ID:294434

Hey there people, I'm kind of new (kind of not) but anyway that's besides the point. To get straight into the problem, I am trying to play duel monsters genesis and i am able to successfully join the game (generally I join the one with the most players). Problem is, after a few minutes or so, it decides for the screen to go black and I would assume that means i'm disconnected from the game. Can anyone tell me why that keeps happening? My internet connection is working like a charm, I'm running the latest BYOND (or at least the I downloaded it yesterday so I assume its the latest version) and I'm running WIndow's Vista.

Can Anyone help me?
1) Windows Vista has many issues, so it could be a minor/rare vista bug, although i doubt it (But had to mreantion it, since i used vista, and know how tight it is with security...)

2) did you check the game dev's to check if it is a problem with the game, and not byond? Tht way, you may be helping both everyone who replies here, and the game XD
I've moved this thread to the Software Problems section of the help page for you. there is a form for you to fill out had you originally posted it there that looks like this:

<b>BYOND Build Number</b>:
<b>Operating System</b>:
<b>Video/Graphics Card</b>:
<b>Game Hub/Link</b>:
<b>Internet Connection Type</b>:
<b>Firewalls/Routers</b>:

<b>Problem Description</b>:

<b>Steps to Reproduce Problem</b>:

Are you having this problem with any other games aside from that one?
In response to Wolfnova
I'm actually having the same problem with Pokemon World Online though. If I go idle for around four minutes or more, the game will just D/C. It's not my connection, I already tried reinstalling BYOND and so on. The other players aren't having the same problem. And no, it's not an AFK Boot.
In response to NinjaBling
NinjaBling wrote:
I'm actually having the same problem with Pokemon World Online though. If I go idle for around four minutes or more, the game will just D/C. It's not my connection, I already tried reinstalling BYOND and so on. The other players aren't having the same problem. And no, it's not an AFK Boot.

If this happens specifically when you idle, the odds of it being your connection are quite good. A wireless router with a bad signal is usually sufficient to cause unexpected disconnects, but if a router is trying to gauge if your connection is still alive and isn't very bright about it, it might be overenthusiastically dropping the connection.

That's not to rule out a problem with the server though. If it happens on all or most other games it's you, but if it happens just on this one it's more likely the server.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks for replying Lummox. I think it's a problem with the connection shared between the host and I. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have a D-Link wireless router, and there were a couple of other players having the same problem, but it just went away for them without them doing anything.
In response to NinjaBling
NinjaBling wrote:
Thanks for replying Lummox. I think it's a problem with the connection shared between the host and I. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have a D-Link wireless router, and there were a couple of other players having the same problem, but it just went away for them without them doing anything.

If you can, test with a hardwired connection to see if it goes away. Otherwise, I'd try anything that might improve the signal strength on your wireless router, and you may be able to configure some options to tell it to keep connections alive longer. I can't really be more specific than that, but hopefully some D-Link owners on Google will have the answers to help you.

Lummox JR