Game Hub/Link:
http://www.byond.com/games/saucepanman/shinobioflegend
Internet Connection Type:
DSL
Firewalls/Routers:
Netgear wireless router

Problem Description:
I have an issue with my own game.
The game has recently changed hosts and also my internet connection/home address & router has changed (conicidently the exact same time), and with the advent of the new host, I suffered extreme lag if/when i managed to login, which was rare. I'm talking literally MINUTES of lag, until connection failed.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
It turned out that clearing my cache solved this problem entirely.

However, as soon as I tried loggin in on a different key, the problem popped up again. So I cleared my cache for THAT key. Then when I went to go back on the original key, I had to do it yet again.

Is this an issue with my router? With my host? or another BYOND bug?

Cheers
How exactly did you clear the cache?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Pager; Preferences>Advanced>Clear Cache
In response to Saucepan Man
Please try to follow through all the steps in this article (including cfg).
I'd guess that this should resolve the problem on a global scale.
I have now done this and tested it...
There was no cache folder to delete (I'm assuming since I already deleted it via the software?) And I removed(changed name of) the config filee.

This did not solve the problem.
The fact that there was no cache folder hints to an error, either in you following the instructions, or in your BYOND installation. May I ask for the path/folder's name, which contained the cfg folder?
My guess is that you looked in the wrong place ;)
C:/program files/BYOND/cfg
Saucepan Man wrote:
C:/program files/BYOND/cfg

Now if you carefully read the article I linked to, you'd have seen that there are two BYOND folders and you're supposed to look in the BYOND data folder, not the one containing the BYOND binary files. The folder you'd lave been supposed to be looking for is Located in your "My Documents", e.g. C:/Documents and Settings/YOURNAME/My Documents/BYOND.
When following instructions, it is crucial to follow them in detail, else you're bound to screw up some parts.
lol, is that the polite way of calling me a douche? 'cause I am :P

Alright trying and testing now, sorry mate
Not at all. It's (hopefully) the polite way to tell you that you have to stick to the letter of an instruction, which is a very, very, very (*repeat a couple times more*) common mistake around these forums, which is why I (and some others) are trying to put that much emphasise on that very point.
If I'd get a single cent for every time I told somebody to do something and after five more iterations of bugging, leaving me looking like a persistent (insert random impolite word), that persons confesses that he read it wrong the first four times, I could possibly buy a new car now ;)
yeah i gathered that too / It was kind of a backhand apology from me for doing it wrong.
Having trouble downloading the rsc files with which to play games atm. Another thing that started at the same time as the previous things...
Although I cant login to confirm just yet, it doesnt seem that the problem has been solved...
If you're suffering problems while trying to download resources, it might be a problem with your connection to the server in question. Did you try to ping the server and use a different one that you know has reliable speed for you (is located close on the network)?
I've connected to my current host before, when I cleared my cache and got on, the connection was just dandy... I know that before, a great many other games had the same issue: slow downloading, not downloading at all, or starting then stopping at some point indefinitely.
I know that SOME games were just fine without needing to clear cache and what knot...
But i cant compare anything to normal as I don't actually really login to anything but my own game...
Yep - exactly same result with any number of other games...
Could you provide an example game that was working fine and one that wasn't and describe the steps/experience in more detail, so that I could try and reproduce it?
I've actually discovered something in the last 12 hours (i.e. last night (I live in New Zealand)), and that is that the problem is probably in my wireless router's settings.

Everything suddenly started working MARVELLOUSLY late last night, on any key. But before then, and now, it is giving me HUGE pings again (5+ minutes).

I THINK that its "when my flatmates [wirelessly] connect to the router, my BYOND goes down the drain", furthermre, i suspect its just one of my two flatmates' laptops that does it. Because the one thats on now was off last night, and I heard the other one's laptop playing something, but I don't know if it was online or not...
For the record, I have a wired connection / don't have a wireless receiver yet.

Do I need to foward a port for BYOND Pager or something?
No, your computer should not listen on any ports, but what you might need to do is check signal strength and bandwidth, as well as security settings and network IP.
Signal strength is fine, im on a wired connection. Bandwidth also fine as this happened since day 1 of internet being connected. Plus, I can play Counter Strike at perfectly fine speeds.

Security Settings and Network IP would therefore be the likely problem. However I don't really know how to sort this/what to change it to.
I can get the router address, don't know the passwork just yet. I'm not totally keen to ask them about this specifically its a bit embarrassing o_o'
Can you run a speed test while having trouble with BYOND an while it is working just fine?
Saucepan Man wrote:
I THINK that its "when my flatmates [wirelessly] connect to the router, my BYOND goes down the drain", furthermre, i suspect its just one of my two flatmates' laptops that does it. Because the one thats on now was off last night, and I heard the other one's laptop playing something, but I don't know if it was online or not...
For the record, I have a wired connection / don't have a wireless receiver yet.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts this is your actual problem.

You're in New Zealand and I'm in Australia, therefore we are subject to the same limitations in internet capability. To put it lightly: our ISP's suck, big time. Anyway, ranting aside:

Everything is running fine for you when your flat mates aren't using the internet simply because they aren't using the internet. I'm in the same boat with my network, five computers all hooked into the one internet connection, if someone starts downloading something of considerable size, I can kiss Dream Seeker goodbye until the download is finished.

Check with your flatmates to see if they're downloading a lot of things, or downloading things of a considerable size (do they have torrents or something running?). Chances are, that'll be what's causing your latency issues.
Page: 1 2