ID:294381

I have a problem whenever i try to log into byond through the icon on my desktop. The log-in screen pops up and then i type in my username and password but when i press log in it says " Byond Hub: Connection failed", also when i try to play the game i want through the website the loading screen pops-up but it says that "Byond Central is not available". What can i do to fix this?
Dear Spiker94.

You haven't provided enough information/ignored the forum template due to posting in the wrong sub forum and as a result of this, we are unable to help you. In order to be of any real assistance, we need to know as much detailed information about your computer as possible.
Please consult All about the BYOND Help Forum if you are unsure on how to fill out any of the template fields.

Once you are sure you have enough information, please reply with all the information you can. From there, we'll see if we'll be able to help you solve your problem.

Yours sincerely,
Schnitzelnagler.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
BYOND Build Number: The newest download that is available as of 10/27/10
Operating System: Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: Nvidia Vanta/ Vanta LT
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type: I have a modem connected to a router and my computer is plugged directly into the router the router is a Wireless N home Router by linksys model no. WRT120N
Firewalls/Routers: I have The windows firewall as well as a purchased antivirus called Webroot

Problem Description: I cannot connect to Byond via the pager as well as connect to any games using the website. When i log into byond using a saved username the pager will never register as logged in, also when i attempt to log in using a unsaved username it does not log in but i get the error "Byond Hub: Connection failed". This began Sat. night (10/23/10) and it has been inoperable since i have looked at the forum for advice and i have tried the available suggestions but none have worked. Also I did not see the template for submitting a problem previously,so i apologize about the previous submission.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: Click on the pager and attempt to log in under an unsaved/saved username, or attempt to connect to a game using the website
In response to Spiker94
It would help if you specified a real number as Build, because people have a very strange and differing perception of the term 'latest/newest'. We've seen that meaning anything from years old versions to not even publicly released unstable betas.

What exact steps have you taken to try and resolve the problem? What have you changed on BYOND or the computer in general around the time that the problem started?

Please ensure that you worked through all these steps.

Thank you in advance.
The build number from what i can tell from the website is 479.1086 or byond 4.0. Also the steps that i have taken are to turn off the firewall momentarily to see if that was what was stopping it and that proved futile. I also did a system restore to a day when byond was working for me and that also did not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled byond as well as uninstall and reinstall google chrome (my internet browser),and both of these steps have not worked and i am at a loss as to what to do. Also i have done all of the suggested ways to alleviate my problem on the help page and none of them have worked.
Thanks for your time and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated
In response to Spiker94
So you did find the cfg folder in your BYOND user directory, right?
Could you please ping byond1.byond.com and show the results here?
I have found the byond folder and within i found the folder cfg on my computer but i dont know what you mean by ping byond1.byond.com.
In response to Spiker94
There should actually be *TWO* 'BYOND folders' and both should contain a folder named cfg (through both these folders differ on what they contain), which is why I hoped to put emphasise on User Directory in my previous post.

If you open BYOND, select the 'File' menu, go to 'Preferences'->'Advanced', you should see a button named 'Open User Directory'. Please check that and see if it contains a cfg folder. Was that the one you attempted to remove as part of the process to fix the issue? (Since you said you took all the steps in the article I linked to).

As for how to ping, you ignored the template when posting your problem, so I lack crucial information to give you instructions (that's why we HAVE that template so we don't have to ask again and a again for each minor detail).
If you tell me what operating system you're using, I could provide specific instructions.

In most Windows based OS, you can select 'run' then type cmd, which should present you with a 'back box' called 'DOS'. There you'd type ping byond1.byond.com and report the result after hitting Enter.
Yes that was the folder that I renamed/deleted and both steps did not work to fix the problem, and the reason why i didnt know what you meant by user directory is because i used the search feature on my computer to search all files for "byond". This brought me to that folder and after renaming it and retrying byond that did not work, so again I searched my computer for the same thing but this time i deleted everything that had byond in it and then reinstalled byond. This step did not work either. Also i followed the template in one of my previous entries and provided you with all the information the template required minus the part that asks for game hub/link and in this template there is the information with what kind of OS i have (which is a Windows XP). Also i found the command screen and entered ping byond1.byond.com and the results were as follows:

Pinging byond1.byond.com [67.228.127.154] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 67.228.127.154:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>
In response to Spiker94
Sorry, didn't spot the template posting, my bad.

Ok, with a 100% data loss, it's no wonder your pager can not successfully log you in. Please open the DOS shell again and this time type tracert byond1.byond.com followed by enter and let me know the result.
its fine and the result from the command is as follows:

Tracing route to byond1.byond.com [67.228.127.154] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dslrouter [192.168.1.1]
3 * * * Request timed out
4 * * * Request timed out
5 * * * Request timed out
6 * * * Request timed out
7 * * * Request timed out
8 * * * Request timed out
9 * * * Request timed out
10 * * * Request timed out
11 * * * Request timed out
12 * * * Request timed out
13 * * * Request timed out
14 * * * Request timed out
15 * * * Request timed out
16 * * * Request timed out
17 * * * Request timed out
18 * * * Request timed out
19 * * * Request timed out
20 * * * Request timed out
21 * * * Request timed out
22 * * * Request timed out
23 * * * Request timed out
24 * * * Request timed out
25 * * * Request timed out
26 * * * Request timed out
27 * * * Request timed out
28 * * * Request timed out
29 * * * Request timed out
30 * * * Request timed out

Trace complete.
In response to Spiker94
Could you ping and tracert www.google.com please?
I got the same results from tracert www.google.com as I did with tracert byond1.byond.com