND(459.1051) Debug: finished erasure with refcount=2 (ref=5:0) DM (:0)
BYOND(459.1051) Debug: finished erasure with refcount=2 (ref=5:1) DM (:0)
BYOND(459.1051) Debug: finished erasure with refcount=2 (ref=5:0) DM (:0)
TruthKLS wrote:
server is actually hosted off of UNIX

Actually, as far as I'm aware, Farawayhost is based on Linux, not Unix ;)

TruthKLS wrote:
I told them I wanted my Key set to TruthKLS1 for hosting.

There is no such functionality for hosting with DreamDaemon under Linux (yet), as you can find out by using the forum search on the developers forum.
You can not rely on world.host being set, as you would under Windows.

TruthKLS wrote:
you don't use Daemon

Actually, what Farawayhost does is create a game, which either calls startup, or sets up a DD instance through shell, so, yes, you're using DreamDaemon, you just can't access it directly.

TruthKLS wrote:
I guess the problem is, the game (Duel Monsters Unlimited) doesn't recognize

The problem is more likely that the game was programmed with a lack of thought. A good game always carters for the possibility of hosting properly (in a Linux shell) and offers solutions for this situation.
You might want to contact the 'owner' of said game.

TruthKLS wrote:
The company hasn't really given me any answers -- I think they believe it's the game that's the problem.

It is. Sorry to say.

TruthKLS wrote:
No Config file found. You can configure certain default server variables by creating a 'config.ini'. See the games forum for more information.

Did you check the game's forum to see what sort of information this configuration file features?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Well, I edited the config with my Key to set the Host upon entering the game, so I do have the contents:

hostkey=TruthKLS;
------WebKitFormBoundaryBTLeLwaEqo9F+dln
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="u.x"

------WebKitFormBoundaryBTLeLwaEqo9F+dln
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="u.y"

------WebKitFormBoundaryBTLeLwaEqo9F+dln--

You can add strings to include a player limit, server password, etc.

I know it's possible to have a Host key set using Linux with the game, as one of our previous Hosts (Bunnie) used to do the same thing. She would host the server and would have Host verbs. Now how she did it, I do not know.

In response to TruthKLS
TruthKLS wrote:
Well, I edited the config with my Key

TruthKLS wrote:

You can edit the file as much as you please, as long as the server doesn't find the file, it won't help you in the slightest. That is the problem you ought to tackle and the solution to this is rather simple. You need to ask the administration team of the game where to place the file (and how it is being searched).
Then follow the advice and you're set.
It is nothing farawayhost or BYOND help could assist on, since we have zero access to the game's source code (I assume farawayhost doesn't, since they're not related at least).