ID:293996

BYOND Build Number: 459.1051
Operating System: Vista
Video/Graphics Card: I believe its ATI Radion HD 2400, and I have DirectX10 just so ya know.
Internet Connection Type: Broadband
Firewalls/Routers: Windows Defender, and I know its not the router as we haven't changed it since the day we got it, and I used Byond well after we got it. Its only been since I updated it a few weeks ago that I had this problem.

Problem Description:
When I try to connect to ANY game, it comes up with the game directory (most of which I'll omit) \Byond\bin\dreamseeker.exe
"Byond://75.127.124.202:2209:" -pager " in a window with an OK button. Hitting OK says "Could not run dreamseeker.exe. Perhaps you should reinstall BYOND?"

Now, while this is annoying, I HAVE reinstalled BYOND. 5 times now. Not once has it worked. I am actually insanely GOOD at computer stuff, so the fact I can't fix it is annoying me. I know how all my firewalls work, and I know its not them. They never gave me any problems before, and I've even tried turning them all off just to see if it would let me through. I'm out of ideas.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
For me, its just trying to OPEN any game. I pick a game a double-click it, it says "no, I hate you", and doesn't run. I'm desperate.
Most unfortunately, you have not been very specific on the steps to reproduce the problem.
You say that you 'pick a game' and 'double click' it. Where?
Your browser, your pager's favourite list, your friends list,...?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Everywhere. I pick a game anywhere in the Byond Pager and I get the error.
In response to Adran
Lummox JR wrote:
The message that dreamseeker.exe could not be started and perhaps you should reinstall is genertated by the pager. The pager is going through this sequence of events:

1) Lookup world URL you tried to join to get the byond://ip:port -- which it does.
2) Find the path where dreamseeker.exe is stored so the game can be launched -- which it does.
3) Attempt to launch a new Dream Seeker process.

Step 3 is where it's failing. Because the path it reported is presumably valid, I can think of only two possibilities. Either you have insufficient memory or other system resources to launch Dream Seeker, or a virus is corrupting (or deleting) dreamseeker.exe or one of its associated DLL files so that it won't launch.

[To me this sounds like your system is running low on memory or resources. You did mention that you're fine after a reboot for a few days (does this apply for you as well?), so probably the only thing you have to do to fix this is restart your computer more often; I doubt the reinstallation is necessary. ] However, a full scan for malware would not go amiss (run your virus scanner, and also try out Malwarebytes). I'd also check into what else you might have started running recently that might be sucking up resources, perhaps due to a memory or GDI leak. And if you have a small amount of memory, upgrading that would probably also be a good idea; then even if you didn't find the source of the problem you could make it happen less often.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
The message that dreamseeker.exe could not be started and perhaps you should reinstall is genertated by the pager. The pager is going through this sequence of events:

1) Lookup world URL you tried to join to get the byond://ip:port -- which it does.
2) Find the path where dreamseeker.exe is stored so the game can be launched -- which it does.
3) Attempt to launch a new Dream Seeker process.

Step 3 is where it's failing. Because the path it reported is presumably valid, I can think of only two possibilities. Either you have insufficient memory or other system resources to launch Dream Seeker, or a virus is corrupting (or deleting) dreamseeker.exe or one of its associated DLL files so that it won't launch.

[To me this sounds like your system is running low on memory or resources. You did mention that you're fine after a reboot for a few days (does this apply for you as well?), so probably the only thing you have to do to fix this is restart your computer more often; I doubt the reinstallation is necessary. ] However, a full scan for malware would not go amiss (run your virus scanner, and also try out Malwarebytes). I'd also check into what else you might have started running recently that might be sucking up resources, perhaps due to a memory or GDI leak. And if you have a small amount of memory, upgrading that would probably also be a good idea; then even if you didn't find the source of the problem you could make it happen less often.

Sadly, I know its not a memory issue. I have 3 gigs of memory, and unless I'm running one of my MMO games, I don't usually go over 70% even with my web browser always open. I also have my scanners run every day on their own anyway, and they never reported anything. And they are up-to-date. I've completely uninstalled, manually deleted anything left over, and reinstalled the entire BYOND program, so there shouldn't be any virus hiding in there. Restarting is difficult, as I use my computer as a server for a few things (it has MORE than enough memory for everything I do), and aside from sudden problems when I boot up and reload all my browser stuff that I use, I usually don't have memory issues. There are times when the browser gets a memory leak, but I've always fixed that when I open the browser. Any other suggestions?
In response to Adran
Even though you're using your computer as server, I'd say a quick reboot should not harm your project enough to scratch on maintenance work (rebooting often fixes some hidden issues as well). If the problem persists through a reboot, you'll have to directly contact Lummox JR, if not, well, you know the track to search on.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Even though you're using your computer as server, I'd say a quick reboot should not harm your project enough to scratch on maintenance work (rebooting often fixes some hidden issues as well). If the problem persists through a reboot, you'll have to directly contact Lummox JR, if not, well, you know the track to search on.

Well, it didn't work. Likewise, I don't know how to contact Lummux JR. And the download for the new update that has apparently come out is saying I gotta download it myself, so I'm gonna go mess with that after I post this and see if updating (again) fixes the problem. Its rather annoying, since this whole problem started when I updated Byond in the first place -_-
In response to Adran
Adran wrote:
I don't know how to contact Lummux JR.

You could report a bug, or use the customer contact form.