BYOND Build Number:477.1084
Operating System:Windows 7
Video/Graphics Card:
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type:Wi-fi
Firewalls/Routers:Firewall and router

Problem Description:Server hosting problem

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I try to host a server on Pokemon Citrine Online with Dream Daemon but after 30 seconds it says "BYOND hub reports port cannot be reached by players". I've read the help article but none of the troubleshooting affects me except if the built-in 7 firewall has to be added to XP/Vista and if Norton 2010 has the same problems as the 2008 version. Anyone willing to help?
I'm not sure that I understood the part about the ' built-in 7 firewall has to be added to XP/Vista'. What does Windows 7 and it's firewall got to do with Windows XP, or Windows Vista?
Any active firewall has to be configured to allow all four main BYOND executables to access whatever they want and the same with other security software.
Norton products in general are rather famous for being overly protective and degrading configuring of proper rule-sets to an unbearable hassle, if it is at all possible.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
In the help article "I'm having a problem hosting" it says that the norton internet security 2008 and the built-in windows XP/Vista firewall may cause problems when you want to host a server. My question is that none of the listed troubleshooting on that article affect me therefore I would be able to host servers. But I can't so I wanted to know if the built-in windows 7 firewall and norton 2010 were also troubleshooting. While waiting for your responses I'll try to get some info about how I can configure the windows 7 firewall just to see if it is the problem.
In response to Palen db
The mentioned points are just examples that have a specific guide attached. EVERY firewall and EVERY security software has to be configured to allow the connections, including the Windows 7 firewall and Norton Internet Security 2010.
I've configured both windows firewall and norton 2010 and still after 30 secs trying to host a server it says that the port can't be reached by players. I tried with dream seeker as the help article says but it doesn't let me host a server it directly enters an existing server.
In response to Palen db
Palen db wrote:
(...)I tried with dream seeker as the help article says but it doesn't let me host a server it directly enters an existing server.

How exactly are you trying to host a game, step by step?
As the help article says. I go to the main page of BYOND, pull down the My hub menu and selecting the game. The help file then says that Dream Seeker should start up but when I click the game I want it directly joins the existing server. The reason to host another server is that in that game the progress is saved on the server so you have to wait until that person puts the server up again. For this I have like 10 saved states in different servers so I wanted to host by myself because I know I'll have it up everytime I can.
In response to Palen db
Palen db wrote:
As the help article says.

See and that is exactly the problem. People interpret things rather different when they are mentioned vague. This is why you should always try to describe a process as detailed as possible and keep in mind that you know what you are doing, but nobody else does.

Palen db wrote:
I go to the main page of BYOND

Are you talking about www.byond.com in the browser, or about the pager (byond.exe on your local computer)?

Palen db wrote:
(...)joins the existing server.

How do you know that a server is joined and which server are you on?

Palen db wrote:
(...Dream Seeker should start up

As you intend to host Pokemon Citrine Online by Fint, the process won't work via Dream Seeker, due to the way Fint restricted/programmed the game.

Here is what you should do:
  1. Open your pager (byond.exe) and login with your key.
  2. Select File -> Start Dream Daemon..., which should open Dream Daemon
  3. Click on the button with the three dots and navigate to the folder containing the game (/[Your BYOND Storage]/MyHub/fint/pokemon), open the pokemon.dmb
  4. Configure the port according to your port forwarding and firewall set-up, then click the 'Go' button
  5. If you configured port forwarding and all security software to allow the main four BYOND executables to listen on the port, you should now see the message that the port can be reached by the hub. All others can join by the byond-IP:port address that is being displayed to you, while you can simply click that 'arrow' button to join the game
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
(...) you should always try to describe a process as detailed as possible
Well now that you informed me that the process won't work via Dream Seeker I'll focus in Dream Daemon. I've configured Norton and the firewall to let all byond executables (the list I have is byond.exe, Dream Daemon.exe and Dream Seeker.exe) and select the port that Norton specificates in its security net map and still after 30 seconds the message that the port can't be reached by players appears. To see if I'm doing it the right way here is how I configured the firewalls. First I went to Norton where it says net configuration and pulled it down, then in intelligent firewall I clicked in the configure button next to program control. I selected the before mentioned executables and selected allow. Next is the windows firewall. In control panel I select system and security and then I select allow a program through firewall, add the mentioned executables to the list and select the network I'm working (home/private).
Maybe you won't understand some steps, I'm sorry but since I'm spanish I'm translating the whole process so maybe you have a different name for some steps.
In response to Palen db
I just realised that you never mentioned having configured your router(s) for proper port forwarding?
Did you forget to mention this, or haven't you taken that important step?
Schintzelnagler wrote:
I just realised that you never mentioned having configured your router(s)
You're right I haven't realised that point. The website that appears in Dream Daemon to help resolve this problems (www.portforward.com) has a list of routers that they have step-by-step guides but the company my router belongs to isn't there. Does this mean I have to contact the company so they can help me resolve the problem?
In response to Palen db
Your router should come with a manual that contains the information you need, or you could always search for it on-line on your vendors web appearance.
Since your last comment I was gathering information about how to configure my router. I still haven't found it so I tried to host a server to get the link to port forwarding. But instead of that what appears before my eyes is that my server is running without poblems. For now I think that the problem is solved. If I need some more help I'll let you know. Thanks for all the help, it helped me a lot even outside of byond. Oh and before I forget one last question since I'm new to the world of hosting servers: can I host more than one server in different games at once? Also, can I play a game when I'm hosting a server for another game?
In response to Palen db
Yes, you can host multiple games, though that could very well cause bad experience for your players since resources have to be distributed. Same with playing game, you can do that just fine, as long as your system does not reach a bottleneck.
All right then. I can host servers now (the one in citrine is lasting for more than an hour!) and all my questions are answered. Issue resolved. Thanks for all the help