ID:294321

BYOND Build Number:
Operating System:
Windows Vista
Video/Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
Game Hub/Link:
Having problems connecting to them all, but the one I play is Duel Monsters Genesis found here: http://www.byond.com/games/EternalDuelistSoul/ DuelMonstersGenesis

Internet Connection Type:
I'm on campus using wireless connection.

Firewalls/Routers:
Again, on campus. No routers, but it's firewalled.

Problem Description:

Basically when I try to join a Duel Monster Genesis game, or any game, I get the "Connecting to.....failed" problem like everyone else seems to have.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I've un/reinstalled BYOND, cleared the cache, did ipconfig /flushdns, restarted my computer, and followed the guide found here: http://www.byond.com/ members/?command=view_comments&post=41589#comments

Nothing works.
As you mention using an internet connection on university, have you ensured that you're allowed to play games? A lot of these restrict their service to 'useful' application.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Oh I have. In fact, in very rare instances I can log onto DMG. But they are so few and far inbetween I consider it a problem.
In response to Marcicus
Are you (successfully) logged in on the pager while trying to connect?
Can you ping the server in question (what's the IP/port)?
When you can connect to the game, does the connection last, or are you being kicked within minutes of playing?
Yes, it says [Public] and not [Offline].

I'm a bit slow when it comes to these things, can you elaborate on the 2nd question?

When I log in a game, the connection lasts until I log off.
In response to Marcicus
Which one is the server you're trying to connect to?
Well, the game I am trying to play is Duel Monsters Genesis. It doesn't matter which server I join, I can't join any of them now. :/

edit: But if you a link to a specific one, here:

byond://BYOND.world.1834030458##webid=0077fe6db391ac86bfb14e ee3c5bead3d2e460b1161bc952

it's also byond://66.197.181.14:1337
In response to Marcicus
Please click on your Windows/Start icon, select 'Run', type cmd and hit enter. A little black box called 'DOS shell' should appear. Type ping 66.197.181.14 and hit enter, then post the results. (This is during a time when you can not connect to the game)
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Please click on your Windows/Start icon, select 'Run', type cmd and hit enter. A little black box called 'DOS shell' should appear. Type ping 66.197.181.14 and hit enter, then post the results. (This is during a time when you can not connect to the game)

Pinging 66.197.181.14 with 32 bytes of data.

Reply from 66.197.181.14: Bytes = 32 Time = 199ms TTL = 43
Reply from 66.197.181.14: Bytes = 32 Time = 158ms TTL = 43
Reply from 66.197.181.14: Bytes = 32 Time = 144ms TTL = 43
Reply from 66.197.181.14: Bytes = 32 Time = 70ms TTL = 43

Ping statistics for 66.197.181.14:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% Loss),

Approximate round trip in milliseconds:

Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 199ms, Average = 142ms

I still can't log in.
In response to Marcicus
Can you connect to Chatters? If so, do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your BYOND pager?
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Can you connect to Chatters? If so, do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your BYOND pager?

I cannot connect to Chatters.

I don't know what hardware acceleration is so I'm going to assume I don't have it on my pager.
In response to Marcicus
This is a rather strange scenario.
Your pager can connect the hub (you're logged in), it's not about map/graphics related issues (you can't connect to chatters), it's not a faulty networking scenario either (you can ping the server in question) and you claim that your university allows gaming, yes, you can even log on randomly without being disconnected after a short while.
This really doesn't leave many an option to the point where it becomes strange.
Is there any common criteria for when you can join a game?
There is not.
In response to Marcicus
There has to be though.
Computers usually don't tend to do random things because they feel like it, despite on how it might look to us humans at times.
Usually I go through the whole uninstall/reinstall schpiel and restart the computer. Then I add back in the BYOND Port to be excepted by my firewall. That only worked twice, and that's because I had to go to what I had saved in my bookmarks to actually join a specific server.

I tried it again and no-go now.
In response to Marcicus
When you say that you had to through a bookmark link to join a server, what happened when you tried to join them through the play now link?
It would not let me join.
In response to Marcicus
I'm sorry, I should have expressed myself better. I meant to ask for the error message or what exactly happens that restricts you from joining.
Connection...failed.
In response to Marcicus
Ok, this should actually be impossible.
Where does the message you receive appear? In the splash screen or in the BYOND pager? You say that you can connect through a bookmark (in other words direct link), but connecting through the world address, which should be resolved to the direct link at the hub resolves in a connection failed message, right?
Page: 1 2